Diesel Aux and main tanks

Bones

I thought I would start a thread here about Diesel tanks. I have noticed on a couple of threads I was on have gone off topic and away from the OP's question.

I found this tank that would replace my stock fuel tank. It is made by titan. Very expensive in my opinion.

I don't want the Aux tank but like the thought of having a longer range than the 250 miles I have now. The cost of one of these tanks can pay for lots and lots of fuel at 2.50 a gallon, about 500 gallons worth of fuel. Has anyone done a replacement stock tank before? Do you like it? What are your opinions?

Titan Dodge ram 3500 Fuel tank

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the moderators if they see this can start a new main thread under tow vehicles for fuel tanks.

MTPockets

"Mrsfish" has the Titan tank on their F350, maybe they'll chime in with opinion. I have the 50 gal in bed aux tank by Transferflo. The extra range is great! Only once have we ever filled, or needed to while towing. The Titan tank for a short bed Ford almost doubles the capacity, long bed Ford not as much since the long bed has larger stock tank than short bed. If you only get an additional 10 - 15 gallons, wouldn't think it's worth the cost.

Bones

"Mrsfish" has the Titan tank on their F350, maybe they'll chime in with opinion. I have the 50 gal in bed aux tank by Transferflo. The extra range is great! Only once have we ever filled, or needed to while towing. The Titan tank for a short bed Ford almost doubles the capacity, long bed Ford not as much since the long bed has larger stock tank than short bed. If you only get an additional 10 - 15 gallons, wouldn't think it's worth the cost.

I have a 30 gallon tank. I typically would fill it at 1/4 mark. I don't like it going below that point much. so that puts me at about 22 to 25 gallons which is roughly 250 miles of towing

Last edited:

pegmikef

In my F250, I had a short bed so the OEM tank was only 26 gallons. I replaced it with a transferflo fifty gallon tank and had them reset the computer to reflect fifty gallons so MTE worked correctly. Cost around 800 bucks installed that included the tax and shipping that was 100 plus dollars. Loved it and it increased my range enough so I never had to refuel while towing.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Our RDS auxiliary tank is on the small side, only 37 gallons. But it has been one of the best aftermarket purchases we made when we started camping longer distances. I can only think of about 2-3 times that we filled with the 5er hooked up. We have had the auxiliary tank for about two years now. We actually purchased it used from a fellow Heartlander from Erie PA. It puts our total capacity at right around 75 gallons.

You are sort of in the same boat we are. You have kids and pets to deal with on the trip. It allows us to pull over at rest areas and take the dog out and go to the bathroom, without having to worry about filling up. I can do that later when we get to the campground.

Whether it be a in-bed tank or a replacement tank, they are definitely a great investment if you're going to start traveling longer distances.

Bones

Our RDS auxiliary tank is on the small side, only 37 gallons. But it has been one of the best aftermarket purchases we made when we started camping longer distances. I can only think of about 2-3 times that we filled with the 5er hooked up. We have had the auxiliary tank for about two years now. We actually purchased it used from a fellow Heartlander from Erie PA. It puts our total capacity at right around 75 gallons.

You are sort of in the same boat we are. You have kids and pets to deal with on the trip. It allows us to pull over at rest areas and take the dog out and go to the bathroom, without having to worry about filling up. I can do that later when we get to the campground.

Whether it be a in-bed tank or a replacement tank, they are definitely a great investment if you're going to start traveling longer distances.
The kids and dog make our stop a whole lot longer than they need to be because I don't want to leave the dog to pay for fuel or leave the kids in the truck so we usually end up doing one thing at a time then do the other thing like restroom breaks. I'm just not sure if that much more money is worth it for 20 extra gallons.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The kids and dog make our stop a whole lot longer than they need to be because I don't want to leave the dog to pay for fuel or leave the kids in the truck so we usually end up doing one thing at a time then do the other thing like restroom breaks. I'm just not sure if that much more money is worth it for 20 extra gallons.

