Death Valley: Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells RV areas???

L8APXER

For those that have been to one or both, which one is/was better for you? We are going in Feb, with the new LM KL, and I have not yet outfitted her completely for dry camping/boondocking. So we are looking at both Furnace creek and stovepipe wells as they both advertise full hookups and take reservations. I do realize that "full" hookups may be somewhat compromised (30a vs 50a etc), but having something will be better than the alternative at this point.
Your thoughts and insights are appreciated.

back2nature

We stayed 3 nights in Furnace Creek last December. We did drive in to the Stovepipe Wells place with just our truck to look it over. Yeah, it has electric, but you're way on the north end, just dirt, no trees. We liked Furnace Creek NPS campground. Lots of space, has some trees there, so it's pretty there (for Death Valley) and good views. It's centrally located to the General Store and Visitor's Center. Another one on the east side of the highway, Sunset Camp, and Texas Spring up the hill on the east, we didn't like as much. Sunset Camp if just flat dirt, no trees. Texas Springs has many smaller sites and it's way up the hill. When we go back, it will be Furnace Creek again. No hookups, but water faucets here and there, and restrooms. Coming from somewhere else, we actually were low on water. My husband just got a couple of gallon jugs and went and filled about 30 gals. in to our fresh water tank, by going back and forth from the rv to the water faucet. Next time we will fill up first, but this was an unscheduled 3-night stop on the way home of Vegas. We choose the row of sites on the east, instead of the trees for the view, but anywhere is good.

While typing this, I went back and re-read your post and I think you are talking about the Furnace Creek Ranch Inn & Resort Camping (near the General Store). We drove through that too. Here is a quote from a reviewer on www.rvparkreviews.com - "As noted in the prior reviews this is not a typical RV park. The primary purpose of this facility is to provide RV/camper space for the Furnace Creek Inn employees, but they also rent out a few spaces to RVers".We didn't see any empty spots there. We did not like the place. It's buried in amongst full time trailers. Death Valley is so pretty, that's not where we would want to be. We would choose to dry camp than be packed in there. Few pics below.

IMAG0207.jpgIMAG0196.jpgIMAG0197.jpgIMG_4556.jpg