Diesel Additives

Happy Campers

In my owners manual it says " do not use additives ".Addives wern't a problem when i bought the truck but now i'm wondering about it.The truck is still under warranty and i don't want to void it so i don't see an option yet.I have been wondering if i should contact dodge or ? if they have changed the status on additives.Does anyone have a person or department that i should contact besides dealers for some straight answers ?
Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you truck is still in warranty I would certainly as the dealer where I get it serviced. They would be the ones to deny a warranty claim if one is made. Just a suggestion.

Happy Campers

That is the problem as i don't live close to the dealer that i bought it from and they have changed around a lot.I havn't had any problems with my truck but they changed my oil under some of the warranty but now i use independents for that as we travel a lot now.At the present time we are over 500 mi. from home and won't be back for several months.I suppose i can call a cummins dealer and see what they recommend as i need filters.I try to keep an extra air filter,oil filter and two fuel filters with me as cummins is cheaper than dealers on filters.
Thanks

beardedone

Beardedone
It shouldn't be a problem on the truck in your signature. The problem is with the new 6.7's as the they say the DPF may be damaged if you use additives. Even that is disputed by some. Read the label for compatability and make sure it doesn't contain any alcohol.

Happy Campers

I called cummins in Mesquite,Tx. and was surprised to their answer,the parts man told me that cummins recommends Valvoline fuel treatment.Not only was i surprised by that answer but was shocked when he said they also recommend Valvoline motor oil.Then i called where i bought the truck and the parts man told me they don't use or sell any additives but he transfered me to the service dept and i was told to use any additive that will clean the injectors.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Diesel Additive

I've started using Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat. Never used anything until I came up to Wyoming for the winter. I've only put @ 20k miles on my truck since coming here, but I do now have 200k total. Here's their website - Howes. Don't think I'm gonna go 3 times farther on a fuel filter, like they claim - I'll continue to change it regularly. I started using this based on recommendations from co-workers - who have been here multiple winters. They swear by the stuff and use it year-round.