Dave & Julie's Alaska Adventure

merlinb

Retired
Hi Dave & Julie, I have been following your adventure daily since you left Elkhart. What an amazing trip! I hope I can do the same thing in the not too distant future. Really enjoy your descriptions of your travels and the pictures are just awesome; hope you will keep them coming. I was wondering why you did not take the ferry from Haines to Skagway instead of driving all the way around through Whitehorse. Was there a particular reason for doing that? Thanks for allowing all of us to tag along and thanks for taking the time to do these postings and uploading all of the pictures. Wishing you continued safe travels.

davebennington

Hi Dave & Julie, I have been following your adventure daily since you left Elkhart. What an amazing trip! I hope I can do the same thing in the not too distant future. Really enjoy your descriptions of your travels and the pictures are just awesome; hope you will keep them coming. I was wondering why you did not take the ferry from Haines to Skagway instead of driving all the way around through Whitehorse. Was there a particular reason for doing that? Thanks for allowing all of us to tag along and thanks for taking the time to do these postings and uploading all of the pictures. Wishing you continued safe travels.

Merlin

I am happy that you are enjoying the post, I think you will enjoy Alaska.

We did not take the ferry for several reasons; There are two runs to Skagway from Haines one in the morning this one fills fast, the second in the evening at 6 PM and then leaves 8:30, that means you have to do something with your trailer for the day (pay for another day at a campground or sit with it hooked up for hours) and then you have to find a camp ground site once you get to Skagway. The cost for the ferry is based per total length of the truck and trailer and there is additional fee per person. It takes about 5 to 6 hours to drive around but the views are worth it and we wanted to see a few things more in Whitehorse that we missed before. Another reason we went the road route was the cost of fuel and food in Alaska is high, example; fuel in Haines is $4.91 to $4.97 per gallon and I assume Skagway is about the same, food and fuel in Whitehorse is a lot better.

Dave

davebennington

We took a walk around the campground and we have a Sundance and a Cyclone here. Cyclone seems to be a very popular toy hauler up this way.

Dave

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Santha and I received the post card from Valdez that you and Julie sent. Santha said enjoy the pictures because it will not
happen for us. You two need to work on Her. Glad you and Julie are having fun. Randy, Santha and the poodles.

davebennington

Randy,

You need to tell her that it is really nice up here, the only place that we found the bugs to be really bad was Denali and when you are cleaning fish. It has been cool a jacket or a sweater feels good during the day and evening unless you are in the sun then it is warm.

We were talking the other day and we are glad we are not in the "lower 48" now with all the heat you are having.

Once again thank you for trading us for the Milepost book, Julie uses it all the time for what is happening along the way.

Dave & Julie

davebennington

8-11-2011 Thursday

Yesterday we went to the fish ladder again to check if the salmon had made it to Whitehorse yet, some have but not the mass that they have in Valdez. The salmon that come to Whitehorse have to travel about 2500 miles before they get to the fish ladder and continue further upstream.

We then went to the Yukon Archives and the Yukon Arts Centre both are interesting places to visit. We stopped by the train depot to check on the train schedules to Skagway and a with quick check on the weather told us we should wait for the weather to clear up some before going, for once we guessed right as it is raining today with low viability.

A bit of excitement in the park yesterday some poor guy pulling a fiver cut the entrance a little too close and slipped into the ditch laying his trailer over a good ways. They finally pulled it out last night without too much damage. Not a good way to spend a vacation.

Dave

Last edited:

davebennington

8-11-2011 Thursday Update

It does not look like we are going to make it to Skagway, it is raining hard and the weather forecast for the next 3 to 5 days is more rain. Normally we would wait it out or go some place else and come back but we are headed south to the Cassiar Highway.

Today we went to Whitehorse and visited the Transportation museum, the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre, the grocery store to stock up on supplies, and fuel up the truck. It is our understanding that stores along the Cassiar Highway are far and few between.

Now a little insight to Whitehorse shopping there is a supermarket that is a real ripoff they want a dollar to use a shopping cart, 5 cents for a plastic bag. So if you ever come here go shop at the Walmart. Now if you want a nice meal there are 2 places I would recommend first one for fish and chips Klondike Corner, and for a nice dinner Earl's restaurant.

Tomorrow we head for Watson Lake for an overnight before heading down the Cassiar.

Dave

Last edited:

Mels Musty Music

Dave & Julie

I too have been enjoying your travels. Brings back many memories of a similiar trip we took in 2002. See you are going back to Watson Lake and would like to suggest, if you haven't done so already, stopping at Dawson Peaks Resort, which is about 7 miles (KM's ?) east of Teslin at KM 1232. David Hett and Carolyn Allen are the owners and two nicer people you'll never meet. Have a piece of Carolyn's rhubarb pie for a real treat and ask Dave to tell you about Alaskan author Sue Henry's books.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

Hank

davebennington

8-13-2011 Saturday

We did not have internet hookup yesterday, they wanted $10.00 per night for internet. so today I will try catch up. We stayed at Watson Lake, at a campground called Baby Nugget RV Park. Nothing special I would not stay there again. $10.00 a night, you have to be putting me on!!!!

We are on the Cassiar Highway, there is a little wide spot in the road called Iskut, BC this campground is called Mountain Shadow, Very remote but nice, there is a pretty lake just across the meadow. I have included a couple of pictures of their home/office. They are so remote they very limited WIFi so I will not up load pictures until later.
It is getting cold up here, the lady in the office told me that it was down to 28 degrees this morning.

While traveling down the highway we passed through an area that had a big forest fire this area had a lot of fire damage and it went on for miles and miles (see Pictures). Down the road further we stopped at a place called Jade Town they quarry Jade here and make all kinds of figurines, a place that you can spend a big chunk of money if you want.

We stopped for lunch by a lake that was so calm and clear you could see the reflection of the clouds and trees (see pictures), some lucky person has a cabin on the lake I tried to get it in the picture.

Later we saw a ringed tailed fox in the road. Travel on the road is slow because of the condition, lots of frost heaves and bumps. We only made 200 miles today that is how bad the road is.

The good news is it has finally stopped raining and the sun is out, blue skies, really nice again.

We will decide tomorrow if we will stop at Hyder, Alaska or keep going on to the border. When we get to a better WIFI connection I will update everything.

One last thing before I go to bed, The leaves on some of the trees are starting to change (see pictures). Maybe it is time to head home where it is warm.

Dave

Attachments

• DSC03403.JPG
    DSC03403.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03407.JPG
    DSC03407.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03408.jpg
    DSC03408.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03384.JPG
    DSC03384.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Dave - what fun. If you look in your rear mirror, you might see Judy & Jerry Winkle and their Landmark. She emailed me today and said they will be in Hyder on Monday. They just finished a caravan of Alaska and will be heading to Vancover, down the coast to CA to hit I-40 and then back to TN.
Travel safely.

jjwink

Hi again, We are trailing behind you. We drove Top of the World highway on Wednesday, Tok to Dawson City. It was raining when we left Tok and got to Chicken. From Chicken Top of the World was very muddy , foggy and cold. Not at all good in the rain. We slipped around a couple of times but made it to Dawson City. We loved Dawson, such a unique place with the dirt streets, boardwalks and old homes and buildings. From Dawson City we drove to Whitehorse yesterday. We will be here until Monday am when we will go to Watson Lake for a night and then hit the Cassiar. Even with its frost heaves it won't be close to TOW!! Look forward to comparing notes and photos when we get together again.

davebennington

Dave & Julie

I too have been enjoying your travels. Brings back many memories of a similiar trip we took in 2002. See you are going back to Watson Lake and would like to suggest, if you haven't done so already, stopping at Dawson Peaks Resort, which is about 7 miles (KM's ?) east of Teslin at KM 1232. David Hett and Carolyn Allen are the owners and two nicer people you'll never meet. Have a piece of Carolyn's rhubarb pie for a real treat and ask Dave to tell you about Alaskan author Sue Henry's books.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

Hank

Hank,

We did stop by Dawson Peaks Resort and we did have rhubarb pie, for desert. We had also had chili and sandwiches. You are correct they are very nice folks.

Dave

davebennington

JJwink,

If you need to wash your rig and you are staying at Hi-Country campground they have the best price around for rig washing.

I would not stay at Baby Nugget Campground in Watson Lake. A bit pricey in my opinion. No sewer, but they do have a dump station. I think it is worth going into Watson Lake and staying at the downtown RV park, it is only 10 to 12 miles away from the Cassiar Highway and you can get fuel cheaper there. Once you are on the Cassiar it can be a bit rough in spots nothing like the TOW but still rough. They are working on the road so expect to wait for a pilot car.

Dave

Paul & Nan

We came through the fire area last year, following a pilot car as the fire was still burning in places. Hope you stop in Hyder and go up to the National Forest area, the bears are so much fun to see when they are fishing. Enjoying reliving our trip last year. Nan

dieselsweetheart

Hi Dave, Julie and fellow Alaskans....Dave and Nona (Truknutt and the Mrs), Jim and myself are on the land leg of our AK cruisetour. We are currently in Talkeetna and there is a Bighorn in the RV park here. We have so far seen 2 Cyclones and now 3 BH's on our land travels in the state! Tomorrow we travel into Denali and hoping we can see Mt McKinley. Today we were able to see the tip of the mountain. We are on Day 9 of our 18 day adventure!

Happy trails!!

davebennington

8-14-2011 Sunday

We are now in Hyder, Alaska. The campground if that is what you want to call it is Camp Run-A-Muck. I cannot believe this place the roads are dirt and the craters are so big I was afraid that the truck and trailer would disappear never to be seen again, they do not do any repairs at all. I believe the only time they grade the roads is when it snows and maybe not then. The rumor is that they use the potholes as a means of speed control. Some who say this place is unique I would say it is the arm pit of the world, but at least arm pits are warm.

The only redeeming value is the Salmon Glacier, what a beautiful place, as is all the land and scenery around it.

I cannot hardly remember when I have been on WIFI that runs this slow, maybe dial up using 300 baud modem, I could write the post out in long hand and mail it to each of you and it would be faster!!!!!.

This means that I will have to wait yet another day before posting pictures from Iskut, as well as the pictures of the glacier and the local bears.

Tomorrow we head for Hazelton, BC it will be a short run from here, maybe 3 hours at the most we plan on being there a couple of days. Hopefully we will have good WIFI there.

Dave

Attachments

• DSC03455.JPG
    DSC03455.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03462.JPG
    DSC03462.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03467.JPG
    DSC03467.JPG
    586.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC03481.JPG
    DSC03481.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03487.JPG
    DSC03487.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03510.jpg
    DSC03510.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC03560.JPG
    DSC03560.JPG
    604 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03609.JPG
    DSC03609.JPG
    675.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03662.JPG
    DSC03662.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03663.JPG
    DSC03663.JPG
    715.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC03669.JPG
    DSC03669.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Hunter

Newby
Your post and pictures are so interesting and informative. We are hoping to go to Alaska either 2012 or 2013. Thanks for sharing, we are enjoying it immensely.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave do you have a spreadsheet with all the info that you have seen, and places that you have stayed? It would really be nice if you would post it. You are having such a great time, we would like to fallow along and maybe do some or all of what you have done.

davebennington

Dave do you have a spreadsheet with all the info that you have seen, and places that you have stayed? It would really be nice if you would post it. You are having such a great time, we would like to fallow along and maybe do some or all of what you have done.

We are planning to post a complete spreadsheet with all expenses that are associated with the Alaska adventure.

Julie updates the spreadsheet everyday with the expenses for that day, she is updating it now as I am writing this reply.

The final post will be when we arrive home.

Dave