Considering Brake/Axle upgrade on 2014 BH3010RE

GregP

I have a 2014 BH3010RE with the original 6000lb axels, wheels and brakes (relined at about 10000 miles). I have been considering upgrading the brakes to disks as I have heard that they are better than the factory brakes. I am also considering changing out the entire axle assembly and replacing the 6K axels with 7K. Does anyone have any advice to offer in regard to this plan? Am I opening up a whole new can of worms that will cost a bundle or would this generally be considered the right way to go. Also, I am located in Canada and would prefer to have the work done in the US while down there next year. Some Canadian dealers don't want to work on rigs purchased in the US, and my nearest HL dealer is in Northern Minnesota. Any suggestions on where the best place would be to get the work done?

pegmikef

I don't know about the axles, but I know Moryde in Elkhart, IN does the disc brakes. They also do the IS system or a combination of both at the same time. You might want to check with them.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Wow, I have the same rig with over 25K miles on it. At last state inspection in PA, August, my guy said the brakes still had plenty of lining left. BTW- we don't do many miles on the interstates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean-Pam

We did the disc brakes and IS, getting the rally pricing. The disk brakes have saved me twice not, cars darting into my buffer space and then stopping short. I hate to think what would have happened with had still had the factory drum brakes. Good luck on what ever you decide is best for you.

GOTTOYS

Any suspension shop can swap axles if that's what you decide to do. Doesn't have to be a Heartland dealer, doesn't even have to be an RV dealer. The axles and brakes are pretty generic. I myself, don't see going to the 7,000# axles as much of an upgrade. If you haven't been having any axle problems to this point what is there to gain? There isn't much difference between the two. I might suggest installing the disc brakes. This is an upgrade that most seem to think is worth the cost. There is a regular on this site named Titanguy, that can probably offer a lot of his perspective in that area....Don

Titanguy

Disc Brakes, good decision.
Axle upgrade, questionable. Dexter makes some 6k axles that have 8 bolt holes. If you have 8 hole wheels, upgrade if you want.
Most 6k axles are 6 hole. If that is the case you also have to change your wheels as well. All 7k axles are have 8 bolt holes. If you are changing wheels why not upgrade the tires.
As a full timer who spent 40 years in the tire business and currently sells/installs disc brake systems, the most important upgrades you can make
are upgrading the tire/wheel combination and disc brakes. The rest, if it ain't broke....

GregP

Thanks for all the input. I knew there were people out there with a lot more knowledge than me, so I appreciate the advice. The consensus appears to be; change the brakes and wheels, but not worry about the axles. I have about 25000 miles on the unit since purchased, and a lot of it (nearly all) has been on non-interstate highways and secondary roads. We love the BH, and have had almost no problems with it, and I thought we could improve on safety with the brake and axle upgrades. By the way. We are still running on the original Towmax tires and have had no problems with them. I am acutely aware of the other poster's problems, and will not be replacing the existing tires with Towmax, but will replace wheels and tires along with the brakes and IS as recommended. We have never been to Indiana, so it looks like we might take a trip there in 2016 to get some work done and maybe even visit the factory for a tour. Would be nice to see how these things look from the inside out.

dewwood

I believe you can upgrade your tires without changing wheels. I did the IS and disc brake upgrade and also put the G rated Sailuns on the rims that were on our Bighorn. They were rated for the higher load and PSI so I did not have to change the wheels. I got the Sailuns from http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/RS2358516G, they are located in Edon, Ohio about an hour and a half from Elkhart.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2014 BH3010RE with the original 6000lb axels, wheels and brakes (relined at about 10000 miles). I have been considering upgrading the brakes to disks as I have heard that they are better than the factory brakes. I am also considering changing out the entire axle assembly and replacing the 6K axels with 7K. Does anyone have any advice to offer in regard to this plan? Am I opening up a whole new can of worms that will cost a bundle or would this generally be considered the right way to go. Also, I am located in Canada and would prefer to have the work done in the US while down there next year. Some Canadian dealers don't want to work on rigs purchased in the US, and my nearest HL dealer is in Northern Minnesota. Any suggestions on where the best place would be to get the work done?

I had the axles and springs upgraded on our previous Heartland Trail Runner bumper pull trailer by a shop here in Denver.

Denver, Colorado is a great place to hang out for a few days . . .

I'll give you the contact info for them if you need it!

They did an awesome job!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
FWIW, our 2011 Elk Ridge has 6,000 Lippert axels, with 8 lug wheels.

Ours were too, but our wheels are not rated for the 110 psi.

We upgraded to 7k axles which came with bigger brakes. Can I tell a difference? Not sure since we did it just after one year old. It's 5 years old now. No running gear issues since, except wearing out our original shackles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you can upgrade your tires without changing wheels. I did the IS and disc brake upgrade and also put the G rated Sailuns on the rims that were on our Bighorn. They were rated for the higher load and PSI so I did not have to change the wheels. I got the Sailuns from http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/RS2358516G, they are located in Edon, Ohio about an hour and a half from Elkhart.
Do you have a good air compressor that you recommend?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Viair 400P-RV. 12 volt, automatic shut-off will run up to 150 PSI. Great quality, dependable but not cheap....Don

Also look at the Viair 450 P, about the same price, but has a 100 percent duty cycle. Basically the same compressor.