Cold truck

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
There are aftermarket kits availbel, the most common being a magnetic pad that you attach to the oil pan.

Have you had any experience with this? I would assume they would make for different makes and models.

caissiel

In canada the plug has been at the right side behind the bumper. Sometimes hidden behind the right side battery.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I will goggle it but in the meantime what do I look for when I go look ??? ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Don't recall if you can actually easily see the block heater, but, if yo can, look on the right side of the engine block, near the front.
I am getting ready to go plug mine in since it is supposed to be in the teens tonight, I'll take a look and see if can be seen.

The cord, if equipped may be up by the passenger side, forward of the battery, or in the bumper opening if someone pulled it down already.

porthole

Retired
See if this helps:

Front right side bumper. The cord goes in here, and up to and on top of the frame rail behind the radiator. Didn't see where from there.

Block_heater_1.jpg

This I "think" is the cord going to the heater (orange jacket). From the right side frame rail to the heater in the block.
This is laying on the ground, behind the right front tire looking straight up.
Bottom of picture is trans, left side is exhaust pipe.

Block_heater_2.jpg

And this is what I think is the block heater. This is above the oil pan, all the way to the rear, right side of the block.

Block_heater_3.jpg

Last edited:

HornedToad

I really wanted to check out these photos, but I get a message it's an invalid attachment and to notify the administrator... might just be my computer???

dave10a

I think Ford automatically installs a block heater in their Diesels for all truck sold in cold climates-- at least that is what a dealer told me when I was optioning up mine when I bought it.

porthole

Retired
Try now for the pictures

From the Ford "Coffee Table Book"

Engine Block Heater
The engine block heater is located on the right side of the engine block. The block heater uses 110V AC to heat the engine coolant in cold weather climates. Use the engine block heater must be used whenever ambient temperatures are at or below -23°C (-9°F). The engine block heater is standard on every engine. The power cord is an optional accessory.

Right Rear of Engine
Block heater

Block_heater_4.jpg

porthole

Retired
Here is another install link

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/67l-block-heater-install

HornedToad

Is easy to find ? When you said no plug did you mean no heater ? Iam looking around the block and don't see anything
If you turn the tires you can stick your head in the wheel well and see a plug like in the picture. I should have said no power cord to plug in!!!

HornedToad

Well I was wrong... after reviewing the link in post #37, what I saw was the block drain plug in the first photo. My link to the photo in post #32 was so small I couldn't tell the difference. My F350 purchased in Texas = no heater or power cord!!!

Thanks porthole for the additional post, this is my first diesel and obviously I have a lot to learn.

Snow

Thanks all for all the pics and info, I couldn't find any so I guess that's my next add on it stinks that a 55.000$ truck don't have a 75$ part ,but I understand that there are a lot of states that don't get that cold , I still LOVE my baby It's my first diesel , and the power and torque are awesome I will never have another gasser !! ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️