Damaged tailgate suggestions

fletchco

I am new to the trailer world. Purchased a 2016 Chevy 3500 and a 2005 Bighorn. Had a B & W Patriot slider installed. First day out I released the slider when backing into a tight spot and it rammed into my tailgate. Making it a very difficult first trip out. What is my solution?

danemayer

Hi fletchco,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll hear from other owners with sliders shortly.

Moved the thread to the hitch sub-forum.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am new to the trailer world. Purchased a 2016 Chevy 3500 and a 2005 Bighorn. Had a B & W Patriot slider installed. First day out I released the slider when backing into a tight spot and it rammed into my tailgate. Making it a very difficult first trip out. What is my solution?

The solution is to put the tailgate down when using the slider.

Or take it off.

Gaffer

Don't release the slider unless you need to. 99% of the time you will never turn nearly that sharp while backing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
WOW...really. Your 3500 is a short bed???? Did the slider come completely off the tracks?? You can't leave the tailgate down or it would punch out the front compartment door when making any type of turn.

On my 1'st 2500 ('05) short bed I had a slider installed. Never needed it 3 years of pulling the Horn. HL's 88* turning really works.....in fact with the short bed (6') bed I could turn over 90* without any problems. I finally removed the slider assembly and sold it for scrap and installed the normal mounts. That begs the question....does your 3500 have a 5 1/2 foot bed or did you just get bad info from someone.

Solution.....call your insurance company and make a claim. Smushed mine (don't ask) and was told about 12-1300.00 $$$ to replace it. OUCH

Last edited:

danemayer

I've seen a 5'er where the tailgate fell open and the rig went around a corner. Left a nasty gash in the trailer.

I don't know much about slider hitches, but it seems odd that it would be designed in a way that would allow it to hit the tailgate - unless the hitch was installed further back than intended.

IronJ

Wait what?..the slider hit your tailgate or the trailer??..

Something don't sound right...??

I don't know on the Patriot slider but every other B&W I have owned could be set up Fwd or back....

Either way, call your insurance and see if there are any adjustments..

My last slider was in a dodge REALLY SHORT bed...an auto slider at that....never had an issue (with the slider...lol)

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My slider rolls back 11 inches.

I've never had to use it yet . . . the key work here is "had".

I tried it once at the dealership the day we picked up the Prowler, but I don't remember if the tailgate was up or down (I think it was up).

Next time I back our Prowler into our yard and our neighbor across the street has his truck parked right in my way (and he is not home) . . . I'm going to try the slider to see if that makes the back-in easier.

I do like having it . . . even if I don't use it!

Kinda' like having a tool in your tool box in case you need it.

I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it . . . and not have it!

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

pegmikef

Probably comprehensive.

Yeah, when I had a dumb attack and dropped the fiver on my truck, comprehensive covered it less the deductible. No damage to the fiver, but the bed was replaced (less the tailgaite which wasn't damaged).

Mrsfish

I've seen a 5'er where the tailgate fell open and the rig went around a corner. Left a nasty gash in the trailer.

I don't know much about slider hitches, but it seems odd that it would be designed in a way that would allow it to hit the tailgate - unless the hitch was installed further back than intended.

Someday you will have to ask mtpockets about his diamond plate front storage door!

SNOKING

B&W warned me about the pinbox or pinbox mount hitting the tailgate. I told them I had been towing tailgateless for 11 or 12 years!

Chris

SNOKING

Lo

That setup kicks butt - Where is that rear box from?

Well both boxes we made by a company called Creative Industries under trade name Truck Trunk. which is now out of business. I know were there is another V-Box that someone in NW Washington might be able to purchase. I bought the front box in the early 1990's and had it in our 93 RAM, it moved to the 2001.5 RAM and was modified(twice) for the 2015 Short Box RAM. The lid slide left of right for access. I have bike front fork clamps on the bock of it to carry our bike when bobtailing around. Still have to figure out how to carry our bikes to Arizona with the new BH3575el, wonder if anyone has every used the OEM receiver/bike rack with braces off the top to the rear wall below the window?

I bought the V-Box in 2003 or 2004. The V-Box lid opens to the front at the belt line and holds both of our golf clubs/bags while traveling. It is the only v-box that I have seen that opens as a single lid so that golf clubs will fit. The little black dot in the middle is a replacement black up camera for the missing OEM one in the tail gate.

B&W RVK3270 manual slider in rear position. I now have a 4.3" display on the console with a camera in the from grill for parking and another on the back of the front box that looks at the 5th wheel hitch for hooking up.

Looking at this photo and imaging the tail gate there, one can see why the OP's pin box mount made contact with the tailgate.

SNOKING

Here is a picture of my hitch view camera. B&W RVK3270 is on a Demco 6099 picture frame with OEM pucks that I installed after the fact. Chris