Cyclone 4000 Elite - Some disappointments; some great!

Hello Everyone,

Being a detailed person with lots of construction experience (rough and detailed) I've seen some issues with the brand new Cyclone 4000.

1. I've only seen two of this model and both have had a significant window leak. I haven't called customer support yet but I shouldn't have to. The previous model we saw had lots of water damage and mold from an undiscovered window leak. The unit we own had a the entire window well full of water after a hard storm. We didn't see the water come in so I need to run a host to track it down. Sadly, in west Texas we haven't had that much hard rains (or any rain) to see this again naturally. I was telling my factory rep that I've seen leaking windows a 100% of the time on this model.

2. The attachment of the Lippert 3-seasons room to the camper garage section was poorly done. In fact, the screws only penetrate the outer layer and do not actually attach into what is suppose to support it. They also allowed the metal frame to slip allowing the bottom (holding the screen door sliding mechanism) to run bottom and not align with the adjoining door. I'm actually afraid to bring this to a warranty place since they will probably muddle through it and not really fix it. In many ways, its better to make my own repairs but its disappointing to have to.

3. The clothes closet is about 1-1/2" shy of holding hangers that are perpendicular to the hanging rod. The closet doors hits the hangers causing each hanger to be diverted at about 8 degrees. From studying the construction then could have come 1 or 2" further out and still be on the step-up area allowing for walking between the mattress and the closets.

3. The forward sewage and grey water compartment has two labels on the door but none inside the compartment. Which valve release is not detailed by any labels nor the manual. The label on the door had "Sewage" above another label with "Gray #1". I thought that would mean left to right would be "Sewage" (left valve) and "Grey" (right valve). Here where we are parked, we were told to use a grey water hose and the adapter. I chose wrong! I pulled the right valve only yo have toilet paper barely poke 50 feet away out of the hose. Where would the difficulty have been to label the valve handles or under them within the cabinet? How about on the door itself have a word to the left or right side of the door to represent the valve locations? Its fair to say this was a "crappy" design!

4. On the bed and the under-bed storage is a hinge attached to the bed plywood supporting the mattress. They used screws some 1 inch too long that are penetrating right on top of the support wood structure beneath the plywood. These screws have torn large dug out areas of that wood thus allowing the screws to travel up and down with the movement of the plywood to gain access to the storage area.

5. Switches behind doors! We discovered that all the switches as your enter the RV is hidden behind a cabinet door. Every time you want to turn on the living area lights you have to open this door and find the right switch (when its dark). I plan to put a small LED light powered from 12 volt but that's a later project. Once again, I shouldn't have to do this. Why not make it a switch outside the cabinet on the inside of the exterior wall?

6. 4 days and we have a flat bed with the middle section being much higher since we don't sleep in the middle. Talking about a bad mattress. This is an $80k RV and it makes me want to sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag.

7. The icing on the cake. We received one set of keys. Yes, one set - one of each door key ONLY. After purchasing a $80k RV, we get one stinking set of keys! Are keys something so costly that they would need to raise the price of the RV?

8. Centralized wall switches. On this unit the bedroom lights are not on a single wall switch as you enter the bedroom. Instead, you have to reach up and flick individual lights on. Not so bad until its dark. Why not spend the little extra time to place a wall switch?

9. The loft bed ladder. Talk about an accident waiting to happen. The ladder leading to the loft is narrow and not very strong. Just think, a little wider with substantial ladder rungs would make all the safety difference in the world.

Like I said, there are good things. I like the deck as a balcony. Yes, I can bring to warranty but I shouldn't have to! This should have been built correctly. This means I have to take time out of my day. Disappointing indeed!

My recommendation is NOT to purchasea Cyclone 4000.

Thanks,

Tim Wells

danemayer

Hi TimToolMan,

I'm sorry to hear you've got these problems. Some sound like they could be fixed pretty easily by your dealer. Other issues, for example where you don't like the placement of switches, can be modified without too much trouble.
Yes, I can bring to warranty but I shouldn't have to! This should have been built correctly.
That's what we all hope whenever we buy any product. But the reason for warranties is that things built by human beings are never perfect.

Btw, I moved your thread into the Cyclone area where you're more likely to get comments from other Cyclone owners.

oscar

You don't get a perfect RV for 80K. You barely get one for $250K. You say you're "detailed", I suspect you mean "detail oriented". I'll stop there with the grammar critique.

Fortunately we haven't experienced any leaks, and we've had a few frog stranglers.

The three season wall is lightly built, for sure, but ours was installed correctly. You have to be careful with it, it's delicate.

We're not having any problems with the hanging closet. Some of the wider hangers are at a little angle (I didn't measure) but that's OK.

The sewage labeling is poorly done, I'll give you that. As I looked at it and realized that, I disconnected the hose and very carefully opened all three, one at a time a wee bit, into a bucket and discovered that the middle one dripped blue. Problem solved.

Haven't noticed any problems with the under bed storage, other than that the springs are too weak for our residential quality pillow top king. A short piece of 2x3 to hold it up takes care of that. And yes, the factory mattress is not top quality, so when we took delivery we took our good one out of our trade, and stuck it in the Cyclone, and put the one the Cyclone came with, new in plastic, in the trade. We were happy, dealer was happy.