I can see your point since you have the young ones and dog. BUT when you begin to take longer trips especially across country and leave the more populated east coast you will enjoy having the extra capacity regardless of tank type.
There are numerous states that it's nice to visit without having to buy fuel when it's less expensive in the next state on your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean-Pam

I looked at getting the Titan replacement tank but did the cost analysis like Bones did and couldn't justify it at this point. Instead I purchased two 5-gal cans I place in the bed of the truck and fortunately I am healthy enough to be able to lift them over the side of the truck bed when I need to use them. Those two cans give me another 100+ miles while towing. When I get to the point I can't lift the can, then I will look to add a larger replacement tank. Not saying this option works for everyone, but it works for me.

Bones

I looked at getting the Titan replacement tank but did the cost analysis like Bones did and couldn't justify it at this point. Instead I purchased two 5-gal cans I place in the bed of the truck and fortunately I am healthy enough to be able to lift them over the side of the truck bed when I need to use them. Those two cans give me another 100+ miles while towing. When I get to the point I can't lift the can, then I will look to add a larger replacement tank. Not saying this option works for everyone, but it works for me.
That is what I have right now. Two 5 gallon diesel cans but they are a pain in the *** because I have the capless fill and then you have to press the button on the spout.

donr827

I have the TransferFlo replacement tank in my short bed truck. It's a little expensive but I like the extra fuel to keep fuel stops down,
Don

Jonah

Traveling across Montana last year in our Honda, I was wondering what I would do pulling a fiver. There weren't any stations forever. And as mentioned earlier, it would be great to skip the "high dollar" stations altogether. I'm currently think a 40-50 gallon combo storage/tank unit may be in my future. That would give 80-90 gallon total and quite a range! Agree it's costly, but the convenience might be worth it. Hopefully someone will chime in w some cost effective options.

Bohemian

Looking at these prices, there is no "cost" advantage to an aux or replacement tank. It's all about convenience and comfort.

jnbhobe

I have a 60 gal tank-toolbox combo, it's the best add on I have done, gives me 1000 mile range and lots of comfort and convenience.

Bones

Looking at these prices, there is no "cost" advantage to an aux or replacement tank. It's all about convenience and comfort.
I have not found a reasonable cost solution yet outside of filling diesel cans but I still have to stop to fill my tank with those so I figure why not stop at the truck stop and fill up.

mlburst1

We replaced the stock 26 gallon tank on our short bed with the Titan tank when it was new - it's easy to fill up at the best prices, no fuel stops when towing unless we want to, a full size tool box in the bed and the peace of mind of 500 miles per tank is priceless.

Bones

We replaced the stock 26 gallon tank on our short bed with the Titan tank when it was new - it's easy to fill up at the best prices, no fuel stops when towing unless we want to, a full size tool box in the bed and the peace of mind of 500 miles per tank is priceless.
I think the replacement fuel tank for me is the best solution but the price is holding me back at the moment. That is a lot of fuel I can buy but it would be nice to travel a little further especially for my Disney trip next year.

rjr6150

From one who lives out west trust me it's nice to have the extra capacity. I installed an under the bedcover Transferflow so it's hidden under my Pace-Edwards retractable hard cover.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 36 gallon gas tank and get roughly 400 miles per tank when towing . . . 500+ when not towing!

I don't think there is anywhere in the US that is more than 400 miles away from a gas station.

Not too mention that I like to stop and stretch every two hours or so . . .

Bones

I have a 36 gallon gas tank and get roughly 400 miles per tank when towing . . . 500+ when not towing!

I don't think there is anywhere in the US that is more than 400 miles away from a gas station.

Not too mention that I like to stop and stretch every two hours or so . . .
My range is a whole lot less than that. My current tank is somewhere around 31 gallons. That gives me 300 miles max but I get ancsy when I get at 1/4 tank which is about 250 miles.