Cyclone - Nev-R-Adjust Brake Issues

Lndeatr

This field does not recognize anything I copy and paste from word or Notepad. It's too long to retype. I am attaching the message as a Word Doc.

- - - Updated - - -

This field does not recognize anything I copy and paste from word or Notepad. It's too long to retype. I am attaching the message as a Word Doc.

Maybe as a response?

Just came back from a trip to a park 50 miles from us. Stayed there a week. Trailer is a 2017 3611 Cyclone. Had it a year and a half though a majority of the time it has been at the dealer. We have only had 4 trips and still have a laundry list of items to be fixed. It is scheduled to go back in on July 31st to have the sofa repaired but I’m hoping they will fix the other issues (water leaks out from under the shower tub, one of the levelers is leaking hydraulic fluid from the top of the housing, rear top left LED light intermittently works, fireplace stopped working, awning motor shaft appears to be bent and causes the end cao screws to come off.) I am going to call Heartland tomorrow to make sure I have a claim going on the other items. Seems we discover something new every time we use it.

A little history is we had a 2013 300C that we loved!! Unfortunately a garbage can sitting outside the rear caught fire and burned the back. They totaled it but we had replacement insurance which would by the current year, same model trailer or if available. If not, what they determine to be an equivalent or close to it as long as it was not down grading. The factory told the agents the replacement would be a 3611. This trailer was collecting dust on a lot in San Diego and we ended up with it. We don’t like the layout, especially the bedroom. We have had nothing but problems with it since we got it and it has literally been at the dealership more time than it has been at our house.

So this post is specifically about the brakes. On the 300C, I would run the brake controller on 9. This trailer I had to max at 13 and it was still noticeably worse and has become worse each trip. It seems my truck is doing a lot of the braking. I have put less than a 1000 miles so far. The second time I took it in to get warranty work done I told them the brakes were not stopping very well. They told me the trailer is heavier and I must be overloading them or braking incorrectly and heating them up. They also said they would never need adjustment. They advised I would have to pay to have them look at them. I opted no. My plan is to upgrade to disc if I keep it. I wrench for a living (work on ag equipment) so it won’t be a problem.

So on this trip I had very little trailer braking when we started. When we reached the park, I could max the trailer brakes and still roll it forward. Today before we left I decided to adjust them. I lifted the right side and the front wheel adjusting screw and spring were loose inside. I took the wheel and drum off and the spring and adjusting screw (3 pieces) fell out. They are very worn and it appears it loosened all the way (adjusting nut backed off the screw) and fell apart. The parts then ground against the drum as it turned. It’s also possible the spring broke and it then fell apart but the end looks ground down to me versus broken off. I took the loose parts out and cut the magnet wires to disable it so I could get home.

The right rear was so loose I could move it back and forth with my brake spoon. To tighten it, I had to raise it (push down on the spoon) which seems backwards for the adjusting lever. I haven’t worked on a forward moving self adjuster before but it seem it would push down on the adjusting nut which would loosen it. I went ahead and tightened it up and then adjusted it. Both wheels on the driver’s side were loose but not bad. So on the way home I had the best braking it has ever had even with only 3 wheels braking. By the time I got home (an hour away and no hard braking) it was still braking but worse.

So my question is, has there been issues with these brakes? It it possible that when assembled, left side parts were used on the right side? I am assuming you buy the axles with brakes as an assembly. Is this a warranty issue? If so, I have never replaced only 1 side of a trailer axle. I always replace both sides (on any vehicle for that matter) and all four on tandem axles. Does warranty cover that? Does it include rear seals? Can I do the work or do I need to make a 3 to 6 month out appointment at La Mesa?

Any response is better than none.

Attachments

• Brakes parts.jpg
    Brakes parts.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Brake Message.docx
    14.9 KB · Views: 2

danemayer

Hi Lndeatr,

You probably have Dexter axles and brakes which are warranted by Dexter. So call them directly to discuss. They will likely direct you to a repair shop that will evaluate the brakes without a charge to you. And based on my experience with Dexter, if there's any question about the shop's ability to get the brakes working well, they'll probably take care of fixing it up correctly.

You can verify whether Dexter or Lippert by crawling under the rig and looking at the label on the axle. Take a photo so you have the info on the label.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lndeatr

Hi Lndeatr,

You probably have Dexter axles and brakes which are warranted by Dexter. So call them directly to discuss. They will likely direct you to a repair shop that will evaluate the brakes without a charge to you. And based on my experience with Dexter, if there's any question about the shop's ability to get the brakes working well, they'll probably take care of fixing it up correctly.

You can verify whether Dexter or Lippert by crawling under the rig and looking at the label on the axle. Take a photo so you have the info on the label.

They are Dexter axles. I'll give them a call.

jbeletti

I can't help you with your coach issue, but I can tell you that copying from programs and pasting natively into the forum isn't a good thing. Reason being is that the embedded formatting codes for these other programs are not compatible with vBulletin (this forum's software).

In most cases, it just won't look good. But in some cases, it will actually create problems in the thread that are not correctable.

What I suggest is to copy to your clipboard from these other programs, then go into your forum post body and use the Edit menu from your browser to Paste Special or Paste and Match Style or Paste as Unformatted Text. This will generally strip any formatting and allow all the text to transfer.

Gary521

To answer your initial question, Dexter Nev R Adjust brakes are very good. They are usually trouble free. Post what you find out what the trouble was.

212Pilot

I have had several suspension problems but no brake trouble. Please provide an update when you know more. Also is there a way to subscribe to a thread without making a comment or reply?

PondSkum

I have had several suspension problems but no brake trouble. Please provide an update when you know more. Also is there a way to subscribe to a thread without making a comment or reply?

at the top of the thread, on the top right of the original post, there should be a "Thread Tools" tab that you should be able to click and select Subscribe.