Dealers are NUTS!!!

sidney dreyfus

Creeper

Before we bought our Bighorn we researched as many dealers as we could comparing the deals. It took some time but considering the size of the investment it was well worth it. Everyone has their own preferences so you really can't compare prices with other people unless you come up with someone that got the exact year, model and options. The forum is great for sharing ideas and problems. People recommmend certain dealers all the time. I feel that moderating the forum keeps it constructive and focused. Often times people with problems are given help as to where to go with their problems. And after having said this, we can always private message or email anyone about matters that are best discussed in private.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Let me say something about this issue. I think that Jim's policy of not posting the actual pricing on a trailer is reasonable. Many times, people want to go to a dealer that they know and have an established relationship with, so they get a better price than someone that just walks in off the street. Some people are just better at haggling over the price and are willing to beat a dealer down to make a sale. I'd rather see my dealer make a reasonable profit and be able to stay in business to take care of me in the future than to give them a few dollars over their cost and have them go broke. Remember there are overhead costs that we don't always see and take into consideration, not just a greedy sales person making a payment on his Mercedes.

Some dealers put out a "low ball" price on their product that gets people interested in buying from them, then they pull the old "bait and switch" which substantially raises the prices. "You want wheels and tires with that trailer, don't you? It will only be a little higher." Most of these dealers sell only on purchase orders and don't carry much in stock, so there is no "floor plan" cost for him. He gets his check from you for payment almost as soon as the trailer hits his lot.

Personally I found a dealer about 50 miles away from me that gave me a decent price that I could only beat by a few hundred dollars if I wanted to drive a thousand miles to get it. I'm not sure that much savings is worth my taking a week of vacation.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For what it's worth, not being able to discuss pricing on the forum really doesn't matter to me. I found the best price I could (which was e-bay Lakeshore RV) and took it to my local dealer. We sat down and he put the dealers MSRP price list in front of me and said check off the options you want. I even had a trade in, a 2004 Jay Flight. He made me a deal I couldn't pass up. We became Heartland owners shortly thereafter. NO REGRETS either. I think posting prices we paid undermines the dealers ability to make a decent profit but there are some dealers that want to make a killing at your expense. It's the buyers decision ultimately how much he's willing to pay. I think an informed buyer shoud be able to get a good deal. That's my nickel!

Princess Kathleen

As all have said, shop around...I went from Louisiana to Knoxville Tn to purchase our Landmark. Had a great dealer which gave us the Luv Shak at a very good price. Plus, we had a nice vacation and very cold weather.