Concerns about OE tires

wingfoot

I just bought a 08' 3400E Heartland Bighorn...It's got some kind of off brand tire (OE)..I think it's called a tow-master. Here is the problem. The tires are 235/80R16 LR E...the tires are stamped with a Max load carrying capacities of 3500#...I'm an old Goodyear guy, so I can talk about them. The only thing Goodyear offers in that size is a 235/80R16 LR E Marathon. I don't think I want to go in that direction (working for them and past experience, China). So I'm considering going to a 235/85R16 LR E Michelin. It kills me to go in this direction, but Goodyear can only offer me a Marathon in that size. Now, I could get a Goodyear G614 LRG or a G649 but they don't make a 235/80R16. A close match would be size 235/85R16. This size has an OD of 30.7 vs the Goodyear (80) 30.8...No big deal. Section width on the "85" is 9.5 vs 9.2, again no be difference....But, this is the glaring difference the "80" size has a max load carrying capacity of approximately 3400#,(a little hard for me to believe) while the "85" size has a capacity of 3042# in LR E, Big difference. My rig has a GVWC of 14,000K/dry at 11,700# plus the Generator addition. Now, all this long dissertation being written. If I have to I am going to go with Michelin size 235/85R16 LR E with 3042# load carrying capacities.

BTW, I can't use a G614. Its a LR G 14ply and has a recommended PSI of 110#...my rims won't take the extra air pressure...

So, what say you about this Michelin thought and load disparages ?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, just a thought here. Are you sure your rims are not rated for 110 psi? Look on the back side of the rim for that info.
The reason I asked is that I had an 08 BH 3400RE, same as yours. The rims were rated for 110psi. I had the Goodyear G-614's on em.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I'm running B.F. Goodrich Commercial TA 235/85/16LT load range E Made in America. 3042# capacity ea. My trailer has a 14,000# gvw. It has 6,000# axles weighs 11,600# the way I have it loaded going down the road. About 2600# is tongue weight leaving 9,000# on my axles. My heaviest individual tire load was 2,600#. Just had it weighed at The Heartland Nat Rally. I currently have about 5-6,000 miles on these tires. Never had a problem. I have them inflated to 80# I'd change over to them again in a Heartbeat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't know about their function as a trailer tire, but I have run Michelins on all my vehicles for years and have had EXCELLENT results from them as a brand. No complaints whatsoever.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I assume from your numbers you're referring to the Michelin XPS Rib tire?? If so, all I can say, in my opinion it's the best tire out there...bar none! Used it for years in trailer applications, never had one issue.

In the 3400 RE you should have 6,000lb axles...so why would you need a tire that carries MORE than the axle...the 3,042# carrying capacity of the Rib is more than adequate for your rig. You are only going to be able to carry a max of 12,000lb on those axles...4X3,042=12,168 lbs...anything more than that and you're asking for problems....

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I replaced the OEM tires on my '07 Bighorn 3055 2 years ago with the Goodyear G614. No problems with that. As far as tire rating vs. axles I look at it like this....I am not going to overload the trailer but the tires are what heat up when driving in this summer heat and they are what hits pot holes and other road hazards. Worth the security and safety.