Colorado Chapter Rallies 2017

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
UPDATE:

This is an update on having our May 2017 Rally at Lakeside KOA in Ft. Collins. I have received information on their charges for having the rally there. Site fees would be $56 per night with the chapter making a $100 deposit to schedule the rally, use of the meeting room would be $50 for the rally. If there are any cancellations after a list of attendees is given them and before reservations are made, the chapter will be charged $56 for each rig listed that does not attend. There is also a $10 per day visitor charge for non attendees.

After reviewing this information, I feel that this makes for a very expensive rally for the attendees and the chapter. I would like to reopen this discussion for other possible rally sites in the Ft. Collins vicinity. Your recommendations are very welcome. We will also discuss this at the Ft. Collins Meet & Greet with those in attendance on March 26th.

Well looks like they are busy enough, and they are, to keep us out. I do not have any suggestions based on experience other than to NOT have it at the Wellington KOA. There is nothing to do there and it is right next to a feed lot.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I was counting on you guys to have some suggestions up that way. We can talk about it at the Meet & Greet. It looks like we will have a good crowd there.

Well looks like they are busy enough, and they are, to keep us out. I do not have any suggestions based on experience other than to NOT have it at the Wellington KOA. There is nothing to do there and it is right next to a feed lot.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Or St. Vrain State Park at the Longmont and I-25 exit . . . we like it there!

The Wellington KOA is a nice park . . . but that cattle farm just down the road kinda' ruins the experience.

There is another KOA at the top of Poudre Canyon . . . we've never stayed there but did drive through it a couple of years ago.

There is another KOA out by Strassburg (east of Denver off of I-70) . . . I've heard good things about that place.

- - - Updated - - -

Winding River RV Resort in Grand Lake is an awesome place . . .

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Riverview pre flood might have worked, post flood not so much. Had some friends stay there last year. Low water pressure forced them to fill their fresh tank and then they ended up with sand in their supply. They also said since they had to reconfigure the park all the sites are closer than an awning extension away and everything is still covered in river sand.

Poudre Canyon KOA is owned by the same folks as the Wellington KOA and I didnt mention it because it is small.

Strasburg may work but it is right between the train track and I 70. And I mean right beside them.

JohnD

I grew up next to the train tracks (main line between Detroit and Chicago about 50 feet from our house) so they don't bother me . . . I can sleep like a baby through that!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have been looking at RV Park Reviews and the Riverview and Steamboat KOA are both getting bad reviews from those who have been there this past year. Does anyone have information on the Spruce Lake Resort in Estes? Prices are high but they open May 1 and maybe we could negotiate a good group rate early. There don't seem to be a lot of good reviews on campgrounds in that area of the state. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

JohnD

I have been looking at RV Park Reviews and the Riverview and Steamboat KOA are both getting bad reviews from those who have been there this past year. Does anyone have information on the Spruce Lake Resort in Estes? Prices are high but they open May 1 and maybe we could negotiate a good group rate early. There don't seem to be a lot of good reviews on campgrounds in that area of the state. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

We stayed at Manor RV Park in Estes in August of 2014, which is just across the river from Spruce Lake RV Park and (at the time) owned by the same people.

We had a great stay there, but other than a drive through Spruce, I don't have any feedback on it.

Lots of wildlife there . . . had a bear and a couple of bull elk in the park while we were there.

Took this shot from our campsite at Manor looking across the river into Spruce Lake RV Park:

EstesParkElk2014-IMGP0732.jpg

Second shot was the campsite a few months earlier when we drove up to scope out the place and book a site:

ManorRVEstesPark-IMG_20140608_154058177.jpg

Third shot was taken the day we were rolling out to go home (this was also the last time my old Dodge Ram pulled our Trail Runner):

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

We had a wonderful time the week we stayed there . . . lots to do in and around Estes Park!

Another campground that is popular in Estes is Elk Grove.

Several here have stayed there and love it (we only drove through it), even though it is just a big field full of campsites.

But the view is awesome and they have lots of amenities!

I'll leave a review of Elk Grove to those who have stayed there.

I believe Ronn and Sara have been there several times.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We stay at Spruce Lake every year for the highlands festival. It is well kept and we have always been treated very well there.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.