Dash Cameras

porthole

Retired
Recently picked up an Edge CTS2 vehicle monitor. One of the options is for a camera input. Now to find a decent 3rd brake light cam to see my hitch.

Bones

I'm late to this and am seriously considering a camera for the truck. I've had a few close calls myself. Have you looked at the new goPro hero. Very small. and I do like your Lukas. What is involved in the install. I would be interested in the no monitor and phone compatable and no OBD hook up

Bohemian

On a note as to why we may need dash cams, my wife was just side swiped by a hit and run driver on the highway. Boy is she ****ed. The only positive note is that we are getting rid of her car which is a 2004 with 350,000 miles. Not worth much at this point. I don't know if the dash cam would have caught this or perhaps the license plate of the person but it will in many circumstances..

Bones

I looked the LUKAS up the 7900 ACE on Amazon and I can get one for 220 roughly. Not bad for a start

Just started looking at dash cams, the #1 on internet is the Wicked HD G1WC 1080p which can be bought for $60.00. Has capacitor instead of battery and the h 264 video format. Anyone heard good or bad?

Bones

Just started looking at dash cams, the #1 on internet is the Wicked HD G1WC 1080p which can be bought for $60.00. Has capacitor instead of battery and the h 264 video format. Anyone heard good or bad?
H264 is the normal codec so this camera may be a little better

Cjackg

I have two of the G1Ws and think they are great for the price. I have been using one in my truck for over a year without problems and now have one installed in my OHV Polaris RZR. There are several variations of the G1W but I like the ultra wide angle version, G1W-H. They are available on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Bones

Due to the events of this past weekend I am looking at this Dash Camera. It seems to be a good deal between function and price. I'm ordering the Lukas LK-9350 DUO

Thensley

Due to the events of this past weekend I am looking at this Dash Camera. It seems to be a good deal between function and price. I'm ordering the Lukas LK-9350 DUO

I have the lukas 7950 and have to keep changing the language on it back to English at least once a week from Korean it has it's own mind I'd stay away from lukas been in touch with customer service and no help there keep sending me updates that don't help

Ladiver

I have a 7900 in my truck and my wife has one in her Jetta. They both work flawless. I would buy again in a heartbeat. We have a new Corvette and want to add one. I have not gotten around to ordering one. For that car, I would look for something a little smaller, unless I can get it to fit behind the rearview, like in my truck.

mlpeloquin

I have the Street Guardian. Continuously records and saves the recording on impact. You can manually adjust the impact force sensitivity and manually save as well. It has a screen to view the video. It has a GPS antenna that records the coordinates and automatically sets the date and time.

porthole

Retired
So, one of the features of the Garmin cam I have is the ability to either take a snapshot or save a video file. When you hit the save button you are basically changing the file attributes to 'locked' so when the the oldest file is overwritten by the new the file, the locked file is skipped.

Whenever something of interest happens I will save the current file.
I even go as far to make a voice memo on my phone as to why I saved the file to make it easier to see what to look for in the 4 minute video clips

After getting cut off for the first time 15 minutes into our 5 week trip last September I figured I would save all these rude or inattentive drivers clips and make a montage in the future.

Last week I finally pulled the card out to grab my Costco self parking carts video files.

To my surprise the only files on the card were saved-locked files from about 11-2015 to 05-2016 and all the current files going back about 2 weeks.

Every saved file from 06-2016 to 01-2017 was gone.

Bones

So, one of the features of the Garmin cam I have is the ability to either take a snapshot or save a video file. When you hit the save button you are basically changing the file attributes to 'locked' so when the the oldest file is overwritten by the new the file, the locked file is skipped.

Whenever something of interest happens I will save the current file.
I even go as far to make a voice memo on my phone as to why I saved the file to make it easier to see what to look for in the 4 minute video clips

After getting cut off for the first time 15 minutes into our 5 week trip last September I figured I would save all these rude or inattentive drivers clips and make a montage in the future.

Last week I finally pulled the card out to grab my Costco self parking carts video files.

To my surprise the only files on the card were saved-locked files from about 11-2015 to 05-2016 and all the current files going back about 2 weeks.

Every saved file from 06-2016 to 01-2017 was gone.

Man that stinks. I push my emergency button saving the files. I did what you do and I bought a couple extra cards to use. My save files are on another card. Eventually I'll establish my you tube account

porthole

Retired

So, to finish where I started.

Here is a perfect way to waste 2 1/2 minutes of your free time that you will never get back.

On a recent trip to Costco, my dash cam managed to catch multiple shopping carts (the typical large Costco variety) not only self park in the cart corral (1st cart), but avoid parked vehicles as well. One cart, after parking next to a customers car, even waited for a vehicle to pass by before continuing on it's journey (about 1:50).

Best viewed on a bigger screen because of the distance involved.

Disclaimer:
No vehicles were harmed nor carts mistreated during the production of this short film.

porthole

Retired
Man that stinks. I push my emergency button saving the files. I did what you do and I bought a couple extra cards to use. My save files are on another card. Eventually I'll establish my you tube account

Not sure what you are doing here. Does your cam hold two cards, saving 'saved' files on the secondary card?
My cam is a single card only and limited to 32 GB's.

So if my math is correct, a 32 GB card should hold approximately 125 video files, which are approximately 262 MB's each (roughly 4 minutes of video per file).

The biggest disappointment of the lost video files is a clip of us approaching the Cape Cod Rally campground.
About a mile from the entrance is a sweeping, downhill and to the right turn with a 'T" intersection at the base of the hill and roadway curve. Blind spots all around.

As we approached the bottom of the run, I spied through the trees a pickup that did not look like it as going to stop.
He did stop, about halfway into the main road, as did we in time, we then continued on.
But then the pickup driver jumped out, and in a road rage manner ran around his truck only to be almost run down by a go cart!

The cart also did not stop and almost ran into the side of us.

That was a video I rally did want to save.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Having been in the photography business pretty much my whole adult life, I can't stress enough . . .

Back up often!

A lot of these video and security cameras will only hold video until the card is full, then they start at the beginning and overwrite what is already on the memory card.

You may be able to go into the camera's menu and tell it not to do that.

porthole

Retired
The files, the newest overwrites the oldest and continues on - unless the file attribute is locked, then it is supposed to skip over the locked file.

I had locked files from over a year ago on the card, but was missing all the locked files for about a 6 month period.

In the future, now knowing this shortcoming, I will not wait for months at a time to download the saved videos.