Correct Track - Check the bolts and nuts !!!

blong

Folks,

Just a heads up to check your correct track nuts for tightness, These are the bolts the go through the yellow plates into the frame shackles that hold the suspension up on your trailer. We picked up our rig August last year. Its been for two outings one brief week long run last summer and our annual Florida run in March. We were all set to leave the campground last weekend when I noticed one of the yellow plates turned sideways and the bolt sticking out from the mount. Long story short, the nut came loose and feel off and the bolt was just barely hanging on in the slot it goes through. Had we not noticed and driven away and the bolt could have completely fallen out and it could have been disastrous. So CHECK the nuts to make sure they are in fact still all there, and tight. We found a nut that fit, (A friend and local fulltime camper owns a auto shop nearby and found us the right one), that got us home. When the nut came off the inside yellow plate was lost too...another warranty request. It looks like the one bolt is too short, so the nut was not on far enough to catch the locking threads and thats why it fell off. I can not believe someone would let this go out of the factory this way. The guy who did this would know it was too short when he put the nut on, but did not care obviously. I would not be able to sleep at night knowing this one thing could have cost someone their life had it caused a serious crash when the suspension dropped out. Too Scary and we feel lucky to have caught it in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Not a bad idea to check the suspension nuts and bolts, along with shackle links on a scheduled basis - maybe monthly. Certainly before leaving on a long trip.

FYI, shackle links can wear out and break after two or three years - especially the thin links that are standard equipment. A broken shackle link would probably have a similar effect as losing a bolt on the Correct Track.

I had a shackle link break while backing into my storage space and was concerned about towing the rig even a mile to the service location. The service guys told me they see them all the time and it's not uncommon for people to tow many miles before they even realize there's a problem.

sdwelling

My rig is at the shop now getting some attention for a misaligned axle...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sdwelling

My rig is at the shop now getting some attention for a misaligned axle...

My issue is tires so out of round and bulging that they require immediate replacement.

8amps

I'm going to ask a stupid question... Is a shackle link the same thing as a shackle strap? Metal strip with one hole on each end? On both sides of our trailer, our rear axle, rear shackle is nearly worn through. Looks like leaf spring is rubbing up against it. I'm presuming the shackle needs to be replaced but any ideas what is causing the wear?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If those are the original shackles you are doing good.
I suggest getting new wet bolts with the heavy duty shackles. The heavy duties are about twice the thickness as the originals.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Is a shackle link the same thing as a shackle strap? Metal strip with one hole on each end? On both sides of our trailer, our rear axle, rear shackle is nearly worn through. Looks like leaf spring is rubbing up against it. I'm presuming the shackle needs to be replaced but any ideas what is causing the wear?

Are you guys still in Colorado?

If so I can give you the name of the place that did the axle replacement on our Trail Runner last May (the weekend before the Cherry Creek Campout).

Those guys were/are awesome!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On both sides of our trailer, our rear axle, rear shackle is nearly worn through. Looks like leaf spring is rubbing up against it. I'm presuming the shackle needs to be replaced but any ideas what is causing the wear?

Using it causes wear.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439734894.212356.jpg pic shows shackle that was propabably OEM, 4 years old. Next to it a new Lippert shackle (not the heavy duty kind).

The bushings inside the spring eyes will also be worn, so plan on replacing them as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439735063.743948.jpg
Pic shows new "Never Fail" bushing, two worn bushings, and an new nylon bushing (like OEM).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8amps

Hi John,
Yes we are still in Colorado for another 2 weeks. Would appreciate the info. I was actually thinking of this just last night. You beat me to it. We took off the wheels to repack the bearings and like a Pandora's box all sorts of things are coming up. Which may or may not be related but are getting further and further outside our skill level/mechanical handiness.
How's the new trailer?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hi John,
Yes we are still in Colorado for another 2 weeks. Would appreciate the info. I was actually thinking of this just last night. You beat me to it. We took off the wheels to repack the bearings and like a Pandora's box all sorts of things are coming up. Which may or may not be related but are getting further and further outside our skill level/mechanical handiness.
How's the new trailer?

New trailer is great so far!

Some very small issues . . . but will be getting those fixed before the fall rally in Central City!

We are leaving this weekend for a couple of days in Buena Vista (Sat & Sun), then Monday heading over to Blue Mesa until Friday!

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.trailermadetrailers.com/

They are located on Tennyson just south of where I-76 crosses Tennyson near 53rd. Ave.

These guys were awesome . . . I will be taking our Prowler there for anything related to springs, wheel bearings, axles . . . anything like that!

And after our experience in Phoenix last January, I'll definately have them do our wheel bearings before we leave for the Tucson Rally next February!

Ask for Damon (the owner) . . . office number is 303-990-9497.

You guys have my cell number if you need a hand!