Check out these slick mods....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

So we have an offer in on a 2010 North Trail 32BHDS, waiting on inspection. Check out what the previous owners did. At first we wondered why there was no bunkhouse photo on the website. Looks like that's because they removed the bunk and stock sofa! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! We have two kids so we need that bunk!

Looks like we'll be rebuilding a bunk. We don't THINK it will be too hard but any tips/photos you all can provide would be useful.

Wait till you see the mod in the outdoor kitchen.

I'm not even sure what to say. LOL! Who does that to a cupboard? :p

So we'll need some new cupboards for sure...and a sink. Based on internet photos it seems like the TV should be down below where it is and a microwave should be up top. Sigh.

Otherwise we really like the trailer and are very excited. We have had a 2007 Mallard 18ck for 10 years so we're excited for more room! The ratty sofa will be coming out of the bunk house and I'm looking for fun ideas of what to put down there. Our kids are 4 and 7 so some sort of activity table and chairs might be fun. They haven't had camping sleepovers yet but if/when they do it would be simple enough to put down an air mattress or foamy for friends.

Thanks for any tips you can offer,
Heather

Power247

Our Pioneer has a similar bunkhouse layout except we have a lower and upper bunk in the slideout. The top bunk is hinged to the slide wall so it can be propped up to give the lower bunk more room. I don't have an pics on hand but can get some next time I'm there.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

MCTalley

On the outdoor cabinets, you could measure the original size of the doors and potentially get a pair of doors sent to you from Heartland (or ask the dealer to throw in a set of doors in the deal). Same with the missing sink.

Hi Greg! I'd love a pic or two of your upper bunk! If you could measure it for me too that would be awesome. I'm starting to wonder how big to make it to ensure that it can still fold up properly and hook into the holes on the wall. The RV Parts Department says they carry the proper latches so that's good.

I'm trying to figure out how to build the bunk in a lightweight way. Hubby thinks 3/4" plywood but that sounds heavy. I'm thinking a 2"x2" frame with wall board over top. I found this photo online of someone taking apart their bunk. Not sure what RV it was in.

That seems lighter.

Heather

Our Pioneer has a similar bunkhouse layout except we have a lower and upper bunk in the slideout. The top bunk is hinged to the slide wall so it can be propped up to give the lower bunk more room. I don't have an pics on hand but can get some next time I'm there.

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

On the outdoor cabinets, you could measure the original size of the doors and potentially get a pair of doors sent to you from Heartland (or ask the dealer to throw in a set of doors in the deal). Same with the missing sink.

Thanks! I'll have to call Heartland. I considered just buying any cabinets and if they don't match I can paint the outdoor kitchen white. Just an idea. I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow. It also looks like they changed the bottom shelf in that cupboard too! Some people. Maybe they broke it?

Unfortunately the unit is consignment so it's as-is.

H

Power247

Hi Greg! I'd love a pic or two of your upper bunk! If you could measure it for me too that would be awesome. I'm starting to wonder how big to make it to ensure that it can still fold up properly and hook into the holes on the wall. The RV Parts Department says they carry the proper latches so that's good.

I'm trying to figure out how to build the bunk in a lightweight way. Hubby thinks 3/4" plywood but that sounds heavy. I'm thinking a 2"x2" frame with wall board over top. I found this photo online of someone taking apart their bunk. Not sure what RV it was in.

That seems lighter.

Heather

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I'll have to call Heartland. I considered just buying any cabinets and if they don't match I can paint the outdoor kitchen white. Just an idea. I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow. It also looks like they changed the bottom shelf in that cupboard too! Some people. Maybe they broke it?

Unfortunately the unit is consignment so it's as-is.

H
The top bunk is 28" x 73" in our Pioneer. I still had the measures saved in my phone but no pics for some reason. You do not want the bunk to extend too much beyond the support cleats on the side walls. If you decide to go 36" deep to match the bunk on the other side you will want to extend the cleats.

As for construction, the pic you posted seems about right for the weight. It is very light. Glueing and screwing luan over the 2x2 inner frame is surprisingly strong and easily supports the weight of a child. Ours has a 36" lower bunk where the couch is in yours so the top bunk is typically just a place for their travelling stuff and bean bag chairs. You could always step up to 1/4" or 1\2" birch plywood for the top layer if you felt like beefing it up a bit but 3x4" is definitely overkill.

Greg

The top bunk is 28" x 73" in our Pioneer. I still had the measures saved in my phone but no pics for some reason. You do not want the bunk to extend too much beyond the support cleats on the side walls. If you decide to go 36" deep to match the bunk on the other side you will want to extend the cleats.

