Colorado Chapter Rallies 2017

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
It looks like we are ignoring the whole eastern section of our state. I would be interested in a trip out that way, Las Animas area maybe.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It looks like we are ignoring the whole eastern section of our state. I would be interested in a trip out that way, Las Animas area maybe.

I've been thinking the same thing . . .

Not just for rallies, but for our own personal camping trips as well!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Good information for discussion tomorrow at the M & G. We need to schedule next year ASAP to find open campgrounds. See you then.

rjr6150

Well said Mike. It seems like the last 2-3 years nothing up north or out east. This is one of the issues we haven't attended.

StarryNight

Every year that I have been CL I have requested feedback from members as to where should we have a camp-out, rally and even M&Gs. Of the 55-58 members that I send memos to I hear back from very few...in fact, typically I hear back from less than 10 members. Of those 10 (or less) that do respond it is usually the same people...and usually the members that attend other activities. Locations (regions as well as cities) for rallies have always been decided by members.

For instance, the M&G that is scheduled for tomorrow Jan 30 (which is posted) I have received "zero" requests for the agenda...which will be budget, rally location, camp-out locations and next months' M&G location, along with disc brake info and packing wheel bearings info.

gwalter

Mike & Randy, thanks for your input on the 2017 rally sites. The Ft. Collins Lakeside KOA North has been suggested by several members. What else is available in the Eastern and Northern parts of the state? I think something in that area would be good as we would then cover opposite corners of the state for rallies next year. We will be talking about this tomorrow at the M & G so it would be good to have some options to discuss by then.

Gregg

rjr6150

Every year that I have been CL I have requested feedback from members as to where should we have a camp-out, rally and even M&Gs. Of the 55-58 members that I send memos to I hear back from very few...in fact, typically I hear back from less than 10 members. Of those 10 (or less) that do respond it is usually the same people...and usually the members that attend other activities. Locations (regions as well as cities) for rallies have always been decided by members.

For instance, the M&G that is scheduled for tomorrow Jan 30 (which is posted) I have received "zero" requests for the agenda...which will be budget, rally location, camp-out locations and next months' M&G location, along with disc brake info and packing wheel bearings info.

Possibly if one of these meetings were held up North meaning Loveland-Ft Collins you might obtain input from these members.

rjr6150

Mike & Randy, thanks for your input on the 2017 rally sites. The Ft. Collins Lakeside KOA North has been suggested by several members. What else is available in the Eastern and Northern parts of the state? I think something in that area would be good as we would then cover opposite corners of the state for rallies next year. We will be talking about this tomorrow at the M & G so it would be good to have some options to discuss by then.

Gregg

Gregg
Lakeside KOA is a great place. Couple of others which are owned by the same family as Lakeside are Wellington KOA and Poudre Canyon KOA. Riverview campground above Loveland or St. Vrain state park. Going east not much till Sterling which has a state park never stayed there though. Jump over to Nebraska you have Ogallala which has the lake and campgrounds in town. Very popular Heartland dealer in Grand Island. If somethin held here could maybe get some of the Nebraska-Kansas owners involved.

JohnD

We stayed at the Wellington KOA last July 4th. weekend.

It is a great campground . . .

But that big cattle ranch across the road and about half a mile down pretty much ruins the experience.

We drove through the Poudre Canyon KOA a couple of years ago when we were camping up on Pingree Park Road at Jack's Gulch, but haven't checked out Lakeside KOA.

We love St. Vrain . . . 20 minutes from the house!

gwalter

Randy we are very familiar with the Ogallala area and have camped there for many years. We moved out here from Grand Island 4 yrs ago. We bought both of our Heartland 5vers from Rich & Sons and they do all our work on them.

StarryNight

Possibly if one of these meetings were held up North meaning Loveland-Ft Collins you might obtain input from these members.

We have been having M&G all along the front range, over the winter months, from as far south as Peublo to as far north as Ft Collins....and have been for 2 years (2016 is our third year to be doing this) I rotate them every month. One of our largest attending M&Gs was up in Loveland 2014.
I send out memos to all members announcing the month/city and request info as to a venue. Once a place/date has been determined I post the info and let members know and I also send out a 2 week reminder to all members.

As far as input, a member does not have to attend a M&G to have a voice...which is why I send out a preliminary info memo asking for feedback/comments and an agenda upon request. Also, our 2016 wagon master has sent out a memo recently concerning this thread and has received very few responses :(

Randy, It's a shame you have not been able to make any of the "winter M&Gs" ...Gregg (wagon master) and I look forward to your input as to ideas for a rally location on the eastern plains of Colorado for a future rally.

rjr6150

We have been having M&G all along the front range, over the winter months, from as far south as Peublo to as far north as Ft Collins....and have been for 2 years (2016 is our third year to be doing this) I rotate them every month. One of our largest attending M&Gs was up in Loveland 2014.
I send out memos to all members announcing the month/city and request info as to a venue. Once a place/date has been determined I post the info and let members know and I also send out a 2 week reminder to all members.

