Chucking problems while towing

I have a Cyclone 3010 tandem axle. I am having chucking or bucking while towing. My TV is a Ford F350 6.0 with overloads.
I know this has been discussed before but need help. I have checked pin weight and it is within recommended specs. I have also installed the Reese Goosebox with the5th airborne system. I am still have significant chucking or bucking problems. What else do I need to do. I keep max air in my RV tires whether loaded or not. does anybody has any other suggestions?

dbbls59

Chucking is generally caused by light pin weight. Are you loaded heavy in the garage? Can you transfer weight to the front end? Weigh your rig and see what the percentage of weight is on the pin. It should be around 20%.

brianharrison

Chucking or bucking can be attributed to many factors and unfortunately each specific setup is unique. There are some quick hits though, hopefully others will chime in with similar set ups - Cyclone with Goosebox.

You will get lots of suggestions, good luck filtering through them all.

My contribution is levelness of truck and trailer - a nose up truck is more susceptible to chucking in my opinion; a loading and unloading of the overloads drove me crazy until I added air bags to supplement.

Brian

hoefler

Also, placement of the hitch to the axle. If it is too far back, it will chuck, needs to be ahead of axle a minimum of 1".

Malbright

I had chucking problems really bad when I first got my truck. I had a 2500 Chevy Silverado prior towing the same trailer and a Husky 5th wheel hitch and no issues. My new Kodiak I picked up a B&W 5th wheel companion hitch that tied into the goose neck. Between a horrible design and a very stiff truck the chucking was rediculous. 1 trip and I sold the hitch. Below you will see my hitch and I could not be happier with the set up and the ride now when towing. I almost dont feel the trailer now and I probably have arguably the roughest riding truck here. My new hitch from AirSafe is pricey but I will never buy another hitch. My hitch is rated at 18k lbs and you can get all the way up to 30k I believe. Worth checking out.

DW_Gray

One other thought comes to mind. And that is you may have the trailer brakes set too soft and your truck is applying the most braking. Try increasing the trailer brakes a bit. I've got to the point that I like to feel the trailer brakes engage before my truck. I rarely get any chucking and the Tri Glide rarely moves.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I had chucking problems really bad when I first got my truck. I had a 2500 Chevy Silverado prior towing the same trailer and a Husky 5th wheel hitch and no issues. My new Kodiak I picked up a B&W 5th wheel companion hitch that tied into the goose neck. Between a horrible design and a very stiff truck the chucking was rediculous. 1 trip and I sold the hitch. Below you will see my hitch and I could not be happier with the set up and the ride now when towing. I almost dont feel the trailer now and I probably have arguably the roughest riding truck here. My new hitch from AirSafe is pricey but I will never buy another hitch. My hitch is rated at 18k lbs and you can get all the way up to 30k I believe. Worth checking out.

No argument here...you do have the roughest truck! Really glad you added the air hitch...you cannot believe the amount of damage that truck can cause to a fifth wheel when you are "hard" hitch to "hard" pin...we speak from experience. We had ours for five years and even with air seats it also beat me to death going down the road. So glad Chevy upgraded their trucks in 2011 and can now handle the weight of heavy fivers like ours....

Kuhlkent

I have a Cyclone 300C and an F-350 dualie. I decided to go with the Gooseneck to keep the bed of the truck free for use. Had one gooseneck on there and then read the Lippert warranty and the only one that would not void the warranty was the Reese Goosebox. Took the hit and put this on the rig. I have had terrible chucking from the start. I installed Super Springs on the truck because I was contacting he overloads. Then with les than 5,000 miles I looked into the Goosebox and both shocks were gone. Called up Reese an they id they don't make those shock any more. Kind of sounded like they had heard this chucking story a few hundred times. Waiting to hear back what they are willing to do. Sounds like the box I had was an epic fail and required a complete redesign. Just a word to the wise, I had my mechanic check the trailer axels and they were welded such that the second axel was more than 3/8" off the first and was causing my tires to blow. Lost 3 in less than 5k. Had that fixed and also had him check the bearings. The factory seemed to have missed with the grease and they were destroyed as well. They paid for this on my warranty but pretty basic stuff you take for granted was messed up. Love more feedback on the chucking my wife hates to ride for more than a couple of hours the way it is now.

Jim.Allison

I would be willing to bet that if you use airbags to get off the aftermarket springs and put a slight rake on the TV, you're chucking problem goes away. Look for adjustments, is the ball correct, hardware tight, and is your pin box secure? Notwithstanding any unusual loading, I cannot see how loading can be an issue unless you are really way aft loaded with rocks or something. On my rig, the weight of an item is distributed between the pin and axle in the following manner. Items over the pin are 100% pin load, but for every 22 inches toward the trailer axle the weight value decreases the pin weight value 10% for every 22 inches. Example, garage items are distributed 70% pin and 30% trailer axle, basement is 65% pin and 35 trailer axle. Aft loading creates a handling problem and excessive load on the trailer axles, but has little effect on pin loading.

DonnyB007

I have a Cyclone 300C and an F-350 dualie. I decided to go with the Gooseneck to keep the bed of the truck free for use. Had one gooseneck on there and then read the Lippert warranty and the only one that would not void the warranty was the Reese Goosebox. Took the hit and put this on the rig. I have had terrible chucking from the start. I installed Super Springs on the truck because I was contacting he overloads. Then with les than 5,000 miles I looked into the Goosebox and both shocks were gone. Called up Reese an they id they don't make those shock any more. Kind of sounded like they had heard this chucking story a few hundred times. Waiting to hear back what they are willing to do. Sounds like the box I had was an epic fail and required a complete redesign. Just a word to the wise, I had my mechanic check the trailer axels and they were welded such that the second axel was more than 3/8" off the first and was causing my tires to blow. Lost 3 in less than 5k. Had that fixed and also had him check the bearings. The factory seemed to have missed with the grease and they were destroyed as well. They paid for this on my warranty but pretty basic stuff you take for granted was messed up. Love more feedback on the chucking my wife hates to ride for more than a couple of hours the way it is now.

the first thing that popped into my mind was pin weight, but I certainly would reassess all your axle weights against your vehicle and trailer specs.