Diesel fill up !

Wharton

I haven't tried that but I am not sure that would work. The credit card we leave behind has a limit of $1000.00(about 3 fill-ups or 2700 miles). Plenty for the times we need it. After using this credit card for a "deposit" I then go back in and charge or pay cash(whichever is the better deal) on my regular card.

dbhutchins

Interesting thread!

We're relatively new to 5th Wheeling, but have crossed the country from Seattle to Key West, so have seen a bunch of fuel stops. I'd love to have an aux tank, but so far haven't decided it's worth the grand or so investment. One day...

Meanwhile we're fueling once or twice a day on the road, and use a mix of truck stops and regular stations with Diesel. Our rig's "kind of" short - just 32' behind the truck, so maneuvering isn't usually a big problem. But the height of this 5'er is 13', so I'm hyper-sensitive to pump canopy heights, and have found lots of stations which don't have the 13'6" minimum that I'm willing to negotiate.

We do use truck stops wherever possible. But my experience is that MOST of 'em won't let you leave a card (even if you wanted to), but make you pre-pay, then pump. Since I'm wanting to fill my tank (my F250 only takes 30 gal from empty) what I do is estimate high and pay for a bit more than I need. When the charge goes through, the card gets credited with the difference between what you paid and what you pumped. You might give this a try. An equally annoying problem is the huge number of pumps that are limited to $75 or $80 at a time. These brain dead machines just stop pumping, and to get more fuel you have to "hang up and dial again". How stupid is that!?

Me: I'm getting closer and closer to installing a 50 gal aux tank, so I can stop worrying about this quite so much! Then I'll just pull into the truck stop and take 70 gal or so - who cares about a fill up if you're toting three days fuel?

porthole

Retired
somewhere I recently saw an electronic scanner that mounts on the outside of your TV, gives a readout of the height above you (overhang).
If your going slow enough it should save a lot of apprehension.

If your fueling once or twice a day you'll really like the bigger tank.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
somewhere I recently saw an electronic scanner that mounts on the outside of your TV, gives a readout of the height above you (overhang).
If your going slow enough it should save a lot of apprehension.

Interesting Duane! And timely too! I have obtained two GiraffeG4 Height detection monitoring systems. One to be auctoned off at the NJ Rally and one for the Heartland July Jam in Lincoln, Delaware! If you would like a chance to win one of these systems.....sign up for the rallies!!!!

Attachments

• GiraffeG4 Flyer.pdf
    306.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

dbhutchins

I have obtained two GiraffeG4 Height detection monitoring systems. One to be auctoned off at the NJ Rally and one for the Heartland July Jam in Lincoln, Delaware! If you would like a chance to win one of these systems.....sign up for the rallies!!!!

VERY Cool! Does this system have a programmable alarm height? That would make it almost idiot proof. I.e. it might even save ME from whacking some overhead some day.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Don,

Everything I have read so far says that once the sensor is mounted and it's height is recorded in the system, you are good to go! It records up to 20 feet above the sensor. We don't own one yet but plan to in the future as there are many old railroad bridges and such in South Jersey.

Sorry, didn't mean to Hijack your fuel thread!