Caulking and Water Proofing Compartment Doors and Windows

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
So, I researched all the past threads and now have some serious questions to poll you folks on:

I need to replace my two basement doors. Do I use Proflex or Sikaflex 505 UV for my outside caulk? Do I use butyl tape on the inside edges of the doors as I install them? I also need to replace my two small non-opening side windows. Butyl tape behind the window flanges? or again stick to caulk?

All replies are welcome. I want to order the necessary materials or go get them ASAP.

Thanks!!!

FJ

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I’ve replaced all four of the side compartment doors. The OEM’s did not have butyl tape, only a thin bead of caulk around the perimeter of the frames. I applied a heavy bead to the backside of the frame flange, secured them, and then ran a bead around the edge. I also attached a length of roof edge gutter above them to divert the water that runs down the sides. It was collecting in the door frames, under the door panels, and being wicked into the door panels, causing them to swell and crack.

If you look at the bottom of the door panels, you’ll see holes. Fill them with silicone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
That is exactly what happened to my doors. Can you take a picture of what you did at the top of your compartment doors? Heartland made good on the doors over a year ago and I am now just getting the chance to replace them.

Thanks,

FJ

JohnDar

I’ll post it tomorrow.

Heartland could not help with the doors, since they changed suppliers. I bought them from another HL member that read my posts about them and had kept his original doors after changing to all metal ones. We came to a price and he shipped them to me. Pretty easy to remove and reinstall the “new” ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

As promised, here are some photos of my door gutter installation. The first photo is the damage done to the OEM door on the off-door side from absorbing water.

Attachments

• OEM Door 1.jpg
    OEM Door 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Door Side.JPG
    Door Side.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 78
  • ODS gutter.JPG
    ODS gutter.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Gutter close-up.jpg
    Gutter close-up.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 76

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
John,

Thank you for the pictures! Now it makes perfect sense. I will be doing the same modification in the next couple of weeks.

FJ

JohnDar

John,

Thank you for the pictures! Now it makes perfect sense. I will be doing the same modification in the next couple of weeks.

FJ

Forgot to add that I did use butyl tape under the strips of gutter before screwing them down. Predrilled a pilot hole for the screws, too. Ran caulk along the top edges.