Delete kit for 07 and later

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have a 2012 Ford F350SD DRW and see no reason to remove or modify any of the OEM systems. I get almost 20mpg on the highway and 15.5mpg around town. I tow our 5'er, Landmark Key Largo approx. 13k lbs and get about 11mpg and have plenty of power left. The expense or effect of modifying the OEM systems is not worth the cost or the performance improvement that you think you might get.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a 2012 Ford F350SD DRW and see no reason to remove or modify any of the OEM systems. I get almost 20mpg on the highway and 15.5mpg around town. I tow our 5'er, Landmark Key Largo approx. 13k lbs and get about 11mpg and have plenty of power left. The expense or effect of modifying the OEM systems is not worth the cost or the performance improvement that you think you might get.

I agree. I'll keep mine stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

brianharrison

It was not for fuel economy, nor increase in horsepower that I removed my DPF and retuned. I removed it to get rid of the damaging temperatures caused by the regeneration cycle.

The worst thing to do for a diesel engine is run it hot - the regeneration cycle for the DPF deliberately injects raw fuel into the #7 and #8 cylinder on the exhaust stroke to raise the exhaust temp to 1250F. This temp goes through the manifold, exhaust piping before turbo (engine bay), through the very expensive turbo, and through the remaining exhaust piping.

As well, with the retune, I can disable the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), another emissions control system - preventing the temperature cycling in the coolers and removing a failure risk associated with these coolers. These coolers can plug with soot, cause local heating, fail and put coolant into the engine cylinders. There are some engine failures due to hydro lock (sp?) - where engine coolant leaks through EGR coolers, or engine head gasket failures and fills up cylinder 7 or 8. When the engine fires up, unfortunately water does not compress and rod/piston failure occurs and often block damage/catastrophic failure.

The DPF delete/emissions removal is not for everyone. I did it to preserve the integrity of my engine by removing some events (regen, EGR) that are simply a compromise to engine performance/longevity. My 2 cents.

Brian

porthole

Retired
Ford fixed that with the 6.7. They now use "all" the left bank cylinders!

"During regeneration, the left side injectors perform post injection. The right side injectors do not provide fuel for
regeneration because right side cylinders supply exhaust gas to the EGR valve and EGR cooler."

Rrloren

{The DPF delete/emissions removal is not for everyone. I did it to preserve the integrity of my engine by removing some events (regen, EGR) that are simply a compromise to engine performance/longevity. My 2 cents.}

Agreed! That's why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream, you get to choose your flavor.

Speedy

Removal of any emission control equipment on any vehicle in the US is a federal crime. Has been for years. That's why all the emission systems are warrantied for 5 years or 80k miles regardless of owners, federal law. Any repair shop with any common sense will not remove emission components; that's why there are CAT back exhaust systems sold only for street use.

brianharrison

Ford fixed that with the 6.7. They now use "all" the left bank cylinders!

"During regeneration, the left side injectors perform post injection. The right side injectors do not provide fuel for
regeneration because right side cylinders supply exhaust gas to the EGR valve and EGR cooler."

Good to know Duane. Thanks. Another reason for me to upgrade :).

Brian

happyappy

I think diesel emissions technology will closely follow our history with gas engines. The first attempts at reducing emissions in gas engines were clumsy, choked performance, and created expensive repairs to maintain the equipment. There once was a lot of interest in removing emissions control equipment on gassers for these reasons. Now...no one thinks twice about removing the emissions equipment because it works well without compromising performance or longevity. In due time I'm sure diesel technology will follow suite.

Unfortunately, those driving early versions of the technology are often stuck with a choice of spending thousands to keep the performance robbing equipment on their truck...or spend a couple of hundred to delete it and improve performance.

I do think the mandate to warranty emissions equipment for 80K miles or 5 years needs to be reconsidered. When those rules were passed for gas engines, the average car was on it's last legs by the time it hit 100K. Now I expect my vehicles to go at least 200K without the need for major repairs.

brianharrison

Very good points happyappy. Let's hope they can adapt European clean burn diesel technology (used in lighter duty diesels) to light duty trucks that we use to pull our trailers, up to 30,000lbs.

Brian

rbcdp98

I have a deleted 6.7 cummins before the delete I was getting 12-15 city and 16-18 highway. Post delete I'm now 14-17 city and 19-25 highway mpg. I have saved the 1200 dollars it cost me to delete in the first 6 months. The emissions stuff really only keeping soot from the atmosphere and makes us use more fuel then needed. .