Cargo capacities

TNEagle

Why are the cargo capacities not listed? I'm interested also in the new 3418 yet no info on weights. With a 18 ft. garage I am hoping it will have a nice size capacity. I tried calling the factory...talked to an engineer...he knew nothing!

danemayer

Hi TNeagle,

If you look at a unit on a dealer lot, on the entry door frame, there's a sticker showing the empty weight as the trailer left the factory. Subtract that from GVWR and you'll know how much stuff you can add; whether you call it cargo or clothing or pots and pans.

Depending on what options have been installed, and how much stuff you carry, and how much water is in your tanks, and how much fuel is in the fuel cells, the cargo capacity will vary tremendously.

HornedToad

With the UVW Unloaded Vehicle Weight and GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating listed for most of the trailers on the Heartland website you should be able to figure the CCC Cargo Carring Capacity or I've also seen it referred to as the NCC. (Net Cargo Capacity?) I did not see the UVW listed for the 3418 but it has the same 15,500 lbs GVWR as my 38 ft Torque 321 so maybe this will help.

The sticker on my trailer list the UVW @ 11,500 lbs, when I registered it I had to take in a weight ticket and it weighed 12,250 lbs with my gear (that's the added generator, fuel station & propane full, a basement full of tables/chairs/ect and all the linens/kitchen stuff & supplies) then if your boon-docking/tailgating you need to add 800 lbs for a full tank of fresh water. So I figure my CCC is the 15,500 lbs GVWR less the 13,000 lbs for UVW+Gear+Water = 2,500 lbs CCC. Which probably not by coincidence is the Cargo Capacity of the garage. Even though the GVWR of the 3418 & 321 are the same, the UVW of the 3418 is probably quit a bit less as it only has two slides compared to three which would mean the CCC is much more, my guess would be by over 1,000 lbs.

You may want to check and see if you can find a dealer website with the 3418 listed, a lot of the dealers include a picture of the weight sticker in the photo portfolio.

ADDED COMMENT: There is something I didn't take into consideration when I compared this orange to my apple. Cyclone's are 6 inches taller and 1,000 lbs heaver than a Torque. This I knew from comparing a TQ380 to a CY3800.

Last edited:

haulinem

Why are the cargo capacities not listed? I'm interested also in the new 3418 yet no info on weights. With a 18 ft. garage I am hoping it will have a nice size capacity. I tried calling the factory...talked to an engineer...he knew nothing!

GARAGE AREA
  • Plywood Garage Flooring
 2 axle (2,500 lb.) Rated 3 axle (3,000 lb.) rated
  • This is taken directly from the Cyclone Features and Options page of the Heartland website. Hard to believe an 18' garage will only hold 2500lbs when a portion of the garage would surely be over the rear axle. All of my garage is behind the rear axle and it is rated at 3,000lbs. Don't know why the dry weights and capacities aren't listed for all models.

DW_Gray

Well this may be interesting. If you max out the garage weight of 2,500 pounds, that will sure leave you little weight for anything else.

oscar

Look at a specific unit and read the yellow sticker……..Depending on options you may not even get close to the load capacity of the garage. I know I don't.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The dry weight of the 3418 loaded up was 12,600lbs with a 2,900lbs unloaded pin weight. The GVWR is 15,500 and the garage is rated for 2,500lbs.

DW_Gray

The dry weight of the 3418 loaded up was 12,600lbs with a 2,900lbs unloaded pin weight. The GVWR is 15,500 and the garage is rated for 2,500lbs.

Yep, there you have it. This toy hauler is to be used in nudest campgrounds. After loading up the toys, food and water, there's no room for anything else. :p

TNEagle

I know there is a demand for folks that what to be able to haul thier Jeeps or other vehicles yet the only way is to have a Motorhome and tow. Why would you want to have a 18 ft garage if you can't load a 4,000 lb car? I bet there are more people that want this capibility than just more space for bicyles. And you should be able to get all the information off the manufacturer's site so you know going out the door what you're looking for. Most dealerships only carry one or two different models to look at anyway. Most of my shopping is done over the internet first.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Never having hauled a "toy hauler" I wonder how having 2500# of vehicles in the garage would affect the pin weight. Just food for thought...

DW_Gray

Never having hauled a "toy hauler" I wonder how having 2500# of vehicles in the garage would affect the pin weight. Just food for thought...

It absolutely will change the pin weight and the amount will decrease the pin weight depending on how much weight is added in the garage.

Example: After adding the 1,800 pound smart car, my pin weight decreased by 325 pounds.

CrazyCooter

I put almost 2500lb or more in the center proximity of my garage every trip out and the only effect I can tell other than reduced pin weight is better overall ride and handling of the trailer.

readytohitheroad

I would hope that Heartland engineers look hard at these discussions involving CC of TH's. The CC really needs to be around 3500lbs to make these TH's a bit more practical. DW and I are looking away from Heartland products because other manufacturers are making TH's with much higher CC's. In our case we need to be able to haul two Harleys in the garage that by themselves will weigh a combined 1800 lbs. Add a full water tank and we have utilized 100% of our CC's. How do we then haul our beer?? :)

CrazyCooter

3.5K capacity is hardly adequate for a vehicle that sleeps 8-10 people and hauls toys! 4K plus a full water tank would be a good start......

readytohitheroad

crazycooter, would agree but since Heartland is now at only 2500 I did not want to shock them! DW and I were ready to purchase until I started crunching numbers on CC. Came up short. We are now trying to figure out plan B. May need to sell the truck we purchased and go with a DP and a covered trailer for the bikes. Problem is I need a truck for my hunting adventures.

CrazyCooter

2,500 is the garage floor rating. CCC is whole other deal. I'm betting the 18' garage has more than a 2,500 lb rating

Mine came in at 11,722 as delivered and a posted 4,230 CCC for a total of 15,952 of a 16,000 GVW I guess the extra 48lb is for propane.......We easily went right on past that with just two people and a SXS!

I just wish they would post all of the specs.....and only specs that are true to dimensions!

DW_Gray

At what point are you folks filling the water tank?

Only those who dry camp would actually fill the water tank. And when they do, if possible, they fill them upon arrival in the area. I rarely travel with water in the tank and when I do, it’s no more than 1/3 full. Having water in the tank depends on my travel route and if I may end up staying at a parking lot somewhere when a campground is not conveniently located. I keep just enough to get us through the day or night.