A new tool (toy) to find air leaks around windows and doors

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We got our new Ashland in December and I have been stuck at home under Doctors orders. W love our Ashland but trying to keep it warn during the winter I did find a few issues. There were a couple of 1/4 inch gaps in the weather stripping but only on the Emergency Exits. We get a lot of wind here in Santa Fe and the air leaks were big enough to see the blinds move with all windows and doors closed. The rest of the windows were just fine. Because of all my free time I decided to buy a new tool. It is called a Thermal Leak Detector and it is made by Black & Decker. Costs $27.85 on Amazon and no I do not work for Black & Decker or Amazon. It is a very cool device especially if you think you are losing heat (winter) or cool air (summer). I am going to try and attach a video so you can see it in action. In summary it will show you where your RV has thermal leaks and all you do is point it to the areas like doors, windows or any place that might be an issue.

Here is the video

No that is not me in the video. I have more hair.

Also I closed the leaks around the Exit Windows and also under the main Door the TLD100 showed a major loss of heat and I bough some heavy duty weather stripping and sealed that area. I went from two 30# propane tanks a week to less than one a week with temperatures going down in the very low 20s at night. I do have a 1,500 watt floor heater in the main cabin and a little 400 watt in the basement as backup. I monitor the temperature in both the main cabin and basement and the new weather stripping has reduced the heat loss by more than half.

Wharton

Sounds good, thinking of getting one for my DH(birthday coming up) but we may own something similar. He uses a thermal checker for our tires and hubs, is that the same thing? Thanks, DW

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After seeing this, I played with my Harbor Freight laser thermometer. It will show variation in temperatures, just won't have that color changing spot on the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk