ST or LT tires

Gas20

Had a blowout on the Goodyear marathon tire, tore up alot including hydraulic leveling jack. Was thinking about going to a LT tire. The tires on my fifth wheel are 235/80 - 16, the tires I am looking at are hankook hercules, 235/85 -16. The question are about the hankook tire being good and the size is they are about 1 inch taller. Do you think these will be ok for my big horn?

GregP

We just changed out our OEM tires on our 2014 BH for a set of Sailun S637's. You will find many other threads on this forum regarding tires, and the Sailuns seem to be as well regarded as some of the others. I only have about 3000 miles on these, but am impressed so far with the ride and construction. No tire is bullet-proof, so only time will tell. If you do go with these, check your wheels to be sure they are rated for the 110psi of the tires. If not, you would have to buy new wheels at the same time.

DaveTyler

Gary, As mentioned check your wheels for ratings. I had the Salins 637 on the 16 inch wheels, 110 PSI. No problems then I added the titan disc brakes and for some reason I bought the 17.5 tires and wheels, about $1400 for both through Ron Russel. He gives pretty good deals. I have the 16's, Salins if needed. G rated is what they are. My 17.5's are H rated 125 PSI I run 110 in them. Just for info. Dave

Gizzy

I went with Bridgestone Duravis LT's and so far have over 35,000 miles on them and they still look great. Plan to get many more out of them (I hope). Been VERY pleased with them. Do some research to get the specs on them. When these wear out I'm pretty sure I will get the same, unless something better comes out. They are a 10 ply commercial truck/van tire. Also have a speed rating of 75 mph to take care of those time I find myself going a little too fast downhill before I notice.

Gaffer

The only good St is the Maxxis and they are very good. (I stand corrected.....Sailun makes an ST)

Last edited:

IronJ

The sailun everyone loves is an st (and comes in your original size) ....pretty sure the goodyear g614 is an rST....the hartland all steel 14ply is the st I just had installed ..110 psi, 4080lb load rated, N speed rated (87mph) ...the NEWER st tires are way more beefed up than old school st tires...I'm sure there are others

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

danemayer

The sailun everyone loves is an st (and comes in your original size) ....pretty sure the goodyear g614 is an rST....the hartland all steel 14ply is the st I just had installed ..110 psi, 4080lb load rated, N speed rated (87mph) ...the NEWER st tires are way more beefed up than old school st tires...I'm sure there are others

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish
The Goodyear G614 is an LT tire, which means it has gone through a more demanding certification process and its load carrying claims include a load capacity safety margin. The RST designation is a marketing designation that positions the tire as suitable for regional short-haul trucking.

If I remember correctly, Sailun S637 used to carry a LT on the sidewall but in the last year Sailun split the 637 into two offerings, LT and ST. The ST tire claims a higher load capacity, which is probably just the safety margin that the LT tire includes, rather than a different design. The LT load capacity was 3750, same as the Goodyear G614. The ST version with the ST certification claims a capacity of >4000 lbs, because ST tires don't have to include the safety margin.

rxbristol

I'm a fan of ST tires, but you have to buy quality ones which are usually marketed as semi-truck/semitrailer lowboy tires. Their quality is heads above RV trailer/regular trailer ST tires. I saw a lowboy semitrailer that had five axles with a total of 20 tires (heavy load) using the Continental EcoPlus HT3 tires (the ones I have)--they're "J" rated. You'll need a 17.5" rim to use this type of tire.