Cleaning the Rooftop Coils

wdk450

Gang:
I have a can of the special cleaner spray for general air conditioner coil cleaning. You spray this stuff on, let it sit, then flush it out with a high pressure water spray. I am sure if I did this on my RV, there would be a flood of water inside the trailer. I guess I could fabricate an inside plug with sheet plywood, trash bags and towels, held tightly to the ceiling with a wood stud. I would still worry about flush water going into the ductwork.

Has anyone done this AC coil cleaning? What did you do to prevent problems from the water flush?

danemayer

Hi Bill,

I cleaned mine with compressed air a few years ago. Need to do it again. Bit of a pain dragging the air hose.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Gang:
I have a can of the special cleaner spray for general air conditioner coil cleaning. You spray this stuff on, let it sit, then flush it out with a high pressure water spray. I am sure if I did this on my RV, there would be a flood of water inside the trailer. I guess I could fabricate an inside plug with sheet plywood, trash bags and towels, held tightly to the ceiling with a wood stud. I would still worry about flush water going into the ductwork.

Has anyone done this AC coil cleaning? What did you do to prevent problems from the water flush?

If it is the nasty stinky stuff that has petroleum and solvents in it, it might just clean the rubber off the roof! I concur with blowing with low pressure compressed air. Safer for you, your ducting, and the roof.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I had ours serviced at West RV service in Livingston. They remove the AC's from the RV to clean them. They did a great job and AC's worked a lot better afterwards.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

wdk450

I did some more research on the internet and found a posting on RV.net that talked about using a coil cleaner from Dometic which they say you spray on the evaporator and condenser coils, and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RINSE OFF. According to the guy posting, you spray it on, let it sit, then run your AC system to cause an airflow through the coils for a while. The stuff is Dometic D1227001, and is available at Camping World for about $16.

While the AC unit is supposed to be fairly easy to disconnect from the roof, it is very heavy, and a real chore to get safely on the ground (and back on the roof) by yourself. Since Dometic is an RV air conditioner manufacturer, I guess this stuff should be OK to use. Some posters on RV.net were concerned about overspray onto the rubber roof membrane, but I would think you could mask off the area around the air conditioner when you do the service.

Garypowell

I have used water to clean mine and just stuffed a towels in the hole. Obviously I was very careful with a carefully directed spray.....got no water inside.

But also not sure I got any benefit either. Hard to discern going from poor to less poor!

yport

Ours was starting to put out a bad mildew odor ... I did what Chiefneon did ... my service provider took them both off the roof and cleaned them.

Now when I clean the filters inside I spray some Lysol up there while the a/c is running and sucking it through the coils (if that actually helps any I got no clue)

All is good now !!

Capt7383

I just cleaned mine from the inside I removed alot of black mildewy crap. I removed the four inch electric box and used a vacuum cleaner with upholstery brush very carefully. Then I wiped off all smooth surfaces with dilute bleach. Musty smell gone for now.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk