Chose the Trailer - Need to Choose the Truck

khalsey

If I understand your numbers, your loaded rig weighs 19,700 lbs. 4200/19,700 = 21% pin weight.

Sorry. I meant to say total trailer weight was 15,500 and GVWR is 16,000. Not much I can do to lower pin weight as most of storage is in front of axles. I do try to limit what is in storage but there is always so many things I might need.:)

Bohemian

I checked out some of these calculations and none seem to be based in reality. Especially for 5th wheels. They are taking theoretical numbers basing the tongue weight at 20% Not all trailers even run at a tongue weight that heavy. Like mine the advertised tongue weight s 2020 lbs and that is with the advertised weight of 15500 lbs. Take that number and divide you get roughly 13%. Now the unladen weight of the unit is 13k. use the same formula of 13% the tongue weight is 1690. Maybe I am missing something here

5th wheel guidelines for stable 5th wheel towing recommend pin weights be adjusted to be between 20-25% of actual 5th wheel weight.

Bones

5th wheel guidelines for stable 5th wheel towing recommend pin weights be adjusted to be between 20-25% of actual 5th wheel weight.

I am assuming that they want to make this a guideline. I have not been able to weight my unit yet to see what the pin weight is but I do know industry has been lowering the pin weights so that lighter trucks can tow. My camper is in for repairs after the drop so I don't know when I will get it back

porthole

Retired
I am assuming that they want to make this a guideline. I have not been able to weight my unit yet to see what the pin weight is but I do know industry has been lowering the pin weights so that lighter trucks can tow. My camper is in for repairs after the drop so I don't know when I will get it back

It is already a guideline and it allows for a stabile tow.
Insufficient or excessive pin weight makes for a very unstable trailer or tow vehicle that can barely control the trailer. You can thank the axles being almost centered within the trailers length for that.

Industry lowering of pin weights can be easily achieved by making the trailer lighter. But, whether the trailer weighs 8000 or 22,000, you still need the proper percentage of pin weight. The axles at the rear of a HD truck-trailer (tractor trailer) allows for a stabile tow whether the trailer is empty at approximately 12-13K or carrying 60,000 pounds.

crussian

Hi Folks - thought I would tackle the stickler of acronyms that abound in our forum. Some are used loosely, others are very strickly defined. I have copied and pasted what I feel are the correct definitions of some of the important ones.

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW) is the total combined weight of a fully loaded vehicle, including passengers, payload and everything in tow.
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the total weight of a fully loaded vehicle, including passengers and payload – but excluding all towing.
Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) is the total weight of the trailer plus all the cargo in it.
Curb Weight - The weight of a vehicle without any passengers or cargo, but including all necessary fuel, fluids and standard equipment.
Trailer Tongue Weight - The downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler. In most cases, it should fall between 10 to 25 percent of GTW.

I don't have a spiffy signature block yet but working on a picture of my combo.

Have a great day.

Cary & Janet
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Tradesman, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 4.10 rearend, longbed, Reese 16K hitch
2015 Heartland Oakmont 345RS
Not retired . . . . .yet. 2 years and counting.

justafordguy

Hey Bones, Did you ever weigh your 3650? I weighed mine and it is 14,215 total and has a 2350 pin weight. The pin is lower then I expected it to be.;)

Last edited:

Bones

Hey Bones, Did you ever weigh your 3650? I weighed mine and it is 14,250 total and has a 2350 pin weight. The pin is lower then I expected it to be.;)

I just weighed my whole rig during my trip to SC last week and all I have to say is.......S@IT... I was waiting until I had a chance to weight the truck by itself but didn't get a chance yet. But here is what I am figuring so far. I may be off on my pin weight until I weigh the truck

My front Axle is 5200
My rear Axle is 6240
Trailer Axle is 12540

I looked up what my truck is suppose to weigh by itself and that is suppose to be 7726 lbs. If I add myself, and all the family members with 5 extra gallons of fuel with hitch I figure the truck weighs 8,600 lbs. That puts my pin weight at 2,840 lbs heavy. That would put my total rig weight at 15,379 lbs. I based my original calculations assuming the pin weight advertised at 2020 was at the loaded 15500 GVW of the trailer. Whoops. I am over my GVWR of my truck by 1440 lbs.

My truck ratings are
Front GAWR = 6,000
Rear GAWR = 6,500
truck GVWR = 10,000
Combo GCWR = 24,000 from Ram website
Tires are 3640 each total of = 7,280 lbs Usually they are the week link but not here.

I took a few measurements of the truck earlier
Non squat height 43 and 2/16 inches
Squat height 40 and 7/8 inches

The truck squats only about 2 and 1/4 inches not bad. and I still say S@IT.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Hey Bones, Did you ever weigh your 3650? I weighed mine and it is 14,250 total and has a 2350 pin weight. The pin is lower then I expected it to be.;)

I haven't had a chance to run ours to the scales yet when it is loaded. It was 12880 dry. The 37 ultimate is somewhat similar to the 3650BH Gateway. I tried to get a weight of everything that we loaded. I'm hoping to come in at the weight you got. Somewhere around 14 - 14500. She squatted the old RAM to level. I added bags to raise it up just a little.

Bones

I haven't had a chance to run ours to the scales yet when it is loaded. It was 12880 dry. The 37 ultimate is somewhat similar to the 3650BH Gateway. I tried to get a weight of everything that we loaded. I'm hoping to come in at the weight you got. Somewhere around 14 - 14500. She squatted the old RAM to level. I added bags to raise it up just a little.

Were you able to weight your truck?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Were you able to weight your truck?

No. Not yet. I've been on the scales about a dozen times this year, but it is always been with my utility trailer. I can only fit the tandem axles of the trailer and the rear axle of my truck on the scales where I go.

Bones

No. Not yet. I've been on the scales about a dozen times this year, but it is always been with my utility trailer. I can only fit the tandem axles of the trailer and the rear axle of my truck on the scales where I go.

I used the CAT scales at the truck stop. Have you tried them?