Cut off switch and brakes

ILH

I've been researching a battery problem - and it made me wonder... if the battery cut off switch is engaged, will the trailer brakes function if the hitch pulls away?

DougS

Doug S
Good question, I would not think the battery switch would kill electric to brakes since it is required that brakes come on if you become disconnected from pull vehicle. Next time I hookup, I'll check mine to be on the safe side.

evolvingpowercat

The trailer brakes would still work when powered by the brake lead from your tow vehicle driven by the tow vehicle 12 volt system and the tow vehicle trailer brake controller. But if trailer broke away and the electrical cable from tow vehicle came off then the trailer brakes would not be able to get 12 volts from the trailer battery and break away switch if the 12 volt cut off switch was in cut off position. Unless the 12 volt side wire of the trailer brake controller was wired directly to the battery and bypassed the cutoff switch.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Last week when I installed a MorRyde pinbox on our Cyclone I had to remove and relocate the breakaway switch on the new pinbox. The batteries were turned OFF but after a few minutes of the cable being pulled from the switch I noticed the switch had gotten quite warm. Conclusion....on our Cyclone the breakway switch will activate the brakes regardless of battery switch position. This assumes the batteries are installed and charged.
In my opinion this is the way it should be wired since many RVers prefer to tow with all onboard power turned off.

FiremanBill

Last week when I installed a MorRyde pinbox on our Cyclone I had to remove and relocate the breakaway switch on the new pinbox. The batteries were turned OFF but after a few minutes of the cable being pulled from the switch I noticed the switch had gotten quite warm. Conclusion....on our Cyclone the breakway switch will activate the brakes regardless of battery switch position. This assumes the batteries are installed and charged.
In my opinion this is the way it should be wired since many RVers prefer to tow with all onboard power turned off.

Going to have to check that. I will be very pleased if mine works like this. My old unit (not a heartland) did not. I had to leave my battery on all the time unless in storage