Crack in fiberglass wall

danemayer

... I said no way, this unit needs to go back to the factory to be repaired. They can't even make a decision to carry it back to the factory. Something is very very wrong here.

Roger,

Maybe you should let them investigate so they can determine what needs to be done.

pokypa

Just and update. I just called Heartland and they refuse to bring it back to the factory for repairs. They have Ok'd McGeorge RV to cut open the side of my new unit to find out what caused the crack and then fix it. I'm sick at my stomach to thing of that. Jamie Justis at Heartland said I had no other recourse but to go their way. Heartland is not the company to me that I read on this forum.

Garypowell

Pokypa,

certainly sorry to hear of your problem. I bought my current 2013 rig from McGeorge. From sales through prep and walk through they were excellent! Granted living in FL we have not had anything worked on by them.

I would encourage you to work with them and don't condemn then prior to them actually doing what heartland thinks they are capable of doing.

You our might be surprised. If still concerned....then you work from there.

pokypa

Pictures of crack in sidewall and picture where dealer has cut out the crack. This is a new unit. Heartland refused to do the work at the factory. I feel Heartland has thrown me to the dogs. The right person needs to see these picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 298

sengli

Yikes! So they cut the damaged area out? I cant imagine how they will repair this. Do you know what their plan is for this repair?

danemayer

Early in our marriage my wife came home one Saturday and found me repairing the tape player from my car. There must have been 70 or 80 tiny parts laid out on the dining room table. I had my hands deep inside what was left of the player. In her mind, there was no possible way that tape player was ever going to get put back together, much less fill the hole in the console of the car, much less ever play a tape again. But it did go back together, and went back into the car, and did work. But to her, it looked like a disaster.

I'm sure to people who don't do body work your pictures look horrible. But to people who have the right skills, it's probably no big deal.

The investigation is progressing. Hopefully a course of action will be determined before too long and you'll get some feedback. And your RV will get fixed.

pokypa

McGeorge RV said that a weld broke in the side wall. Their plans are to weld the break and fill in the hole. Looks like part of the cut went into the roof surface. Can't imagine couple years if that long wha t all of this will bring. The roof will have a patch along with the side wall. At the very least Heartland should have repaired this back at the factory. Thank all of you for the words of encouragement.

Birchwood

There are always problems with a new unit the first year.just make sure you make all claims and be sure Heartland documents each claim for future reference.Your problems will settle down as ours did with our Landmark.

wrgrs50s

I'm wondering if they were able to determine if it was just a poor weld that let go, or is it a flex issue that caused it to let go. In order to strengthen that weld it would be good to also gusset the union. Gussets are used in race car and other chassis fabrication for added strength.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yikes! So they cut the damaged area out? I cant imagine how they will repair this. Do you know what their plan is for this repair?

A friend here on the forum tore the side off his rig in a storage yard.
It has been completely repaired to the point where you can not even tell there was ever any damage. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
If they have good fibre glass guy do the work you won't be able to see where the repair was done. That was the case on 2 repairs I've had done. Doug

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hope you are right. Have not heard from dealer or Heartland on the repairs.

If you have a phone that works I'd call them AT LEAST EVERY WEEK. Not calling to them means they have all the time in the world to fix your RV.

Last edited by a moderator:

pokypa

I do have a phone that works and have called more times than I have fingers. I have ask for extended warranty on the area that is crack and was told no by Heartland. I'm not happy at all with Heartland at this point. No personal interest in this fracture at all. Dealer did email me today and said that the weld that broke has been welded back and the fiber glass man will be filling in the hole that was cut into my NEW BIG HORN. Put yourself in my place and you would be sick to think about this.