Deadbolt issue

jesscmoore

Hi all.

I have a 2013 North Trail and am having a new issue with the deadbolt. Upon inserting the key, I can spin the lock over and over with the bolt not engaging. This has happened both with unlocking and locking the bolt.

It has usually engaged and gone be gone back to working order for a time or two then goes back to spinning.

The red red latch on the inside works fine and is not effected by the spinning lock. Assuming I need to get a new lock, and can always lock the deadbolt from the inside and use the other entrance, but would appreciate any pro-tips if they’re out there.

jimtoo

Hi jesscmoore,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

You might take the lock unit apart and check,, but I "think" :) you might find a screw on the end of the lock cylinder loose. Like I said "thinking" and it's in an old brain. Let us know what you find.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

jesscmoore

Thanks Jim! I’ll take a look in the light tomorrow. I also saw a thread about a lock recall and will look into that. Purchased my trailer last year used (almost made it to my year mark as a full-timer!) and will see what info I can find about whether the previous owner had replaced.

Happy Travels!

donr827

I would just replace it before the lock fails completely and locks you out. Easy job and not too expensive.
Don

jesscmoore

Thanks Don, that will be the next step!

Jim - that tip worked and it tightened up indeed! That'll do till I get it replaced.

Thanks to you both.

Jess

jimtoo

Maybe should have suggested a little locktight on the screw. That would keep it from getting loose again maye. But was not "thinking" deep enough. :)

SO,,,, my "thinking" did work,,, I'll award myself a cool one or something. :rolleyes:

Jim M

pegmikef

When mine did that on my Big Horn (2014 made in 2013), it was still under warranty and Heartland just sent me a whole new lock. I don't know if it was part of the recalled ones. If Jimtoo's fix doesn't work you might give customer service a call to see if it was recalled as it is about the same time frame as mine was.