Cyclone 4000 Elite & Smart Car?

chiefneon

Howdy!

I'm a new member and doing research on moving to a Toy Hauler as a fulltime RVer. The Cyclone 4000 Elite is one that has caught my eye and I like the livingroom area as a fulltimer. The one big question I have is we would like to load a Samrt Car into the garage. I know it will fit but is there any problem with the ramp and the weight of the Smart Car which is 1700 to 1800 lbs? Also would I encounter problems with the ramp loading on unlevel ground?

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

danemayer

Hi chiefneon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm pretty sure you'll hear from a Cyclone owner shortly about traveling with a Smart Car.

remoandiris

I believe the ramp is beefier with the patio option. Your dealer should be able to verify that. When I remove/replace my motorcycle on uneven ground I put plastic leveling blocks under the door to level it out. A Smart Car is twice as heavy as my bike. Keep in mind there will be times you have to remove the car before you back into a site. Also, there will be times the ramp will be at a shallower angle prior to leveling the unit.

bill40

There are people on here that carry a Smart car and have for quite a while without any problems. I think Dave will jump in and give you some good advice.

Subdrv

I own a 2014 4000. I don't have the smart car but the only advice I would give you is to be careful on how you option the unit, the out the door weight on mine was 15600# we did have a long list of options but that only left me with 2400# of additional things part of which went away with the washer/dryer and sat dish. If you give up 1800# for the smart car you are down to 600# of stuff. On a different note the floor plan is great, we have been it for 3 months an really like it.

jasons09cyclone

javy6ure.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jasons09cyclone

I used to carry around an 1100 # gem car but switched to a smart car for more freedom. . As far as the driving goes I don't even feel the difference with our with out the smart car in the 42ft fifth wheel. . And the ramp door seams to be holding up with no problems. . Hope this helps. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

smart for the Cyclone... Absolutely. I been traveling with the my smart in the 4012 the past two+ years. Now here is the kicker that you'll have careful of, and that is overloading. The 4000 CCC is about 3,900 pounds. Subtract the smart weight (1825 lbs) and you now only have 2075 lbs for all the other stuff. For a full-time RVer, that may be hard to manage, but can be done if you think you can get by with the bare minimum. I think the new Cyclone ramps are rated up to 3000 lbs. Mine is rated for 2500 lbs and there hasn't been any problem at all.

One thing that you will have to do is upgrade to 7,000 lb axles and springs. You can trust me on this. (But, on the other hand, with the Dexter axle and springs, it may be fine. I don't know. I have Lippert axle and spring assemblies.) I recommend you get the winter package with it too if you'll be spending some time in cold areas. Hopefully the wheels will meet or exceed the tire load ratings. I recently learned I didn't have the right (OEM) wheels after a wheel failure. I still need to come up with one more wheel on rear axle to bring it up to par.

If you would like to talk to me, send me a private message with your phone number.

TXTiger

Not sure but I would suggest that you always load and unload the smart car with the trailer hitched up to the truck, if for no other reason but as a precaution!!!