Considering new truck - questions about GCVWR and going over 26,000 lbs

danemayer

Well I was asking the cdl drivers here and thier thoughts and they all said to get the non commercial class a, as with a cdl any tickets you incur stay on the driving record and cannot be deferred...and that WILL impact your insurance rates.....

Something else to consider I suppose...

At least we are getting somewhere definitive!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish
The Class A CDL got me an insurance discount.

If you go with the CDL, you either have to get an annual physical, or fill out the form that says you're not using it commercially, which puts a code on the license that essentially makes it more like a non-Commercial Class A. Just a few dollars more expensive.

IronJ

Yes I was more referring to the fact a simple speeding ticket in your personal car cannot be deferred or a defensive driving class taken , nor the points on your liscense averted....

With a cdl there is no leniency...they write a ticket, you pay it and get the points...end of story...not so with a non cdl a endorsement.

Just more things to ponder as I drive around "apparently" un licensed for the combo I own....

I have absolutely no intentions of getting the endorsement until my liscense is up for renewal...and even then...who knows?

rxbristol

Yes I was more referring to the fact a simple speeding ticket in your personal car cannot be deferred or a defensive driving class taken , nor the points on your liscense averted....

With a cdl there is no leniency...they write a ticket, you pay it and get the points...end of story...not so with a non cdl a endorsement.

Just more things to ponder as I drive around "apparently" un licensed for the combo I own....

I have absolutely no intentions of getting the endorsement until my liscense is up for renewal...and even then...who knows?

That's an interesting perspective on licencing laws.

IronJ

The majority of us break laws often...speeding, Jay walking, littering, no seatbelt ,texting and driving??..

All done willfully with a full understanding of the potential consequences of doing so...so just add my "class a stamp" to the list....

Not much if any different no?

Jim.Allison

Texas Administrative Code

Gross combination weight rating (GCWR)--
The value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination (articulated) vehicle. If there is no manufacturer's specified value, gross combination weight rating is determined by adding the GVWR of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit or units and any load on a towed unit.

A Ram 3500 4X2 Dually with a crew cab, 6.7 Cummins, 3:42 axel, and A6 68RFE automatic transmission seems to fall under the 26001 GCWR as defined by Texas Administrative Code, and operable with a Texas Class C License.

GVWR 14000 LBS
Payload 6170 LBS
GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating, specified by the manufacturer (see definition) 25300 LBS
Max Trailer Weight Rating 17000 LBS