Defective Tail light

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The top left LED tail light on the rear of our 2013 Landmark San Antonio has partly quit working. Since I am still in warranty I thought I would be able to get it replaced under warranty without taking it to the dealer. I contacted the selling dealer and they wanted a photo of the tail light and they would order it from Heartland and then I would bring the coach in for replacement. Since I am 100 miles from the dealer I decided to order it myself directly from Heartland and have it shipped to my house where I could replace it myself. Of course it would be an out of pocket expense. Well since the price of diesel is what it is it was cheaper for me to pay for it myself than tow the unit to the dealer to have it replaced.

Heartland parts was very helpful and with my 10% off for being an owners club member I got it for a reasonable price. I even order two since it is an oddball shape (shaped like a football - not oval or round). Got them yesterday and will replace it today. Thanks Heartland parts for your great service. You guys rule. BTW be sure to have the last 6 of your vin ready when calling.

caissiel

Every time you do something like that you learn something and have a chance prepare for later. I do carry a few spare parts for a rainy day. Always had a spare tail for previous unit because they were hard to find.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Jim... If still under warranty, you shouldn't have to pay for part. (extra part yes). I had same problem and they sent me the tail light and a tube of sealant to my house at no charge. A lot cheaper for them to do that than to deal with a dealer.

donr827

When I had a interior light go fail under warranty they sent me a new light no charge. By doing it yourself you save them a lot of money by not having the dealer charge them for labor and paperwork.
Don

dave10a

It is hard to understand why Heartland charged for a warranty part :confused: Maybe there is some fine print they added when the offered the two year warranty last year. Heartland sent me interior lights and a front clearance light at not charge during my one year warranty.

jmgratz

Don't know why I was charged for the part either but I was told by the customer service rep that if I wanted it covered under warranty I would have to go through the dealer. I explained that I could replace the defective part myself instead of Heartland paying the dealer for labor to install it and that didn't seem to matter. So I just sucked it up and paid the $35.00 for the part.

alex00

Don't know why I was charged for the part either but I was told by the customer service rep that if I wanted it covered under warranty I would have to go through the dealer. I explained that I could replace the defective part myself instead of Heartland paying the dealer for labor to install it and that didn't seem to matter. So I just sucked it up and paid the $35.00 for the part.

It would be nice to hear from a Heartland Rep if this is a new policy. One of the deciding factors in choosing Heartland was the ability to have warranty parts sent to me instead of waiting six weeks at a dealer for them to repair a broken light. I will be sorely disappointed if this is policy, and not a new customer service rep that made a mistake.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One of the deciding factors in choosing Heartland was the ability to have warranty parts sent to me instead of waiting six weeks at a dealer for them to repair a broken light.

I have to say that while I am not the happiest camper with our dealership over many of the warranty 'r e p a i r s' that they did (or didn't) . . . my trailer was only there for two - three weeks each time.

And these visits were generally arranged around camp outings.

Still, it would be nice if these things could all be fixed in one visit, although preferably they should be discovered and fixed before we even pick them up.

Luckily, our issues were minor compared to some I've read about around here, but they were still things that should have been made right before we even took delivery of it!

danemayer

It would be nice to hear from a Heartland Rep if this is a new policy. One of the deciding factors in choosing Heartland was the ability to have warranty parts sent to me instead of waiting six weeks at a dealer for them to repair a broken light. I will be sorely disappointed if this is policy, and not a new customer service rep that made a mistake.
Coincidentally, there was another post yesterday from someone who called and was sent parts.

jbeletti

Hey all,

I check with the Director of Service on this and there has been no change in policy. The thought is that Jim Gratz may have dealt with a parts department rep and not a service rep.

JohnD

When I had a interior light go fail under warranty they sent me a new light no charge. By doing it yourself you save them a lot of money by not having the dealer charge them for labor and paperwork.
Don

While I have fixed a bunch of little things myself, not all of us are the best when you put tools in our hands . . .

We all have certain things we are good at . . . and lots of things we are not!

I was a photojournalist most of my professional life . . .

Put a camera in my hands and I'll show you things you've never thought of!

Put a caulking gun in my hands . . . well, at the end of the day, I'll have more caulk on me than what should be on the fix!

jbeletti

While I have fixed a bunch of little things myself, not all of us are the best when you put tools in our hands . . .
We all have certain things we are good at . . . and lots of things we are not!
I was a photojournalist most of my professional life . . .
Put a camera in my hands and I'll show you things you've never thought of!
Put a caulking gun in my hands . . . well, at the end of the day, I'll have more caulk on me than what should be on the fix!

Good one John. This reminds me of one of the coolest aspects of attending rallies... All the knowledge and tools that are there in all the attendees and all of that can be brought to bear on an issue to provide a solution. I really enjoy helping chapter rally attendees solve issues in areas I'm more experience in (electronics / electrical / entertainment / telecommunications). Others are more mechanically inclined and they bring the wrenches and their experience to the party.

It's funny - at some rallies, when an attendee presents with a particular issue, if I know many of the attendees well, I know who to call and ask them to come on over. Fun stuff!

JohnD

Good one John. This reminds me of one of the coolest aspects of attending rallies... All the knowledge and tools that are there in all the attendees and all of that can be brought to bear on an issue to provide a solution. I really enjoy helping chapter rally attendees solve issues in areas I'm more experience in (electronics / electrical / entertainment / telecommunications). Others are more mechanically inclined and they bring the wrenches and their experience to the party.

It's funny - at some rallies, when an attendee presents with a particular issue, if I know many of the attendees well, I know who to call and ask them to come on over. Fun stuff!

I know . . .

Two of my best friends, who both died in the last three years, were mechanically inclined.

When it came to doing anything regarding building, remodeling or fixing things . . . they could do it all!

One was the best drywaller and painter you've ever met . . . the other a very successful architect!

Heck . . . my friend George (the architect) actually once floated a house across a lake on several pontoon boats to save it from demolition . . .

Anyway . . . they both used to laugh when I would ask them for help with the most basic drywall and/or paint jobs, or even a remodeling event . . .

But they both respected me when it came to documenting and archieving jobs, or even photographing their kid's sporting events!

I miss them both . . .

jbeletti

John,

Your friends sound like the kind of friends everyone wants. Sounds like you had a great and mutually fulfilling relationship with them. Sorry they're gone :(

If we haven't met, hope to meet you somewhere this year or next. Love to learn more about your photo and archiving skills. Looking for a HOF and HOC archivist - someone who can help document the history so it's not lost. Would be cool to have a visual timeline.

JohnD

John,

Your friends sound like the kind of friends everyone wants. Sounds like you had a great and mutually fulfilling relationship with them. Sorry they're gone :(

If we haven't met, hope to meet you somewhere this year or next. Love to learn more about your photo and archiving skills. Looking for a HOF and HOC archivist - someone who can help document the history so it's not lost. Would be cool to have a visual timeline.

Well . . . if you can make it to the Colorado Heartland Owner's Club Camp Out near Colorado Springs in May, 2014 . . . I'll be there (already booked my parking spot)!

And probably another this year that has not been scheduled yet.

alex00

Hey all,

I check with the Director of Service on this and there has been no change in policy. The thought is that Jim Gratz may have dealt with a parts department rep and not a service rep.
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you, Jim, for tackling this matter so quickly. Another big tick on the pro column for Heartland. Try getting answers this quickly to this type of question from any other manufacturer.

jmgratz

As a clarification, I did not talk to Customer Service but talked to parts. Guess I talked to the wrong people. But I did get the right part.