Charging AGM Batterues

Cholo

I just ordered a new Landmark Newport and I"m in the process of figuring out some of the extras I want my dealer to add to my RV. I asked him to price out 4 6V AGM batteries, WOW! Expensive! I have a question he's not sure about. I had read and/or heard that AGM batteries require a "special" charger. Some have said that they may "blow up" if you do not use the proper charger. Others say they just won't work as well or last very long. Is this true? If so, will the charger in the Landmark work? What are some of your thoughts on AGM batteries?

Thanks

Jim.Allison

The charge curve is different for an AGM when using them in this manner. They are probably not going to blow up but you will be abusing them. However, a charger that is programable will allow you to choose the type of battery you have and will automatically select a proper charge curve. Do not ever equalize an AGM. Probably best to go with a flooded Lead Acid. Best bang for the buck and durable as heck.

I just ordered a new Landmark Newport and I"m in the process of figuring out some of the extras I want my dealer to add to my RV. I asked him to price out 4 6V AGM batteries, WOW! Expensive! I have a question he's not sure about. I had read and/or heard that AGM batteries require a "special" charger. Some have said that they may "blow up" if you do not use the proper charger. Others say they just won't work as well or last very long. Is this true? If so, will the charger in the Landmark work? What are some of your thoughts on AGM batteries?

Thanks

TedS

I had two 12v DEKA AGM batteries in my Bighorn and still have the batteries after 5 years on no special charger. Don't need a special charger. Check with the battery manufacturer.

Jim.Allison

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A (bulk and acceptance) charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). You cannot know this without a temp sensor on your batt, and you cannot specify the charging curve, including the "float voltage" without a interface with the charger. IMHO, If you are going to spend money on AGM batts, get a programable charger and a temp sensor to go with them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BTW there is absolutely no advantage to using 6v batts in series. Get yourself 2 12v in parallel and you will be happier and your system will be more reliable. [/FONT]

Cholo

As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A (bulk and acceptance) charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). You cannot know this without a temp sensor on your batt, and you cannot specify the charging curve, including the "float voltage" without a interface with the charger. IMHO, If you are going to spend money on AGM batts, get a programable charger and a temp sensor to go with them.

BTW there is absolutely no advantage to using 6v batts in series. Get yourself 2 12v in parallel and you will be happier and your system will be more reliable.

Thank you for the info.
If I may, I have a follow up question: When you say get 2 12v instead of 4 6 volt, do you mean 12v AGM's or ?

Jim.Allison

well I say 12v instead of 6v because you can eliminate connections. When you connect 6v batts in series to make a set that produces 12V anyway, you can eliminate at least one connection between each set, it is much easier to just have 12v to begin with. Cable cost money and the connections have to be maintained. This is not to say that battery banks consisting of 6v batts do not have a place, they certainly do in larger systems. IMHO one should just cut to the chase and go 12v to start off with.

AGMs have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends on what fits your usage. I use FLA instead of AGM, but with quality AGMs, a charger/converter with an operator interface and temp sensor, you would potentially a really good system.

Gell Cells are OUT, they are not fit for our applications, the players are FLA, AGM, and specific types of lithium batts. Lithium is just too expensive for most people. This leaves FLA and AGM.

AGMs can be deep cycled, deeper and more often than FLA, and they are spill proof. So doing the math AGMs may give you more with less weight, and expense than FLA. You have to do a comparison to get the answere. But this requires some idea of what you want to accomplish in the end.

If you would like to share what you envision that you want your system to do for you, I might be able to guide you a little. I have some links you might want to read that will help you.

Cholo

Again, thanks for the help. Let me start by saying I'm completely new to this and I am learning as we go. I have a new Newport on order and want to set it up right the first time. It will have a generator. Having said that, here are my major needs:
Most of our "camping" will be in RV camp sites with full hookups. I am on 24 hour oxygen and have a concentrator running 24/7. At night along with the oxygen, I use a CPAP machine. As long as I'm plugged in I will be fine. What I am in need of is power for the days I may want to boondock. If I can only get enough battery power to boondock for 1-2 days fine. If adding another battery or two gets me 7 days that's better. Also, I read and was told that although AGM batteries may give you more bang for your buck, the installed charger in my Newport may not be suited for them. I am wanting thoughts and ideas about my situation. I hope this was clear.

Jim.Allison

This is a solvable problem, but I think it is going to be more technique and regiment than how many batteries you have onboard. I will help you get to some level of understanding about how you fit into the envelope. Please share with me the brand and model # of the concentrator. And does it fill bottles also? I designed a system for my dad so I'm familiar with your needs.

Rest assured that the CPAP is not a problem for the house batts so we can put that machine aside for the time being.

Post the info here so others can follow along, there are many with the CPAP and battery issue. Perhaps there are some with the O2 generator problem as well.

Again, thanks for the help. Let me start by saying I'm completely new to this and I am learning as we go. I have a new Newport on order and want to set it up right the first time. It will have a generator. Having said that, here are my major needs:
Most of our "camping" will be in RV camp sites with full hookups. I am on 24 hour oxygen and have a concentrator running 24/7. At night along with the oxygen, I use a CPAP machine. As long as I'm plugged in I will be fine. What I am in need of is power for the days I may want to boondock. If I can only get enough battery power to boondock for 1-2 days fine. If adding another battery or two gets me 7 days that's better. Also, I read and was told that although AGM batteries may give you more bang for your buck, the installed charger in my Newport may not be suited for them. I am wanting thoughts and ideas about my situation. I hope this was clear.

Cholo

This is a solvable problem, but I think it is going to be more technique and regiment than how many batteries you have onboard. I will help you get to some level of understanding about how you fit into the envelope. Please share with me the brand and model # of the concentrator. And does it fill bottles also? I designed a system for my dad so I'm familiar with your needs.

Rest assured that the CPAP is not a problem for the house batts so we can put that machine aside for the time being.

Post the info here so others can follow along, there are many with the CPAP and battery issue. Perhaps there are some with the O2 generator problem as well.

Good to hear. I would like to know how he ran his hoses! Anyways, my concentrator is a Respironics Everflo. Does not fill bottles.