Diesel Engine Additives (or how to become a chemist in your spare time)

BigGuy82

I don't think the actual legislation requires manufacturers to prove anything where they have a stated exclusion in the warranty. The FTC however has issued clarifying statements which say that the manufacturer must be able to demonstrate that the damage was caused by xyz. However, the FTC document also says that its guidance is just guidance and not law.

More significantly, Magnuson Moss allows manufacturers to state warranty exclusions in their Limited Warranty Statement. If you take the time to read your truck warranty, you'll find some exclusions related to fuel quality, maintenance, etc.

If the manufacturer denies coverage under one of those exclusions, based on FTC guidance, they might be expected to have to demonstrate the connection. Note that "demonstrate" is not the same as "prove" and probably puts less of a burden on the manufacturer if you want to challenge their denial.

When our GMC fuel system disintegrated, one of the first things that was done by the dealer was to analyze the fuel. No doubt this was at the direction of GMC. The warranty statement would have allowed a denial of warranty if the analysis showed a fuel problem that could have caused the damage.

They did cover under warranty. But if they had refused, as Ford has been reported to commonly do, I would have had to try and recover from the fuel supplier, or argue with the manufacturer's analysis. And of course, they have "science" and engineers on their side, prepared to "demonstrate" why the fuel sample justifies the warranty exclusion.

So Magnuson Moss provides some protection. But don't think for a second that it completely insulates you.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help ..."

Geodude

I run Ford's PM-22 in summer and Diesel Kleen in winter. US diesel fuel has a low scar rating, Canada is better. I use the additive no matter where I am. For the PM-22, I just keep it behind the back seat and use a turkey baster to put 100 ml in a separate bottle for pouring into the tank. I keep that little bottle and some wet wipes in the left rear door pocket.

Also, don't forget to crawl underneath and drain the water separator monthly (I think it's in the owner's manual these days). The "water in fuel" light, if it illuminates, apparently usually means it's too late for your engine.

For DEF, I keep some at home and will top it up before a long trip and carry a container with me. But it's generally easy to find, although not at the best price. In the US, Wal-mart has it at a great price.

NHCelt

Last I knew, the high-pressure fuel pumps in both Ford and GM were the same Bosch unit, and were designed to work with the higher lubricity fuel found in Europe. Both have had some issues that they blame on bad fuel but which may be a combination of fuel and a poorly spec'ed hpfp.

Ford began recommending Stanadyne to owners of the 6.0 diesel...which I had. The issue that caused the recommendation was injectors sticking. I have continued using this product with my Duramax. It clearly made my Ford run smoother and quieter, and the Chev has never run without it.

Lots of backyard chemists seem to pop up with fuel additives, and the studies done have measured the performance of the additives in diesel fuel that has not received the fuel company's' additive pack...not sure you would ever encounter this in the real world. I suspect some of these would cause more harm than good. Stanadyne is a quality product made by a fuel injector manufacturer...cheap insurance in my book. Designed to improve diesel fuel that meets government regulations...likely not designed to protect you from unadditized fuel...an unlikely scenario for which you have auto insurance. Their performance formula ticks all the boxes. Good luck...don't expect better performance numbers, but you will keep your fuel system better cleaned and lubricated and that is a good thing. It does need to be used continuously to prevent injector scaring.

FWIW, I buy a case and keep it in the front storage of the fifth wheel. I use about a case a year. DEF gets bought when I get a warning light.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As far as DEF goes our 2012 F350 once gave me a less than half reading and within 5 miles went into the 'limp' mode due to DEF being too low. Luckily I was about 1/4 mile from a convenience store that sold DEF. Stopped put in some DEF and then got back on the road. Moral: Just because you get a less than half warning doesn't mean you are okay. I now carry a 1 gallon container of DEF.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
That is why I really like the Ram set up...The new Ram's have a DEF gauge just like the fuel gauge..

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think that the 2017 Ford has one too .
You can change the settings to see 4 different gauges and def is one of them.
This info is just from what I've seen from pictures and videos on the internet.
I hope I'm right. 😎

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

The gauge sure gives one peace of mind while driving vs driving blind....The Ram set up isn't in the settings, it is an actual gauge, the same as the fuel gauge on the dash.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think you can move it up to the top row if you want
7e6c2d133d9267500e15f45e139f7c7f.jpg

BigGuy82

So here's the final word from the head diesel mechanic at my local Ford dealership. Always use Cetane Booster & Performance Improver with every tank of fuel. If you are going to err, err on the side of using more, not less. Of course he recommends the Ford products - he works for Ford, but I don't see any reason not to use it - I really don't care about a few pennies per tank. And, if their engineers say it's good, I'll take their word on it. Drain the seperator every 3 or 4 tanks (a little tidbit that was never mentioned when I picked the truck up. Yes, I know, it's in the manual.) Don't use the anti-gel until the weather starts turning cold and if it gets down around zero, don't be afraid to use a little more than recommended.

Still doesn't answer my questions about carrying and storing open bottles, but I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, which is keeping it under the rear passenger seat in a covered container.

BigGuy82

I think that the 2017 Ford has one too .
You can change the settings to see 4 different gauges and def is one of them.
This info is just from what I've seen from pictures and videos on the internet.
I hope I'm right. 

Got a build date on the new truck yet?

Doublegranch

Garry,On my 2014 RAM, the gauge is non-linear. When it's showing 1/2, it's probably closer to 1/4.[Dan: I now have 22,000 mile on my 16 Ram..The gauge has been spot on so far...I have tested it at 3/4 full and it took just at a gallon.....1/2 was again on with just over 2 gallons....at the read line it took under 5 gallons. I think the read line gives me 1/2 gallon or so...I have never run it until the warning system came up telling me how many miles I have left. ]

IronJ

Well...I dunno but when I check mine manually and it says under half it takes about 3 gallons...when it says 500 till empty it takes 5 gallons...but hey if you have a tuner and a few custom hacks you can have a gauge too...😎...no 2017 needed....although the gauge may be more incremental?

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish