Dave & Julie's Alaska Adventure

davebennington

9-1-2011 Thursday

We are now in Memphis,TN, at a campground call Travelers rest. Nothing special execpt it has 2 of the requirements for a campground 1 a train runs by every now and 2 it is near a stream or river. If it had a highway close by it would be perfect.

We will be here a few days while we visit Julie's relatives.

Dave

jimtoo

Thank you, I am happy you enjoyed them, our adventure is almost over.
:(

Dave

No Dave,,, your Alaska Adventure will never be over. You and Julie have had a wonderful experience and you will remember and talk about this adventure for the rest of your lives. You and Julie have done a great job of picture taking and documenting your once in a life time adventure and posting it so that we could enjoy your travels almost as much as you.

Thank You for your time and great job of documenting your travels.

Jim and Bette

jagiv

Jimtoo hit the nail on the head, as he often does.

We have enjoyed all of your posts and pictures, particularly since we are making the trip from NY to Alaska next summer. We have decided to convoy with Alaska Discovery Tours for the bulk of our time in Alaska, but will be using notes from your blog for the extras that we will do after the tour.

Thanks, again, for all of your heroic efforts to share your great adventure with the rest of us.

Safe travels on your last leg of the journey.

John

loafer

Hey Dave and Julie
Thanks sooooo much for sharing your journey with all of us.As Jim says you will always remember your time spent away seeing new things and meeting new people.Thats the RV lifestyle that you are a part of.
Happy trails
Bill

davebennington

9-4-2011 Sunday

Thanks to all of you for your postings. There is a possibility that we could go back to Alaska next year after the National Rally in Gillette, WY. Eric and Dorothy van Opstal (Flying Dutchman) wanted to go this year but could not make it do to other commitments. We almost promised that if they wanted to go next year after the rally we would consider it. Oh well we will see how plans work out,

Dave

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Wow, talking about next year already, we will see how that transpires ... but we can always dream, right? Right now we still need to finish with Maryland, North Carolina, Georgia/Florida, and South Carolina. What a great job you have both done documenting your Alaskan adventure. So many of us followed your every move with each posting, and the pictures are absolutely fantastic. Have a safe travel home, and we look forward to seeing you both real soon.

davebennington

9-7-2011 Wednesday

We are on final approach to Bracey, VA. We are in Statesville, NC at a KOA. Should be home tomorrow early afternoon. It has been fun. Julie is working on the spread sheet of expenses and totals for the entire trip.

Dave

floridarandy

Dave & Julie -

I know we have all truly enjoyed following along with you on your trip. Its a trip many of us dream of doing and your chronicle will help all us in planning our trip. Special thanks to Julie for the effort of recording expenses. I hopw you'll also post total mileage for the trip as the $/mile will be interesting when all dollars are included.

After you get home I'll be interested to know how it feels after returning from a long trip. You've previously posted that Julie is looking forward to getting home and I understand that. But I'm curious if there's a "longing to get back on the road" that occurs once you're back in your "routine". Others may share my feeling that it will seem strange not to look for Dave & Julie's Alaska Adventure as part of my daily routine. Heaven knows its been a respite from watching the lunacy of politics and the stock market!

Now...if you could plan another adventure sometime in 2012 to get us through the Presidential election.

Save travels home....and as Bob Hope would have crooned....thanks for the memories.

Randy and Karen

merlinb

Retired
Dave and Julie-

Absolutely echo what Randy & Karen said. Thanks for allowing us to ride along on your trip. And a BIG thanks for the time and effort you put into these postings and pictures. Welcome back to VA; hope Bracey is not too soggy from Irene & Lee.

Welcome home.

jjwink

We have enjoyed your posts since we were making the same trip. Wish we were as close to home as you. We are in Elkhart getting some warranty work done at Capital RV Service. Unfortunately some of the repairs involve ordering replacement parts and they won't be here till Tues. am. So we are stuck in Elkhart. Would be fun if we hadn't been here 3 of the past 5 years.

davebennington

9-8-2011 Thursday

Randy,Karen and Merlin, and all others who have followed the adventure.

There is no damage here from any storm. YES it is good to be home. I will say there is a part of me misses the road, I really miss Alaska it was so different than any place else that
we have been to. And I miss meeting and making new friends along the way. If we can get Eric and Dorothy to go next year maybe we can do another trip log.

When we were unloading the trailer I said to Julie this is your last chance before we unload too much "do you want to go back to Alaska". She gave me one of those "wife" looks and shook her head and said not right now!!!!

I will say it was fun and quite an adventure, we saw and did things I never thought I would ever do or see. So now back to the humdrum everyday life, you know, go to work (if I had a job), mow the lawn, trim the hedge, shovel snow, .... ETC...ETC.

Julie is working of the final Excel spread sheet of all the expenses that we had during the trip, she will post it for all to examine and see just what a trip can cost. I on the other hand have to figure out how I am going to pay for over 30 rolls of film developing, then I will be able to relive the adventure again. I see a new digital camera in my future.

All that said we did not have any problems with the trailer or truck, no flat tires no chipped windshield,no broken springs, no frame cracks, not to bad for a 6 year old "classic Heartland trailer", just a lot of Canadian and Alaska dirt and the finest bug collection I have ever seen on the front of a trailer.

Just an observation from the drivers seat people who have problems on the road drive too fast, pulling a trailer 70 miles per or greater is asking for trouble.

Dave

Last edited:

watchthebox

Just read your thread. I enjoyed hearing of your adventures and seeing the great pictures. I will have to put that on my list of things to do when I have more time. Thanks for sharing. Welcome home!

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
For those of you who are considering a trip to Alaska here are our expenses for our trip. This might help if you plan to go but are undecided whether to take a cruise, travel with a caravan or travel on your own. We enjoyed traveling alone because of the total freedom it allowed, but it is not for everyone. Mileposts (thank you Randy and Santha) and a camping in Alaska book are very useful. We did not have a “plan” other than the direction we were going to travel and some things we wanted to do. FYI, I am a type-A personality, but Alaska is the Last Frontier, and I wanted to enjoy it without deadlines.

Our biggest expense was, of course, fuel. We traveled a total of 14,740 miles from Bracey, VA and back. We averaged 10.9 miles to the gallon (diesel). We spent $5,550 on fuel. Be sure to empty out all your rally gear, your awning lights, your 65 person grill. You won’t need them. You are going to be on the road and sightseeing; not sitting in a campground. Get that rig as light as you can.

The next largest expense was excursions and museums, etc. We spent $3,460, but this includes the flight to Katmai National Park to walk among the bears, which was $1,300 (and worth every penny, if you’re into that sort of thing). Most trips/excursions run $200 to $500 for two people. These include whale watching trips, fishing, Denali, riverboat cruises, etc. Plane rides can be more expensive, but, my, oh my, the view. These excursions really are part of the Alaskan experience. If you go on a caravan-type of trip some of them are included, but not the most expensive trips.

Next is camping fees. We camped from June 10 to September 8 and it cost us $2,690, excluding the 7 nights we spent at the national rally in Elkhart. Some of this would be covered by the caravan price if you went on a caravan. We did not make reservations, other than in Seward on a weekend because it’s a weekend getaway for Anchorage. We stayed in private campgrounds. There are many nice provincial parks in Canada, but we did not stay in any of them. I like my conveniences. Be sure to have at least a 30 amp converter. Campgrounds have 10, 15, 20 and 30 amp sites. There are very few 50 amp.

We spent $1,800 on eating at restaurants. Entrees start around $25 per person and it didn’t seem to be that much more in upscale restaurants. Adult beverages are almost double what you would pay in the lower 48.

We spent $1,360 on grocery store items. My suggestion would be to take whatever staples you can for the amount of time you will be on the road and only buy perishables. Be sure to take enough personal care products for the entire trip, as well as whatever you use to wash clothes. Having said that: I always buy stuff on the road that I can’t find at home. For me, it’s usually products from the UK.

We spent $1,420 on souvenirs, dog sitting, $ exchange fees. Next time I will take a credit card that does not charge you a transaction fee when you purchase items in a foreign country. Live and learn!

We spent about $600 on vehicle maintenance, including the rig. That includes oil change/filters and some little gizmos for the trailer.

If you have any questions, ask away. BTW, we ARE planning on going again. Plane and rail sounds fun!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have really enjoyed the trip Julie and Dave, even though I never left my home.

Thank you for being so detailed in your posts. Some day-maybe we can follow your footsteps.