Cost of electricity

btbaillie

Dumb question.

I am paying for electricity at the rv park we are in. I am plugged into the 50amp but we don't need 50amp. If I plug into 30amp, will my electric bill go down?

Bruce & Lu

jimtoo

Don't see how,,, your only paying for the kilowatts you use,, doesn't matter if it comes through a 30 amp or 50 amp connector. Your use is determined by what you have on in the RV. Unless they are charging extra because it is a 50amp site.

Westwind

For the first time we are paying for our electricity. We are located in Florida at an RV Resort outside of Punta Gorda. FPL, Florida Light and Power has a meter on the electricity pedestal and we had to call in the meter number and set up an account with them prior to our arrival. It required a $100 deposit which will cover the last months bill with any overages or refunds taken from the deposit. Our first months bill, January totaled $76 dollars, we used our electric heaters/washer-dryer and some AC. From what we understand that is an average amount. Our FW is 50 amp, no way could we operate on 30 amp. I'm sure your location - state - and electric company will determine how your account is set up and KW hours for cost.

Niles

Cost won't change no matter what you're hooked to, it is the usage no matter if comes though a 20amp plug. We were set up in Custer SD last year on a meter. This was the first time we ever did this and was a little nervous. However using the AC and WH,on electric, we did about $65 a month which wasn't too bad in our opinion.

RoadJunkie

We have started to take cell phone pictures of power meters when we start to set up at locations were we are charged for electric. They have come in handy when we were overcharged.

Westwind

That's a good idea, never thought to do that but I'll remember for the end of this year and next.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, fortunately for me, the folks that own and operate the CG we stay at all summer are honest, as well as dedicated to the operation of their CG. They read the meter and when we're back in "residence," I stop by the office and pay the bill.

btbaillie

The meter is monitored by the park and we pay the park directly. It gets chilly at night so we were running the furnace at night at about 60deg. We were refilling propane once a week at $25 per fill (30#). So we bought an electric ceramic heater and set to the lowest setting at 65deg at night. Our electric bill went up to $140 for the month.

I guess it just costs to heat no matter what.

Bruce & Lu