Changing my Mobile Internet Service Plan

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With our cell phones, the wife's iPad mini and the MiFi all packaged together (unlimited talk & texting), it is a tad pricey. Just upgraded from 8GB to 10GB data. At home, we use Comcast for internet and will reduce the Verizon data amount for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Re: Millenicom increases rate by ~29% on 1-May-2014

Jim, can you give us a update on how the Millenicom is working out for you?

Michael,

I noticed all month of July, my service being REAL slow. Finally dug into it last night and sure enough, very slow speed on it. Even after a factory reset. I compared this to the speed I was getting on my phone, also using Verizon connected to 4G: .17 Mbps vs 14 Mbps. So the Jetpack (MiFi) was sick.

Worked with Millenicom via online chat on trying this and that. They are putting in a ticket for me. Hope to hear back. Not sure if they'll have to replace the modem or what. If it's a modem issue, I won't hold that against Millenicom. I will report back.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thank you for all the information you posted about your experience. I was about to get one these wifi devices with unlimited data. I guess it is back to figuring out a lower cost solution. Currently, I use freedompop and have 2 gb data on the sprint network for about $21 per month with rollover. It works really well when we have coverage but there are parts of Iowa that don't have good coverage with sprint.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

Thanks for the info. Has it been able to connect in most places you have visited?

Michael,

I noticed all month of July, my service being REAL slow. Finally dug into it last night and sure enough, very slow speed on it. Even after a factory reset. I compared this to the speed I was getting on my phone, also using Verizon connected to 4G: .17 Mbps vs 14 Mbps. So the Jetpack (MiFi) was sick.

Worked with Millenicom via online chat on trying this and that. They are putting in a ticket for me. Hope to hear back. Not sure if they'll have to replace the modem or what. If it's a modem issue, I won't hold that against Millenicom. I will report back.

jbeletti

Thanks for the info. Has it been able to connect in most places you have visited?

Update: IT WORKS!

I heard back from Millenicom. They corresponded with their upstream provider (Verizon) and here's what I was told:
In order to resolve the situation, the upstream carrier actually had to reset the data cycle on your device when reformatting some of the problematic features.

Whatever that means :) Anyway, once we got to our next location with a decent cellular signal, we were back in business with great speeds. Happy again :)

wdk450

I finally broke down due to the internet problems I have had at this (South Jetty) Thousand Trails, and bought the Verizon MiFi 5510L Hotspot from the local Verizon Vendor (actually part of a group out of Indiana) here in Florence, Oregon. My startup fees were about $60 ($0.99 for the device), and the nice rep found a sales code to get me 5GB (instead of their regular 3GB) for $50 a month. This should be enough for my uses.

BTW, this small vendor is giving out free 150 pre-loaded school backpacks today, and I contributed to that cause.

jbeletti

Changed back to Verizon from Millenicom for my Mobile Internet Service

Okay, today was the day. I cancelled my Internet service with Millenicom and boosted my plan with Verizon.

Details
Dropped my $90 / 20GB plan with Millenicom, moved that MiFi over to Verizon, boosted my Verizon data plan from 6GB to 40GB.

Net change
Gained 14GB for no net change in cost ($20 more to add MiFi to VZW and $70 more to go from 6GB to 40GB)

What I did doesn't fit for everyone. We have high data needs compared to most as I work from the road most of the time. I do use campground WiFi via my WiFi Ranger as much as possible, and that really helps. But campground WiFi is beyond hit-or-miss for me. It's usually miss :(

As others have noted here, the data special at Verizon runs until the end of October, so if you need more data, now's the time to act.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Re: Changed back to Verizon from Millenicom for my Mobile Internet Service

Good timing Jim. word today is Verizon just bought Millenicom...we recently upped our Verizon plan from 20g to 30g and it dropped our bill $20 a month...:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Verizon has some great deals on data plans this month.
Regular 30 gig is $225, thru the end of the month it's $130. 40 gig $300/$150.

I hated to do it, but I gave up my unlimited data. Now we have two new Galaxy S5's, 40 gig of data and unlimited everything else.
This should work.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I hated to do it, but I gave up my unlimited data. Now we have two new Galaxy S5's, 40 gig of data and unlimited everything else.
This should work.

Peace
Dave

[/QUOTE] I'll NEVER give up my unlimited data
LOL got ya

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although the Comcast is our ISP at home, there have been times when it went down and I fired up the Verizon 5510L to get online. Here at the Garden City, SC resort we're at, they have a Verizon WiFi router in the unit. Works great although I still switch to my MiFi for "personal" business, like banking. Using their system for routine internet doesn't impact my data plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

This should work.

Ya finally did it :) And two new phones too. 40GB! I'll have to poach off you when my 40 runs out :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Didn't think I'd give up my unlimited either...but several months back our 3g connection got so slow, we really had no choice. Think Verizon was throttling our 3g service to force us to upgrade! However, now that I have 4g I'm glad I did and the 30 gigs are gonna work out just great!

mobilcastle

Millenicom sold out to Verizon

I got an email in reference to this tonight. What does Verizon offer if you have your own equipment? Millenicom was $90 for 20GB. Verizon is to contact me soon according to the email.

mobilcastle

Are you saying that with the two phones and the data package of 40GB together is $150 per month? No cost for phone usage?What price are the phones or were they free? Did you have to buy the Jet pack or was it free? Access fee included in the $150? 2 year contract? I am trying to figure out what the total cost is per month for everything before taxes if you wouldn't mind sharing the information. If you got all of the above for $150 per month you got a great deal!!
Thanks
Steve

This should work.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Are you saying that with the two phones and the data package of 40GB together is $150 per month? No cost for phone usage?What price are the phones or were they free? Did you have to buy the Jet pack or was it free? Access fee included in the $150? 2 year contract? I am trying to figure out what the total cost is per month for everything before taxes if you wouldn't mind sharing the information. If you got all of the above for $150 per month you got a great deal!!
Thanks
Steve

Steve,

For me, I pay $150 for "40 GB of Data". Then I pay a fee to have my devices on my account as follows:
- $40 per month each for 2 Smartphones
- $10 per month for 1 iPad
- $20 per month for 1 MiFi (aka Jetpack)
--------------------
$110 per month in total for these devices + $150 per month for data = $260 per month plus insurance, taxes and misc. fees to Verizon.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying that with the two phones and the data package of 40GB together is $150 per month?
Thanks
Steve
No. I pay $150 for the 40gb of data, kinda. See below.

I signed up for the Edge program.
This means that I am paying for the phones on a monthly basis.
In one year I can upgrade the phones.

This is what I pay.
-Line access fee is $15 per phone = $30/mo
-Insurance on each phone is $10 = $20/mo
-40 GB data $150 minus 15% = $127.50/mo
Those items plus tax.
Phone payment on the Edge plan is $32.50 per phone = $65/mo, and not taxed.
---------------
$242.50 + tax per month

Both phones act as hotspot.

Peace
Dave

Last edited: