Cyclone 4200 vs Jayco Seismic 4212

Jim-Lynn

Norton, don't rush right into your first purchase. Because this site is so great, my suggestion would be to contact the Chapter leader in your area of Colorado & believe my they will have Heartland members near you to meet & discuss your thoughts. These people are extremely informative and remember, you are NEVER alone out there. This is one big family.
Best of luck with your decision.....

Mrsfish

Norton- there is a Colorado chapter rally in Central City starting tomorrow!! If you can make it up, even for 1 afternoon or event- there will be a treasure trove of knowledge there, including Dan Mayer and Terry (mtpockets). These 2 people know more than I'll ever pretend to - just don't tell them I said that ;)... My husband Rick will be there and while he doesn't know as much about these rigs as the previously mentioned Dan and terry, he's a nice guy and will welcome you. Don and Monica, the Colorado chapter leaders are already up there. Hopefully they'll see this post and comment. Hope I didn't step on any toes, but I know how hard these decisions can be and didn't want a good opportunity go missed.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If you can take the time, Travel to Elkhart, Indiana and take a tour of the Cyclone plant. Jayco also offers plant tours but not sure which plants.

it is a real eye opener to see how they are made.

We took a tour of the cyclone plant June and I had a tour of the New North trail plant when our North trail was being built. Both were different and very informative.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is a thread on Cyclone construction.
Included in the thread is a link to a youtube video showing a plant tour and the heartland Cyclone advantages.

hboy1

I have owned a couple Jayco travel trailers. Still have one for sale... We are shopping the Heartland toy haulers, and I have also shopped the Jayco toy haulers too.

I think the difference comes down to quality. I really like jayco. Especially their 2 year warranty. As much as these rigs cost, I think a 2 year warranty should be standard with Heartland too.

The fit/finish of the Cyclone seems visibly better than Jayco. The jayco I was in, had sloppy trim work (ie; poor angle cuts in trim work, etc). The power of the electric levelers are inferior to the hydraulic leveling in the cyclone. But the jayco doesn't weigh as much either.. Maybe it's a trade off. But I've read a lot about the electric leveling system not performing. They don't have the strength the hydraulic system does.

I think jayco may not charge as much for some of the options (party deck; 3 season garage wall;...)

That $10,000 difference also may not be as extreme as it appears. Are you talking MSRP difference, or actual sale/negotiated price?

In the end, for me- all things being fairly equal, I would look hard at the 2 year factory warranty.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
When comparing these two models there are some key features to remember (listed below just to name a few). But also remember that Cyclone is the #1 selling toy hauler brand in the world 5 years running and that doesn't happen easily. It happens mostly by word of mouth from other customers in the market. We are very proud of the units we build and we are always pushing the Edge toy hauler development and quality standards. We have been building the 4200 for over 2 years now while there knock off 4212 was just recently released. Heartland is a company that truly builds its company's foundation off of Toy Haulers and not just dabbling like most other manufactures. Jayco is a great company, however they have never been known for toy haulers (Seismic used to be called Recon a couple of years ago and this is there attempt to re-launch the brand). Unforchunetly with any newer brand (like Seismic) there is always a learning curve in production that comes along with it. You can rest assured with over 10 years of experience with the Cyclone brand you will be getting the very best in the market place.

Cyclone has hydraulic 6 point electric leveling and Seismic uses electric (1/2 as strong and a lot more susceptible to failure)
Cyclone uses reliable hydraulic side outs (through frame) Seismic uses schwintech slide outs (which were just re-named because of its horrible reputation) - please research this more in-depth just google search and check the other form boards
Cyclone uses residential made in USA (w/ lifetime warrantee on mechanisms)5 person sofa couch, Seismic uses a 4 person couch imported from China
Cyclone has a 58" TV Seismic uses a 50"
Cyclone uses complete Dexter axle package with EZ-Flex and self adjusting breaks and Seismic does not
Cyclone uses a Blue Ray player w/ 5.1 surround sound and Seismic only uses DVD with sound bar only
Cyclone has recessed oven with solid surface c-top covers and seismic does not
Cyclone has G-rated tires and Seismic uses E's
Cyclone has a 40" TV in the garage and Seismic uses a 32"
Cyclone has convection oven (HD option) and Seismic has a STD microwave
Cyclone has insulated and laminated slide out floors N/A in Seismic
Cyclone has max vent windows with 2/3 more ventilation N/A in Seismic
Cyclone has STD 18 cu ft refrigerator where Seismic only has a 12 cu ft.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Wow! I am sold!

One thing you forgot, Cyclone is made by Heartland and Seismic is not. To the OP, it is my opinion that if the biggest concern you have is how much fresh water you can carry, you can count your blessings. My better half and I spent 6 months deciding what our next rig was going to be. We compared all the brands, narrowed it down to six, and still had to choose between two different models. Both of them ended up being Heartland products but when all was said and done we only "gave up" 2 must haves on our list when we made our decision. I will be honest, water capacity was never a concern for us. Our North Trail only carried 36 gal fresh water and we wouldn't run out boon docking for 5 days. If you do not buy an RV because of the bad stories you read, you will never buy an RV. Good luck in your decision.