As for construction, the pic you posted seems about right for the weight. It is very light. Glueing and screwing luan over the 2x2 inner frame is surprisingly strong and easily supports the weight of a child. Ours has a 36" lower bunk where the couch is in yours so the top bunk is typically just a place for their travelling stuff and bean bag chairs. You could always step up to 1/4" or 1\2" birch plywood for the top layer if you felt like beefing it up a bit but 3x4" is definitely overkill.

Greg

Thanks so much. My daughter is 7 and only weighs 53 so she isn't exactly a heavyweight. Might be good to put some plywood on top though and some of that decorative wall board on the bottom. I doubt they still make our exact faux wall paper but even just white or a light brown would do just fine.

I was thinking of beanbag chairs for the kids on the bottom. What else do you have for them in the bunk room? I want something light but also that they can use. If/when they have friends sleep over we'll want to be able to put down an air mattress.

Power247

The bean bags are the only added furniture, well that and a small kid sized folding card table that they can use for games or crafts.

When we camp at the beach my sister usually brings her boys down for a night or two. We did the air mattress thing once when we first got this camper. It was a hassle to deal with so now when we have extra kids with us we just put a few heavy blankets on the floor and they all 'camp out' is sleeping bags. All that goes to the top bunk come morning.

Greg

Ya, I hear you. The air mattress thing could be a pain. My kids haven't had sleepovers yet but I just want there to be an option for when they get older.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

That seems lighter.

Heather

This construction method is called a torsion box. The inside filler does not necessarily need to be 2x material. If you google plywood torsion box, you can find a large number of articles that will give you better idea of how to make this light and very strong.

This construction method is called a torsion box. The inside filler does not necessarily need to be 2x material. If you google plywood torsion box, you can find a large number of articles that will give you better idea of how to make this light and very strong.

Thank you SO much. I didn't realize that was what it was called. As soon as I typed it into google, BAM, so many hits. Much appreciated!

klp605

We have the same layout in our 2018 Mallard m32. North Trail 32buds is the sister trailer. Ours is currently parked at a campground for a couple months so I am unable to get actual pictures.

The outdoor kitchen does not have a microwave. The bunkhouse has 2 chair like things that fold out for beds. Twin sheets fit them great.

Our kids are 9 and 11. Room for sleepovers was key and these work great. I pulled a couple images off the internet put can't figure out how to post here through Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

klp605

Here they are. The chair/bed cushions are 2 piece. The back just rests on the seat part that folds out.
1dec1d8158ce3f5a6c444f6aeec796b0.jpg
deb68219bc30b64a63ab59b58c95e062.jpg

Thanks for the photos klp605! The funny thing is our existing trailer is a 2007 Mallard 18ck. MUCH smaller. Did Heartland buyout the Mallard name after Pioneer/Mallard went under?

Glad to know that the bunk house is a good choice for sleepovers. I also liked the idea of the quad bunkhouse but it seemed less functional when the kids didn't have friends with them. Know what I mean? The quad where one bunk turns into a dinette would have been ideal but seems hard to come by.

I considered foam fold down beds like you have. I will have to look at our local foam shop when I go to get new mattresses.

We're still waiting to hear back on the inspection of the unit. I saw it at the service department on Saturday and the saleswoman said a couple days is all it should take for them to check it over. *fingers crossed* we hear today.

When we did our second walk through of the unit we were able to look in the hole where the outdoor kitchen sink use to be. It appears as though the plumbing is all still there, so it should be quick to fix hopefully once we figure out the sink size. All stock photos of the unit seem to indicate it's a lower clearance sink.

Has anyone seen the switch on the left before? Do you know what that toggles? Water? Why would we need to chose between kitchens? The labels on this switch seem to be made with a label maker so maybe it's after market?

klp605

IDK but logical thought as Heartland has both those names now. Mallards are an exclusive name manufactured by Heartland for Camping World.

It seems as art, craft, board and card games are always played on the dinette table only if rainy. Otherwise at they are outside with those types of activities.

Hope it goes well for you.

Very interesting to know. We don't have Camping World in Western Canada but I LOVE going there when we're in the USA.

I was SO hoping to avoid all the craft stuff on the dining table. LOL. My youngest is 4 and not the best at putting his junk away. Grrrrrrr!

IDK but logical thought as Heartland has both those names now. Mallards are an exclusive name manufactured by Heartland for Camping World.

It seems as art, craft, board and card games are always played on the dinette table only if rainy. Otherwise at they are outside with those types of activities.

Hope it goes well for you.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Has anyone seen the switch on the left before? Do you know what that toggles? Water? Why would we need to chose between kitchens? The labels on this switch seem to be made with a label maker so maybe it's after market?

My guess would be that it toggles power between the microwave circuits in the two kitchens.

CoveredWagon

I was SO hoping to avoid all the craft stuff on the dining table. LOL. My youngest is 4 and not the best at putting his junk away. Grrrrrrr![/QUOTE]

Ha neither is my wife. 😡 Good luck 😂