Changing cable connectors-tool

mobilcastle

What are you using to change cable and or satellite connectors on your cable/satellite wire. Do you use a crimper or compression tool to mount these F connectors. If you like your tool post the name and model#.
Thank in advance,
Steve

rick_debbie_gallant

Inside my rig I use the crimping tool with gold crimps of the correct size.
For out side I use gold compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Go to Home Depot or Menards, they have the tools you need.
Get the compression tool and stripper. Both great tools to have.
And don't forget a bucket of compression F-connectors for RG-6 cable.
I think my tools are made by DataShark but can't help with a model number.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Also, don't forget the little spin off coax stripper. As of now, I still use the crimp style connectors but if the need ever comes up again, I'll switch to the compression fittings and tool.

porthole

Retired
I would recommend sticking with compression style and make sure your connectors match the cable, RG-6 or RG-6 quad.
If you replace any cable go with at least the "quad" rating.

TXTiger

My son is an installer for Cox Cable. I use him, no need to buy tools, lol lol lol. However he lives in Omaha, NE and I am in San Diego, CA so I have to plan my repairs for when I am traveling.

jbeletti

Personal opinion here and based on a lot of CATV RF experience (30 yrs)...

I don't "prefer" to use quad shield (foil-braid-foil-braid) coax. It has it's place - certainly, but that place is typically where RF interference is suspected. For the short runs in our homes and RVs, I'd prefer to use a standard dual-shield (foil-braid), where interference at the frequencies we're using is not suspected and where connectors are properly crafted.

In the business, there are different connectors for different construction of coax. Dual shield and quad shield having different connectors. Reason being, the outside diameter (OD) of the cables are different. It's impossible to "properly" craft a standard connector (one made specifically for dual shield) onto quad shield cable.

This all said, for the home gamer like us, RG6/RG6Q connectors are available at retail. That is, a single connector with enough tolerance to fit both standard (dual shield) and quad shield coax. To this however - I cry "foul". Hate those connectors.

I wired my new home with quad shield as that's all I could find at my local Lowes (small town). I bought the Ideal brand of connectors that are supposed to work on dual/quad. Oh man - HARD to install on quad. I dialoged with Ideal directly on this and they came back with a special process for preparing the cable for the connector. In my opinion, it somewhat defeats the purpose of quad shield - to trim it the way they suggest in order to make the connector fit.

To do all over, I'd work harder (order online) to obtain standard dual shield coax.

Okay - off my coax soapbox. I suggest each does his own own research and draw their own conclusions on what coax to use for your application - instead of allowing me to impose my conclusions on them.

mobilcastle

Personal opinion here and based on a lot of CATV RF experience (30 yrs)...

I don't "prefer" to use quad shield (foil-braid-foil-braid) coax. It has it's place - certainly, but that place is typically where RF interference is suspected. For the short runs in our homes and RVs, I'd prefer to use a standard dual-shield (foil-braid), where interference at the frequencies we're using is not suspected and where connectors are properly crafted.

In the business, there are different connectors for different construction of coax. Dual shield and quad shield having different connectors. Reason being, the outside diameter (OD) of the cables are different. It's impossible to "properly" craft a standard connector (one made specifically for dual shield) onto quad shield cable.

This all said, for the home gamer like us, RG6/RG6Q connectors are available at retail. That is, a single connector with enough tolerance to fit both standard (dual shield) and quad shield coax. To this however - I cry "foul". Hate those connectors.

I wired my new home with quad shield as that's all I could find at my local Lowes (small town). I bought the Ideal brand of connectors that are supposed to work on dual/quad. Oh man - HARD to install on quad. I dialoged with Ideal directly on this and they came back with a special process for preparing the cable for the connector. In my opinion, it somewhat defeats the purpose of quad shield - to trim it the way they suggest in order to make the connector fit.

To do all over, I'd work harder (order online) to obtain standard dual shield coax.

Okay - off my coax soapbox. I suggest each does his own own research and draw their own conclusions on what coax to use for your application - instead of allowing me to impose my conclusions on them.
I ruined about 3 connectors made by Ideal before I decided to start the connector on the cable by hand then hold the cable between two pieces of wood in a vice and finished by tapping it on with a socket to get the wire in the right position so I could compress it. I just happen to have a long piece of quad shield, but if I need any more I surely will buy dual shield. I am going to test it soon to see if it works-If not I am going to cut off the ends and get some true quad connectors or dual shield cable. I was wondering why I could not just push them on like they are suppose to go on. Thanks for the post. Since you worked with cable for many years, is there a way to test the line to see if it works with a volt meter?
Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what you want to check, you could use a multimeter, with some creative shorting.
But the easiest way would be to have ONE OF THESE.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

...Since you worked with cable for many years, is there a way to test the line to see if it works with a volt meter?
Steve

I have no test gear anymore, but we used signal level meters and TDRs (time domain reflectometers) to test levels and test cables respectively. I think with a VOM (volt ohm meter), in the resistance (ohms) mode, you can test a cable to see if it's shorted or open. Do this with NOTHING connected to either end of the cable and no splitters in the line. Shield to ground should be infinite resistance. Then short (shield to ground) one end of the cable while reading the other with the meter (shield to ground) and you should have a dead short.

Been out of the field for many years - I'm sure there's some lower cost coax cable testers for home users by now but I'm not in the game so I'm out of the loop :)