Considering new Tow Vehicle 2016 Chevrolet 3500 Dually - need advice on truck and B&W hitch

8amps

We are wanting to trade in our 2007 GMC 3500 - sad to see our LBZ go, but it has 130,000 miles (nothing to the engine, I know). We are looking at a 2016 Chevrolet 3500. It only has 9000 miles on it, so still under factory warranty and it has some of the features we wanted. It is not currently set up with undermount towing. We have the B&W Companion hitch, which we love. So... dealer is offering to put in the gooseneck as part of the deal (which the companion hooks on). Is this something to trust the dealer with or should we have it done at a hitch shop?
Also, the truck sits about 2-3 inches higher than our old one. We tow level now (with no airbags though there is a slight squat when the trailer is hitched). Never had any contact with the bed rails and have enough clearance on our current set up. Both trucks are 4WD and long boxes.

I've read on here where someone has been nose high and had problems with too much weight on their rear trailer axle. I know the B&W hitch is adjustable but not sure by how much. Any thoughts HOC braintrust? Any feed back on the truck would be appreciated as well.
Have a great day

wehavefun

Any dealership can install. your B&W turnover, they send very good instructions and its very easy to install.

You have 3 height setting on your companion, pull your upper hitch off and you will,see the galvanized uprights on each side with several bolt holes and 4 bolts for the 3 height options. If you need another set of instructions you can print them from B&W website I imagine.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Considering new Tow Vehicle 2016 Chevrolet 3500 Dually - need advice on truck and B&W hitch

X2. Hitch should be able to adjust some. Also pin weight will lower the truck rear, but likely still be level. Rear is sitting higher when unloaded. Congrats on the upgrade! I found our 2013 easier to drive than the 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8amps

Re: Considering new Tow Vehicle 2016 Chevrolet 3500 Dually - need advice on truck and B&W hitch

X2. Hitch should be able to adjust some. Also pin weight will lower the truck rear, but likely still be level. Rear is sitting higher when unloaded. Congrats on the upgrade! I found our 2013 easier to drive than the 2004.

We took the hitch out (the bed looks so weird without it!) and we can go down one bolt hole. Which based on the truck height won't be enough but maybe the pin box adjustment will be sufficient.

Just didn't want to find out too late it couldn't be adjusted. Looking forward to the new truck. It's a LT not a LTZ trim package with all the goodies but the dealer is putting in leather seats and the undermount for the B&W as part of the deal.

carl.swoyer

CONGRATS ON THE NEW TRUCK. Just wanted to ask a question. After reading this post do I understand that by raising the height of the hitch your reducing the weight on the drive axel?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

meagle

Re: Considering new Tow Vehicle 2016 Chevrolet 3500 Dually - need advice on truck and B&W hitch

Last June I purchased a new 2016 GMC 3500 dually with the Denali package. I absolutely love the truck. I have had zero problems. It is the first American made vehicle I've owned that I have not had to bring it in for warranty work. It tows like a dream, is quiet and comfortable, and has rear progressive springs on it. I tow a Landmark and did not need to add any suspension upgrades. If you read the different reviews on this truck you find them to be outstanding. Car and Driver calls it the "Tajmahauler." If it is anything like mine you will love it. Happy traveling!

firemailwv

CONGRATS ON THE NEW TRUCK. Just wanted to ask a question. After reading this post do I understand that by raising the height of the hitch your reducing the weight on the drive axel?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I believe he was referring to the truck height would lower when the camper is hooked to it. The pin weight of the camper will settle the rear down a few inches.

firemailwv

I've read on here where someone has been nose high and had problems with too much weight on their rear trailer axle. I know the B&W hitch is adjustable but not sure by how much. Any thoughts HOC braintrust? Any feed back on the truck would be appreciated as well.
Have a great day

That sure doesn't sound right to me. If you have equalizer shackles, the rotation of the axles lets both axles continue to ride level regardless of the pitch of the trailer. Now if the axles were fixed, I could certainly agree with that.

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Last June I purchased a new 2016 GMC 3500 dually with the Denali package. I absolutely love the truck. I have had zero problems. It is the first American made vehicle I've owned that I have not had to bring it in for warranty work. It tows like a dream, is quiet and comfortable, and has rear progressive springs on it. I tow a Landmark and did not need to add any suspension upgrades. If you read the different reviews on this truck you find them to be outstanding. Car and Driver calls it the "Tajmahauler." If it is anything like mine you will love it. Happy traveling!

An Absolute DITTO !!!