Diesel MPG decreasing..

ct0218

Jim is right about the winter blend (in northern states) cutting into mileage, but air density also cuts mileage everywhere. D&L is correct about the filter being the likely suspect. I carry 2 spares, and have plugged all 3 in less than 500 miles because of one bad batch. NEVER refuel if a tanker is unloading at the station. GM generally does not recommend additives. Speed, wind and driving habits will affect your mileage more than anything else!

Uncle Rog

Embarassed to Say......

This weekend my check engine light came on.......power seemed to be way off and you could almost see the fuel gauge going down.....
I contacted on-star and they determined that the mass air sensor and boost power sensor were malfunctioning...........
I stopped and checked the k&n filter, filthy.......
We sprayed denatured alcohol on the mass air sensor and rinsed the filter in gasoline......not a normal practice, but in 60 knot winds it dried very quickly and was able to drive home......
I replaced the filter yesterday and this morning the light is gone and have full power again.......
It is hard to say how much the head wind affected the mileage, when I parked the DIC said 8.1 mpg, this morning it is back up to almost 15 and rising............
Moral of the story, keep all your filters clean, I have not noticed any performance issues using the LSD..............

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
This weekend my check engine light came on.......power seemed to be way off and you could almost see the fuel gauge going down.....
I contacted on-star and they determined that the mass air sensor and boost power sensor were malfunctioning...........
I stopped and checked the k&n filter, filthy.......
We sprayed denatured alcohol on the mass air sensor and rinsed the filter in gasoline......not a normal practice, but in 60 knot winds it dried very quickly and was able to drive home......
I replaced the filter yesterday and this morning the light is gone and have full power again.......
It is hard to say how much the head wind affected the mileage, when I parked the DIC said 8.1 mpg, this morning it is back up to almost 15 and rising............
Moral of the story, keep all your filters clean, I have not noticed any performance issues using the LSD..............

Roger there has been a lot of posts on bad sensors using the K&N filters at www.dieselplace.com ...Ken

Uncle Rog

The K&N facility is right around the corner from the yard, heck I sold them the lumber for the building, and I have used them in every thing I have owned for quite a few years, with out any problems.
I have to blame my problem on pilot error, I missed a service and drive 5 miles a day on dirt to avoid a couple of interchanges.....20k miles is too long in this area....
I have cocktails a couple a times a month with one of their exec's and the major cause of problems is #1 is over oiling the filter and #2 is not servicing in a timely manner.
Thanks guys............

osageman

Additives, additives, additives. Everybody has their claims, and their research to back them up. ULSD has less lubricity than the old #2 diesel. Fuel additives to boost the "cetane" rating will only make the fuel burn quicker and will not increase you mileage. I've talked to alot of diesel users and mechanics; who say "lubricity" is what you want instead of higher "cetane" rating. Old school says to add a quart of "AFT fluid" about every three tanks of diesel. I've tried it all and even Stanadyne doesn't seen to make much difference in mileage, but I think it helps to lube the injectors etc. I owned a 03 F250 7.3L diesel and got 15mgp towing a 37' toyhauler. Traded it for a 08 F350 6.4L. What a mistake. Now I'm down to 9.5 towing a 35' Razor toyhauler. The new diesels have been chocked down so bad with all the EPA stuff that the engines will not perform to their ability. The new FORDS CANNOT be chiped, change the air intake or exhaust or FORD will cancel your warranty. The new computers have a memory, so if you make any modifications it will show up the next time the dealer plugs in their engine analyzer. What a bunch of bull. It's MY truck, but I'm NOT allowed to set up the engine the way I want. Just more and more control!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who knows what the answer is, but with diesel over $4 a gallon something needs to be done.