Clean Clear Shower Doors?

Theresau

Has anyone come up with a way or cleaner to clean the clear shower doors in the mega bath?

I can't get what looks like hard water streaks off. And I can't get between the doors.

Theresa

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We squeegee them off and then whip them down with a towel, and I think they look good. However, DW does not like the way they look. Thus, solution number 2. She had me purchase a friction fit shower curtain rod that I put up above the the top of the shower doors. She hung a shower curtain, and pulls the shower curtain closed when shower is not going to be used. It is the "out of sight, out of mind" theory. Works for me. Good luck. The clear shower doors are a real issue, especially if you have hard water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A quick search indicates that making a paste of vinegar and baking soda and applying it to the stains for 30 minutes then scrubbing it will remove most, if not all, of the hard water deposits. Try using a ScotchBrite pad when you scrub it.

kowAlski631

In hard water areas, I wipe them down & spray between the doors with vinegar. That does the job for us.

Martha

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When the doors are clean, an application of Rain-X will help repel future spotting.

tboy

I also put a shower curtain up so I would not have to clean the glass, it works great no more water spots on the glass. I bought a tension rod it fits perfect next to the track and used a shower curtain liner not vinyl, got it all at Wall Mart.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I also put a shower curtain up so I would not have to clean the glass, it works great no more water spots on the glass. I bought a tension rod it fits perfect next to the track and used a shower curtain liner not vinyl, got it all at Wall Mart.

pictures please

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
I can't say much for the spots, but for between the doors, I've been using a mini-blind cleaner thing. It has a removeable microfiber cover that can be washed. It has three prongs and can be squeezed together to get right on the glass.

minblind cleaner.jpg

Ellie

Our Bighorn is used as our summer cabin and the water supply is very hard out there. I found the best spot and streak remover for the entire shower was a scotchbrite pad attached to a clear plastic wand that I filled with a half and half solution of Blue Dawn dish soap and vinegar. It worked so well, I made up three more sets of these to keep in my home bathrooms for scrubbing the shower and tub! You can find these refillable plastic wand scrubbers at almost any store with kitchen supplies. Be sure to store it upright, though, or the solution will drip out. You do have to do a quick rinse, but the vinegar makes it easy to wash off. Now, if only I could train the other family members to use this "high tech" device!

Theresau

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm assuming the hard water streaks came from a campground (however, we have a good filter). I'll try those suggested. I've also thought about putting one of the liners on the glass - would mean having to take it out. If I take it out, I should just replace ithe clear glass with the non-clear glass - has anyone done that?

Jim B. - what does your new Landmark have - does it still have the clear glass like your prior one did? I'm wondering if I could order this through HL Parts.

HL Product Managers suggestion: Please change to the non-clear glass. This is what was shown at the Goshen rally - much better! When the doors are open the bath would still look large even though the glass is not clear. The corner showers don't have clear glass.

Theresa

jbeletti

...Jim B. - what does your new Landmark have - does it still have the clear glass like your prior one did? I'm wondering if I could order this through HL Parts....

Mine has clear glass. As we don't use anything but the clear, we would not be stocking anything else. I suggest you contact SEA/Praxis (574-266-8400) to see about getting obscured glass replacement panels if that's what you'd like to have.

This is what we did too and it works great, you don't ever get the glass wet and you don't hardly know that the shower curtain is there when you pull it back. We use a clear plastic curtain and will just replace it every once in a while (they are cheap).

MCTalley

We've started using Invisible Glass with Rain Repellant on our glass doors. You might have to use something more bathroom-oriented (i.e. scrubbing bubbles) to get any built-up layers of soap scum knocked off first. I use two clean washcloths, one to wipe the stuff mostly off and the other to buff off any remaining residue. Invisible glass is almost like waxing your windows.

Also, we keep a squeegee in the shower and use is each time we shower to knock most of the water off before getting out of the shower.

dalspot

Two suggestions - #1 Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's all I use anymore to clean my fiberglass shower walls. Hasn't been so clean in years.

#2 - check out http://www.wallpapersforwindows.com for a film you can put on the outside of the glass that will give more privacy, and hide the water spots.

Karen

123camper

We just got in the habit of wiping the complete shower down with our towel after we at done drying our selves. Do the same with tiled shower at home and never have to use chemical.

Bobby A

Ditto on the magic eraser and if we let it go to long we do use Scrubbing bubbles first than the eraser. It works for us.

Theresau

Had the magic eraser already so gave it a try and it worked great - I was able to squeeze in between the glass too. I'll try Scrubbing Bubbles too. But from what I can see we're a-ok now until we get to FL. Streaks were driving me crazy.:)

Joe also suggested Meguiar Glass Water Spot Remover. Will give that a try in the future.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Theresa

Ditto on the magic eraser and if we let it go to long we do use Scrubbing bubbles first than the eraser. It works for us.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Had the magic eraser already so gave it a try and it worked great - I was able to squeeze in between the glass too. I'll try Scrubbing Bubbles too. But from what I can see we're a-ok now until we get to FL. Streaks were driving me crazy.:)

Joe also suggested Meguiar Glass Water Spot Remover. Will give that a try in the future.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Theresa
Theresa I use a mixture of dawn liquid soap and vinegar and it cleans the doors wonderfully and doesn't,t leave streaks and I also use jet dry liquid that you use in dishwasher on a sponge applied to wet glass, I dilute it with some water, then after I coat glass we'll rinse it off and it leaves glass shiny and clean.
Linda West

Theresau

Will give this a shot too. We've just begun to learn about the magic of "Dawn."

Theresa I use a mixture of dawn liquid soap and vinegar and it cleans the doors wonderfully and doesn't,t leave streaks and I also use jet dry liquid that you use in dishwasher on a sponge applied to wet glass, I dilute it with some water, then after I coat glass we'll rinse it off and it leaves glass shiny and clean.
Linda West

TXTiger

Love this thread. My shower at home has clear class and I was trying to figure out a way to get all the water streaks cleaned. I will try a scotch bright ad with a mixture of Dawn and vinegar.