Diesel - Cold Weather Operations

Anyone on the forum leave a diesel truck for extended periods w/o being operated in cold weather climates, say down to -20F for short periods? I'm wondering if I'd have any issues leaving a Dodge CTD in Montana during the winter months. I've heard that fuel can go bad or 'gel'... anyone with experience or tips to offer?

Thanks,
Bill

lwmcguir

We have tractors and trucks that are exposed to -15 at least every year. The #2 fuel will jell (paraffin come out-cloud point goes high) but if you don't try to operate it you are just fine. By the time the weather warms up it will be back in solution. Most of the newer trucks have heaters and fuel recycle built in to protect you while on the road. You just need to keep the tank >1/4 full. In the cold months we usually get a 60/40 blend of kerosene and diesel. That seems to work pretty. You can add and many do the Cetane booster products or if we get caught on the ranch we add 1 gallon unleaded per 50 gallons of Diesel. This is fine for the older diesel but not for the new ones with piezo injectors. The only time you have to worry is when you are out there with #2 fuel in the tank and the weather is near zero. You might plug up a fuel filter unless you have the newer trucks with the heaters and recycle. Many truck stops don't blend fuel, you just get #2 and you have to take care of it.

Again no problem if you are parked or have fuel stored. the biggest problem with long term stored fuel is moisture and MB growth.

Bighurt

I guess I assumed you were using the truck.

Yeah once it warms back up it will run fine.

My M35 stays parked all winter with a 1/2 tank of fuel. I don't use additive cause I don't use the truck in the winter.

I don't trust the OEM fuel heaters. My F350 is equipped with an in-line arctic fox fuel heater.

GOTTOYS

We get blended fuel during the cold months here in MN. Haven't had a problem yet down to -4 or so. Not using any additives just straight out of the pump blended #1 and #2, Going to get colder next week we'll see. Don