I agree that light switch placement is a little inconsistent, and not always intuitive. That said, after a week of living in the thing we've pretty much developed the necessary muscle memory to deal with it. A lot of this is a cost issue. Snazzy wall switches for everything all at the same height etc. etc. would add to cost.

I also agree that the ladder to the loft needs help, and so have many others. I modified mine. You say you shouldn't have to make modifications, well.....in the $250K trailer you can have it all just your way.

Lastly, I received two sets of keys. I suspect your dealer messed up. That said, my gripe is that the front and rear door are not keyed the same. But, we're living with it.

Over all, I find that the price, the design and the execution are well in balance. I think it's good VALUE. We are loving ours in spite of it's (very few) shortcomings.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Thank you for the input and will take this information to our next product development meeting. Especially on the light switches and keys. We have also recently made the change on the units to increase the opening size for the loft area as well. FYI we rate the bed struts for the weight of the mattress that we use. You can replace the struts with ones that have a higher weight rating to keep the bed lifted up with your mattress.

oscar

FYI we rate the bed struts for the weight of the mattress that we use. You can replace the struts with ones that have a higher weight rating to keep the bed lifted up with your mattress.

Good idea.....I'll keep that in mind when I run into them. Thanks.

rgwilliams69

So comparisons from our 4100:

1. No leaks thus far and we've been through gully washers while set up, driving rain on the road, freezing rain, and snow. I'll keep an eye on that this Spring though.
2. Our 3 seasons door setup seems fine. We've exercised it thoroughly already, including removing and re-installing the panels. There are gaps at the bottom and sides though that will limit our use when bugs come into the mix but I am not sure how you would fix that.
3. My wife does not like the closet set up on our 4100 (we have the two closets with the bench in the middle). The closet on the ODS does seem too narrow to properly handle hangers. I think the factory has already changed this design though (retrofit please?). :)
4. Our three valves are together and were not labeled either. Experimentation like others mentioned and a label gun fixed this. I will bet that the factory can start fixing this ASAP also. (Coincidentally this must be a RV fad, coaches we have had from other manufacturers have consistently mislabeled or not labeled the valves also!).
5. Panel is open on the 4100, I feel for you though - our previous coach (another manufacturer) had all switches behind a door, in the coat closet actually, and it was a pain. Only issue with ours is seeing the panel in low light, would have been nice to have a light of some kind above the panel itself - we will be adding that.
6. I've never in any coach I have owned had a good RV mattress - always replace or augment. Wrong? Probably. Universal? Absolutely... :)
7. We only got one set of keys too. Dealer rectified this for us with a second full set of keys made on-site. Would be great if the front/back doors were keyed the same - maybe you can't get sets from the supplier like this? Anyway the dealer said they didn't get two sets of keys on delivery to them. I don't know if that was the case or they lost them.
8. Our bedroom lights are similar and aggravating. I think I saw AJ say they were going to address this though?
9. Yep, loft bed ladder sucks. I am still trying to decide what to do on that. The kids do not like going up and down it, especially without shoes on (painful I guess - I'm a big guy so I am not even going to try it). Since there has been so much said about these on the site I am hopeful that maybe Heartland will come out with a replacement that I can install or the dealer can install for me? Some others have done some cool retrofit with flat rungs but I would worry that I would mess it up if I tried.

So several similar things from the 4100 to the 4000. However we did about 18 months of exhaustive research and review of Toy Haulers and Heartland easily emerged at the top for many reasons. I have never owned a coach there weren't some things about it I didn't like or thought could have been done better (or a house either, for that matter), but I have never seen a forum for any other manufacturer where the factory and brand managers watch so closely the comments and recommendations, and then frequently take action on them. I am as impressed with Heartlandowners.org and the factory tie-in as I am with the Cyclone.

Just my two cents (or 80k). Cheers!

thanks Greg for info, will take your experience to dealer next week when my 2013 cyclone 4000 elite arrives. My initial thoughts are that, like with anything, I don't expect perfection and can only hope that my Camping World dealer will completely address any concerns I might have. I would like an opinion from other 4000/4100 owners as to whether to change out factory pin box for Mo-ryde, Trailair or similar pin box. Seems would not only make for smoother ride but better from maintenance standpoint. I drive a 2012 Dodge 3500 dually 4x4 with Reese 20k pro series hitch. Newbie, Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim, I just ordered a King 4100, should be here by the end of April sometime, we had a 39ft Raptor and I had switched out the pin box after the first trip, what a difference, took the back slap out of the seat and made for a much smoother ride, I have the Air Borne model and did remove it from my old trailer and will put it on the new one. Well worth the investment, go for it, you will not regret it.

Hi Jim, I just ordered a King 4100, should be here by the end of April sometime, we had a 39ft Raptor and I had switched out the pin box after the first trip, what a difference, took the back slap out of the seat and made for a much smoother ride, I have the Air Borne model and did remove it from my old trailer and will put it on the new one. Well worth the investment, go for it, you will not regret it.
thanks for advice, I decided to go with the Trail air mostly for reasons you mentioned..still waiting on unit to arrive, only 2 weeks past promise date..lol