Dealer Service Experiences

JanAndBill

Our dealer experience has been really good for the most part. They've been helpful and attentive. However I've noticed a serious lack of knowledge regarding the specific functions of our 2013-3260EL. Simple things as to operation, and how things are supposed to work on the unit, I've found I know more about then the person doing the service. I realize that a lot of things are "universal" in scope, and that the dealer handles many different brands, but simple things like the operation of the LP regulator, the lights, the slide isolator valves, seems they are clueless. Again I'm not critical of the dealer, because overall we've been pleased. Just curious if this is an isolated case or if others have noticed their dealers may not be as brand specific knowledgeable as they could be?

dave10a

All I can say is don't buy from Camping World. Their sales folks are friendly and many of their service folks are less friendly and in general not competent. Also they seem to be more expensive and put the dollar ahead of customers. It is a good thing their are more worthy competition like Lazy Days and PPL. Corporate Camping World needs to take a hard look at how all of their franchises are managed.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
All I can say is don't buy from Camping World. Their sales folks are friendly and many of their service folks are less friendly and in general not competent. Also they seem to be more expensive and put the dollar ahead of customers. It is a good thing their are more worthy competition like Lazy Days and PPL. Corporate Camping World needs to take a hard look at how all of their franchises are managed.

Must be a personal thing. We bought our TT in June of last year. Have a few things that needed to be fixed so took it back to Camping World were we bought it and had everything fixed just fine. Was taking with one of the fellows that did the work on our TT and he was very knowledgeable with Heartland products. Must be a location thing not all.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
All I can say is don't buy from Camping World. Their sales folks are friendly and many of their service folks are less friendly and in general not competent. Also they seem to be more expensive and put the dollar ahead of customers. It is a good thing their are more worthy competition like Lazy Days and PPL. Corporate Camping World needs to take a hard look at how all of their franchises are managed.[/QUOTE

100% agree with the above statement.^
I've had good luck with the smaller Mom and Pop dealers who really care to help.

MTPockets

Well, it is all about management....... , but I'll have to say my Camping World experience was very good when I had my axle bearings re-lubed and the Neverfail bushings installed at a fair price. They were expedient, friendly, and the mechanic very knowledgeable....

TeJay

From a retired automotive instructors perspective here is perhaps part of the reason. Before 1980 (that's when all vehicles made in and for the US marked were computer controlled) The technical level of things was just about stationary. Very little changed over the years and just about anybody could work on vehicles. Since then there has been an explosion in the technical areas of mechanics. The national statistics on HS grads is this. Of the 100% who annually graduate 40% attend college and 20% finish. Of all the jobs available (2000 National Dept of Labor stats) 20% of jobs require a college degree and 60% require a technical education. EVERYBODY, EVERYBODY wants little Suzy and Johnny to go to college even though there won't be enough jobs available and yet look at the technical jobs available. Most HS's are closing down their technical programs when the teachers retire. They are really stupid, stupid, stupid. Again they, and their parents want all kids to go to college. Soooooo there is a great percentage of technical jobs that go unfilled every year and it's getting worse. Nobody but nobody is pushing for technical education. I even told our top people about the statistics and it was like a blonde joke and they didn't get it. Todays automotive jobs require every bit of the same intelligence, skill, determination, problem solving skills, mechanical aptitude and continuous training as almost any type of college curriculum offering of today except for some of the very top areas. Obviously there are some areas of the college curriculum that are very difficult and way above being an automotive technician but those areas and jobs are for just the cream of the crop.
TeJay

JanAndBill

There have been some good points made and I agree with a lot of the comments here, but it just seems that more and more car dealers, RV dealers, boat dealers whatever don't really understand or know the products they are selling. I guess this is a sore point with me primarily because I come from a sales background, and always prided myself on knowing everything about not only my product but my competition as well. Granted today's vehicles are more complex, but that's no excuse for not knowing your product both from a sales and service standpoint. For example I've had sales people who didn't have a clue as to the tow capacity of the truck they were trying to sell me, or other pertinent performance data. I've had service people for both RV's and vehicles, not be knowledgeable in their product, and give me that blank look when I ask a question.

kowAlski631

For the past 20 years, I've worked with our area's automobile on HR and benefit items. I know that most auto dealers have in place required ongoing training for not only the technicians, but also the sales force. People who take pride & are interested in providing good service will not just attend the training, but learn from it. All an employer can do is make training available and required - they cannot make a person learn. However, the ones who don't learn seldom stay at any one dealership long. That's why when I go in to make a purchase of or have service done on a car, an RV, or any other similar product, I ask how long the sales or technician has been with the company and in the business.

Just my thoughts, Martha

JanAndBill

" People who take pride & are interested in providing good service will not just attend the training, but learn from it. "

That's what missing. Be it the fault of the individual, or the dealership. One of the previous comments believed the small mom and pop dealerships were better at it, which could be because the person in front of the customer has a vested interest in the success of the business. However not all mom and pop operations are good and not all large dealers are bad. As an outsider looking in, it seems though that a lot of the large dealers out there are more interested in "quotas' than meeting the customers needs with the right product.

TeJay

Very interesting comments. It's been mentioned that people can not be made to care, or to have pride in what they do or to do it because it's the right thing to do. Those character traits are learned by the example made in the home/church and it should be enforced in the schools but it is not. Today's schools are mostly concerned about sports and keeping the parents happy. If we were hard on the kids and demanded perfection we were told not to hurt their self esteem. When I insisted that students complete all assignments on time and at a minimum standard I was the one that was wrong. I was the one taken to task by the parents and principals. We have raised several generations of kids who don't have to work for much. Are not told when they perform below even the modest of minimal standards. We are seeing the results of those minimal standards in the repair industry. Parents are NEVER. NEVER, NEVER NEVER told by teachers or principals that it might do them some good to read a few books on raising a child because what they have done to date has not worked. Then when we try to show, explain and expect something better we are the ones who get into trouble.

I had very simple rules in my class. All assignments will be turned in on time and complete. If they were late or incomplete they received no credit with no chance of making it up. Most every job or boss in the world of work operates with guidelines very similar to those. Why not prepare kids while they are in school. Here's one of my favorite stories that I told all kids. If you hire me to rotate your four tires will you be happy/satisfied if I get 80% of the lugs nuts back on and torqued? Maybe you'd be really happy if I got 90% installed correctly?? Maybe just maybe you might accept no less than 100% of the lug nuts installed with the correct torque. Why should the regular class room standards be any different?????? It can be done and I know it can be done but it would take some real work.

Why is it that some industries will give a 50 cent an hour bonus if a worker does not miss a days work in a pay period????? I thought we were expected to show up for the regular wage. I still ask myself the question: Why does every kids on the team have to get a metal for just showing up??? I know we don't want to hurt their feelings.
JMTCW
TeJay

sengli

I agree, we just purchased our BH3260 last october. From a big time, high volume dealer. Our PDI was a huge dissappointment. I knew more specifics about our new coach than the service supervisor who was doing our PDI inspection with us. He knew nothing about the yetti package, and any operative points about it. Nothing about the remotes function, or the how the electric fireplace was to be operated. They basically washed the exterior, and vacummed the inside out, and delivered it. I pointed out several cosmetic flaws they addressed, but they were just in a hurry to get us in, and out of there. Granted it was a new floorplan, but they had the coach for three weeks before we took delivery, and they didn't go thru anything prior to us getting it. You could just tell.

TeJay

I'll return to my original observation. After 35 years in the classroom, 20 times winning state competitions and attending national competitions it is my observation that the majority of the instructors who returned time after time at these gatherings were X military. The military taught respect, integrity, discipline, and complete every task to the best of your ability. These qualities will go a long way in assisting an individual in learning how to deal with customers and the technical aspect of mechanical repair service. Even today when you encounter a good individual they had a mentor, parent or somebody who was an example to them.
JMTCW
TeJay

Westwind

It starts in the beginning, if you had involved parents who had principles, passed them on to you and tried to teach you to do the best job you could in everything you did it.
I take my truck to a GMC dealership that is run unbelievably well. I've only had maintenance work done there, so I can't speak to repairs but auto dealerships are much different then RV dealerships - the manufacturers have little to do with operations. In RV dealerships it's all on the owners/managers to determine the way things are done.

dave10a

I guess everyone has their theories about "good service" so I'll add mine. It is management that is most important. Management selects the people and enforces the expectations and demands of performance. Camping World is a good example. Some franchises are run well because of local management and some are not run well and are nothing but cash registers. It is up to the corporate Camping World to manage their franchises and I simply don't think they do or even care as long as they get their money of the top. A good indicator is they do not survey their customers on a routine bases. Camping World does not follow up on sales or service which speaks volumes of their desire lack of concern. They get what they inspect Camping World charges top dollar for their stuff and service so their is no reason for not doing a good and consistent good work. The only thing I like about their operation is they offer some level of convenience for stuff when I am in a bind-- otherwise I purchase from the Internet. When I am ready to trade my present trailer for another one I certainly will look else where than Camping World unless they show how they will provide competent service.

JanAndBill

auto dealerships are much different then RV dealerships - the manufacturers have little to do with operations. In RV dealerships it's all on the owners/managers to determine the way things are done.

I've wondered if this might be the case. If RV manufacturers were smart it wouldn't be, because no matter how good of a product they build, the customers first and likely only contact is going to be with a dealer. If that contact is not pleasant they'll likely come away with a less than satisfactory opion on the manufacturer as well. I've actually had a couple of RV Dealer service people make derogatory comments about the quality of the brands their dealerships sold. Something I've never seen at an auto dealership.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I know that this threat was started for a different reason, but I just wanted to put the praises and recommendations out there for any of the HOC members in Washington State for the Fife RV Dealerships here on the west side of the state. They have been nothing but awesome for us. In fact, we had several repairs that needed to be done to our BH3585RL and were having issues (becuase of my funky work schedule) on getting it up to the Gig Harbor repair facility. James, the service manager for Fife RV used one of their contract driver's to drive the 45 miles to my house, pick up our fiver and take it up to the repair facility at no charge! They get things done right the first time and have very knowlegable technicians. I can't give big enough praises for the sales staff, service staff and management at Fife RV in Washington!

Rod Ditrich