As far as input, a member does not have to attend a M&G to have a voice...which is why I send out a preliminary info memo asking for feedback/comments and an agenda upon request. Also, our 2016 wagon master has sent out a memo recently concerning this thread and has received very few responses :(

Randy, It's a shame you have not been able to make any of the "winter M&Gs" ...Gregg (wagon master) and I look forward to your input as to ideas for a rally location on the eastern plains of Colorado for a future rally.

Checking the HL calendar for 2015 I'm only showing three M&G that were scheduled. One on 1/23 held in Englewood which shows to be held on a Friday. The other two were held in Pueblo on 3/3 and 4/25 in Colorado Springs. The first one rather difficult to attend as Kathy is still working. The other two are a 5 hour drive for us.

Not trying to stir the pot but as several others have commented nothing up north in the last year.

gwalter

We discussed sites for the 2017 Rallies at our M & G today. The consensus was to hold the May Rally in Ft. Collins at the Lakeside KOA. Those that have camped there give it high marks. We will hold the Sept. Rally at the Ancient Cedars @ Mesa Verde Resort in Mancos. It is 30 miles west of Durango and across the highway from the entrance to Mesa Verde. This gives us a chance to cover two different areas of the state as suggested by earlier posts.

These sites are of course are conditional on the fact that they have sites available during the time frame we are looking at. I will be contacting them next week and start the process of scheduling. When I have all the information I will post them on the Forum.

JohnD

Just thought I'd toss this out there . . .

Colorado has a new KOA out in Craig: http://koa.com/campgrounds/craig/

We've always wanted to camp up in that area but never have, although at the last Rifle Rally in 2014 we did a day drive up to Craig to check it out.

Maybe one year we should do an east-west thing . . . have a rally out on the plains and another on the western slope :confused:

OK . . . now time for me to get busy and pack up the Prowler as we leave next Friday for the Tucson Rally! :D

gwalter

This is just an update on our 2017 Rallies. I have posted the fall rally info in the events for next year. We will be at Ancient Cedars @ Mesa Verde RV Resort near Mancos, CO from Sept.14-17. This is a very historical and beautiful area to visit and I hope our neighboring states chapter members can come enjoy some of the wonders of SW Colorado.

In the next day or so I will be posting our May 2017 Rally info also. We are working with Lakeside KOA in Ft. Collins in ironing out all the details. Hope to see a lot of you at one or both of these next year.

JohnD

In the next day or so I will be posting our May 2017 Rally info also. We are working with Lakeside KOA in Ft. Collins in ironing out all the details. Hope to see a lot of you at one or both of these next year.

Just a stones throw and an extra kick up the road from us . . .

You can count us in for this one, too!

gwalter

UPDATE:

This is an update on having our May 2017 Rally at Lakeside KOA in Ft. Collins. I have received information on their charges for having the rally there. Site fees would be $56 per night with the chapter making a $100 deposit to schedule the rally, use of the meeting room would be $50 for the rally. If there are any cancellations after a list of attendees is given them and before reservations are made, the chapter will be charged $56 for each rig listed that does not attend. There is also a $10 per day visitor charge for non attendees.

After reviewing this information, I feel that this makes for a very expensive rally for the attendees and the chapter. I would like to reopen this discussion for other possible rally sites in the Ft. Collins vicinity. Your recommendations are very welcome. We will also discuss this at the Ft. Collins Meet & Greet with those in attendance on March 26th.

StarryNight

UPDATE:

This is an update on having our May 2017 Rally at Lakeside KOA in Ft. Collins. I have received information on their charges for having the rally there. Site fees would be $56 per night with the chapter making a $100 deposit to schedule the rally, use of the meeting room would be $50 for the rally. If there are any cancellations after a list of attendees is given them and before reservations are made, the chapter will be charged $56 for each rig listed that does not attend. There is also a $10 per day visitor charge for non attendees.

After reviewing this information, I feel that this makes for a very expensive rally for the attendees and the chapter. I would like to reopen this discussion for other possible rally sites in the Ft. Collins vicinity. Your recommendations are very welcome. We will also discuss this at the Ft. Collins Meet & Greet with those in attendance on March 26th.

Well, I see Lakeside KOA hasn't changed its tune since I checked with them several years ago for a possible Colorado HOC rally...it's a shame but it would seem they really don't want rallies taking up their spaces :(