Coupler latch has some play in it, is that normal?

Dlohrer

Hello all, I have a 2022 heartland Sundance 293 RL. When I first purchased it there was no play on the latch for the coupler that attaches the camper to the ball. Last time we we t out I unhooked it from the hitch at the campground and noticed there was now a little bit of play with the latch. Is this normal as I am a bit concerned towing again for our next trip.

taskswap

Can you elaborate on "play" - maybe even share a video? If you're talking about the lever that you lift or flip over to lock the coupler onto the ball, every trailer I've owned has had SOME play. That lever is just a short piece of metal usually riveted to a longer one that goes down through a hole in the coupler. When latched, it lifts up on a spoon-shaped paddle that goes under the ball. When released, the paddle falls away from the ball. The whole assembly MUST have some play or it would be so tight you'd never move it, and the ball itself needs a little play in the coupler to allow for movement while you tow. (If you ever want to see a LOT of play, but still 100% normal, go look up videos of "pintle" style hitches, which are nothing more than a ring that drops over the ball.) How much is too much? That's really hard to say without seeing more.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't have a bumper pull trailer I'm pretty sure that you need to keep the ball well lubricated with grease. Is yours?
You may have experienced some wear to create that little bit of play.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

Dlohrer

Can you elaborate on "play" - maybe even share a video? If you're talking about the lever that you lift or flip over to lock the coupler onto the ball, every trailer I've owned has had SOME play. That lever is just a short piece of metal usually riveted to a longer one that goes down through a hole in the coupler. When latched, it lifts up on a spoon-shaped paddle that goes under the ball. When released, the paddle falls away from the ball. The whole assembly MUST have some play or it would be so tight you'd never move it, and the ball itself needs a little play in the coupler to allow for movement while you tow. (If you ever want to see a LOT of play, but still 100% normal, go look up videos of "pintle" style hitches, which are nothing more than a ring that drops over the ball.) How much is too much? That's really hard to say without seeing more.
The latch that goes forward to attach the ball use to be flush. Now aftwr we pulled the camper the latch in forward position has a quarter inch play up and down.

taskswap

I'm used to having some play there but not a quarter inch. Without seeing it, it's hard to say (and I'm an owner, not a mechanic, anyway, so my opinion is worth what you paid :)). You can do a quick test by using your tongue jack to raise your camper while it's still attached to your tow vehicle (and latched). Don't stress it by lifting it a foot off the ground. But you should be able to watch the tongue of the camper "lift" your vehicle's rear suspension several inches without the coupler letting go. (This happens as you drive as you go over bumps, and is what that "spoon" shaped piece that latches under the ball is designed to do.) Personally, if it passed this test, I would probably live-with-it (and worry, every haul...), but my ADVICE is to have someone check it out...