Crazy!!!!

callowaykid

So here is a crazy story I thought I would share. So I have been renting my camper out for the past month (can't believe how many people actually pay me to have it for a week). So last weekend some renters had my camper and when I went to pick it up I noticed the black tank valve was closed and my gauge read almost full. Why would you pay for full hookups and not open the valve for the sewer system? Anyway, I noticed the tank was basically full so I opend the valve and water came out but at a trickle. Crap, I have a clog somewhere, right? Well that's what I thought. I proceeded to stick my pressure hose thingy down the toilet a couple times and low and behold the gauge read empty. Great, so I packed up the camper and brought it home. Yesterday I was getting it ready to go back in the road, hit the gauge again and it read almost full. Crap! So I put my gloves on stick a bucket under the valve and opened the cap, about a cup of brown water trickled out. Well I thought I would pour a bucket of water in the toilet to see if it would rush through the tank and out of the open valve and sure enough it did. The water coming out was fairly clean so I figured well it's not clogged thankfully. The gauge is still reading full. So my assumption is that something (toilet paper) is covering or partially covering a sensor. What I don't understand is why it read empty last weekend when I left and after sitting idle for a week at home it is reading full again. How can the sensor be covered again when the camper has basically no water in it, and the camper is not moving? Crazy, I don't get it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I hate to tell you but your sensor are like most of our out here. They don't work !!!!
On my Landmark all tanks are reading full most of the time.
Some days they say 2/3. it's a horrible design.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

The sensors we've had on our BH, on any of our boats and even on our clothes dryers have never registered properly. All it takes is a small piece of something to be in front of the sensor to throw it off. Just saying........

Lynn1130

Why would you pay for full hookups and not open the valve for the sewer system?

It is pretty normal and the suggested method to leave the black tank valve closed until it is full and then dump. Leaving the valve open can/will cause a poop pile under the toilet, in the tank which will eventually block up the tank. liquids drain out but the solids don't.

callowaykid

Understandable, but just makes more since to me to close the grey tank the night before leaving and use it later to flush the system. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Lynn1130

What you suggest is the normal process(closing the gray a day or so before dumping the black) except for leaving the black open all of the time. Most recommend 3/4 full but since the gauges are so inaccurate is is generally the norm to wait until the black tanks starts "burping" and then dump. Not so much different strokes as the recommended process to avoid black tank plugs.

callowaykid

Yea, I am pretty sure the reason I had so much trouble with the senors in the past is because the black tank was closed and the sewer was able to sit in the tank for days thus caking the senors up with fecal matter and toilet paper. I would rather have that stuff slip through the pipes and out of the drain.

kowAlski631

Leaving the black tank open can result in the dreaded poop pyramid. We leave it closed and the gray tanks open. A day or so before moving, we close the gray tanks also so that we have soapy water to flush out the black tank.

kbausano

It is generally the norm to wait until the black tanks starts "burping" and then dump.

Here's something new to us - our toilet started 'burping' about a week ago. Thought it had something to do with the black tank being full, so we dumped (and cleaned) the black tank. We're again on the road, and the tank is doing it's 'burping' again - really a bubble coming up through the small amount of water at the bottom of the toilet bowl - every time the toilet is flushed. Strangely, that is also happening with the black tank valve open OR closed.

Apparently some gas is being produced in the tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHerrick

Here's something new to us - our toilet started 'burping' about a week ago. Thought it had something to do with the black tank being full, so we dumped (and cleaned) the black tank. We're again on the road, and the tank is doing it's 'burping' again - really a bubble coming up through the small amount of water at the bottom of the toilet bowl - every time the toilet is flushed. Strangely, that is also happening with the black tank valve open OR closed.

Apparently some gas is being produced in the tank. Any thoughts?

It sounds like you have a blockage in your black tank vent. Drag a hose to the roof after opening your black tank drain valve and then flush water down the vent pipe.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Or you could have a clog in the pipe between the toilet and the tank.

Peace
Dave

kbausano

Is anyone familiar as to the layout of the backflush spray mechanisms in the black tank (Bighorn 3760)? I use mine regularly, but perhaps they are not spraying where I hope they are? A schematic would certainly help

Last edited: