Def usage ?

oldfitter

What is normal usage of DEF. In my 2015 Ram while towing it seems like you can watch the gauge go down. I only have 2800 miles on it so I am hoping that it goes down. Otherwise I am sorry I traded my 2012 in on this truck. What I have is the 2015 Ram 3500 DRW. Aisin tranny, 3.73 gears, rear leveling air suspension, cargo box camera, Longhorn Laramie. I do love the truck but not that DEF crap.

pegmikef

I don't know about Dodge, but DEF consumption for my Ford is proportionate to the amount of fuel used. So, it makes sense that you will be using more when you are towing. I have never really tracked it, but I'd guess maybe a gallon or a little less per 1,000 towing miles and a little less when not towing.

Mburtsvt

What is normal usage of DEF. In my 2015 Ram while towing it seems like you can watch the gauge go down. I only have 2800 miles on it so I am hoping that it goes down. Otherwise I am sorry I traded my 2012 in on this truck. What I have is the 2015 Ram 3500 DRW. Aisin tranny, 3.73 gears, rear leveling air suspension, cargo box camera, Longhorn Laramie. I do love the truck but not that DEF crap.

The best estimate you can use is that DEF will be used up at a rate of around 2-4% per gallon of diesel fuel. Now it becomes a math problem. So for every 100 gallons of diesel - you will use 2 - 4 gallons of DEF.

Towing will use DEF faster since your milage goes down.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our 2014 Ram seems like it did the same thing when it was new in that it was using more def than diesel fluid. Now that it's got over 20K miles, things have settled down. Normal driving without the 5th wheel, we can go for over 6 months without adding. Pulling the LM, we have to add def about every other fill-up on heavy pulling and about every 3rd fill-up on flat ground pulling. Note: we have an extra tank in the bed so we put in right at 100 gallons per fill-up.

GOTTOYS

My truck is a Chevrolet. It uses about 1 gal of DEF every 1,000 miles. The fuel mileage over my 2010 Dodge is a big improvement. More than enough to offset the cost of the DEF. I wouldn't trade back to the Dodge for anything..Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don , mine uses about the same towing. Driving a round town empty or very short towing trips, I have not added any in over 6 months.

BLHFUN

Pulling from Missouri to Utah and back, 2400 miles and I used exactly 2 gallons of DEF. I refilled at home for $2.65 a gallon. DEF cost for the trip $5.30. 3:73 gears on a dually Ford F-350.

now let's discuss Fuel mileage..... 6.8 MPG. YUCK!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My 2016 Ram has 1700 miles on the truck and all but 500 under tow. I used only 1/4 tank on the DEF gauge and the manual says it is a 5 gallon tank. Since it wasn't full when I took delivery of it a few weeks ago, I am not sure of the exact amount. I now have it full for a base line to get an exact number. But I feel it wasn't that big of a deal for the amount used vs miles so far.

AAdams

We have used 776.25 gallons of fuel going 8034 miles (3084 miles towing), used 9.93 gallons of DEF in or '14 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7L / Aisin / 4.10

Kbvols

We have used 776.25 gallons of fuel going 8034 miles (3084 miles towing), used 9.93 gallons of DEF in or '14 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7L / Aisin / 4.10

Surely your decimal point on fuel gallons is in the wrong place as that is just slightly over 1 mile per gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hoefler

In our 2014, when new, 1000-1100 miles to 5 gallons towing the Landmark. Towing around home 6500 lb trailer 2500-2700 miles to 5 gallon 20,000 on the clock.

scottie

yes that sounds about right,i was wondering my self i got this 2014 6.7 f350 didn't know how far i could go on def.thanks for the heads up.up north in canada hard to get info:glad i jioned heartland.