Difficulty in installation of Titan disc brakes?

StrongJava

Merry Christmas!

I'm in discussion with an a company that will be doing installation of Titan disc brakes at a show, and they are offering installations for $1,000. This is a day of labor, and the price seems high to me. As a DIY who doesn't do too well at paying people to do things like this :-~, I'm asking to hear from others who have done their own installation of Titan disc kits. I have a pretty good set of tools with me.

What is your experience?

Tim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I installed my Kodiak disk brakes 5 or 6 years ago. If you are a DIY guy it's a pretty easy job.
There are plenty of folks here that have done it, so there is support if you run into problems
Here is my install.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

Purchased mine and had them installed at the Las Vegas national rally. Took two installers that know how backwards and forwards three and a half hours. They know what they are doing. I could have done this, but it would have taken me a couple of days at the house. $1000.00 isn't that much for two people and 3.5 hours. They have to pay them selves most likely as an S corp which means double on Social Security, Medicare, federal and state taxes. Add food, lodging, fuel for travel, health care, and hopefully a retirement plan, etc.. It isn't as much as you think. So if you like to do this and want to, go for it, but they are not ripping you off for a thousand dollars to do the install.

StrongJava

Thanks, Marc. As a business owner myself, I don't think they're ripping me off so much as I am trying to judge comparative prices. I'm hearing of others getting the install kit for a couple hundred bucks less that this company is charging so when you add in labor rate of $250/hour, it doesn't sound like much of bargain to me.

Yes, I generally enjoy projects like this. But, if I've found a bargain, I'll take it if it saves me time and hassle. In this case, I've got the time and if I wait until I get back into Texas for a while, I know I've got someone who would help me.

Dave, thanks for the video which I'll watch in a bit. I take it you like the Kodiak system?

Tim

mlpeloquin

Both the Kodiak system and Titan system do a great job. The difference is that the Titan system uses GMC break parts and Kodiak is papriortory. So break pads for the Titan system can be purchased a any auto parts store. Ether one will do the a good job for you.

StrongJava

Thanks for the good information! I'm also running a GMC. I was just told by the owner that they would install an extra adapter for the trailer to make it compatible with the GMC controller. Did they do that with yours? And did it go at the plug or is it out of sight, out of mind?

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the good information! I'm also running a GMC. I was just told by the owner that they would install an extra adapter for the trailer to make it compatible with the GMC controller. Did they do that with yours? And did it go at the plug or is it out of sight, out of mind?

Yes they did. It is a load that simulates the magnetic break load so the older stile OEM break controller knows that the trailer is plugged in. They installed the break pump and the load in with my passenger side LPG tank. Plenty of room in there with the tank. Installation was done really neat and clean.

StrongJava

Nice video, Dave.

I installed my Kodiak disk brakes 5 or 6 years ago. If you are a DIY guy it's a pretty easy job.
There are plenty of folks here that have done it, so there is support if you run into problems
Here is my install.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It's going to be a big project to do by yourself but if it's something you like to do I would go for it.

I just started my install today. Soldered the wires for the harness, painted the mounting bracket, and mounted the pump in the left side propane compartment.

96e7937e649ae932cf0fccc6bb10867e.jpg

b00dc3349f00fcdce85218595b730dad.jpg

Ran loom over the wires and ran the harness up to the pinbox junction box.

750104e1804ebaed5ff3f5197ce4dcf9.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

StrongJava

Thanks for posting Jerrod. I'm looking forward to following along.

I'm thinking of enrolling a friend with a Bighorn in San Antonio to help me in Mach, and I've got another friend with a Landmark that will also be thereabouts in March who is interested in helping/learning.

Tim

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks for posting Jerrod. I'm looking forward to following along.

I'm thinking of enrolling a friend with a Bighorn in San Antonio to help me in Mach, and I've got another friend with a Landmark that will also be thereabouts in March who is interested in helping/learning.

Tim

Sounds like a fun party !!!
I taking it slow, 1 faze at a time. It's been cold here so I have been putting it off.
I'm going to run my brake line along the top of the frame channel out of sight as much as possible. I don't want the line in my way when I'm needing to drop belly corplast.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry
I had to edit my first post :/ I don't even know what I was trying to say in that first sentience. LOL

Bones

If you have a lot of tools to do the job I don't think you will have an issue. I think the hardest part is getting the camper up in the air high enough to work on it unless you have level up.

Lynn1130

I have this system set up for install next month. If you go to Performance Brake's Web site there is some video on them doing the install. Like was said earlier, not something that someone who is handy could not do, but it would take me several days and a lot of back pain to get it done. $1000 labor is well worth it to me.

StrongJava

What we've done in the past, which worked because a friend of mine had access to steel drums of sorts, was to jack the RV up and set it up those. Worked great!

If you have a lot of tools to do the job I don't think you will have an issue. I think the hardest part is getting the camper up in the air high enough to work on it unless you have level up.

BigGuy82

Merry Christmas!

I'm in discussion with an a company that will be doing installation of Titan disc brakes at a show, and they are offering installations for $1,000. This is a day of labor, and the price seems high to me. As a DIY who doesn't do too well at paying people to do things like this :-~, I'm asking to hear from others who have done their own installation of Titan disc kits. I have a pretty good set of tools with me.

What is your experience?

Tim

As a matter of fact, I just talked to Ron Russell (Performance Trailer Braking) today and he said he has 3 installation teams that travel throughout 38 states. The cost (whether you're at a show or not) is $1,000 for installation. Obviously you need to set up an appointment because these folks travel a "route" - not as convenient as having it done at a show.

I'm going to do it myself - I'm in no particular hurry, I've got the tools and I've got the skills - might as well save a grand.

- - - Updated - - -

I have this system set up for install next month. If you go to Performance Brake's Web site there is some video on them doing the install. Like was said earlier, not something that someone who is handy could not do, but it would take me several days and a lot of back pain to get it done. $1000 labor is well worth it to me.

The back pain part is the only thing that made me think twice - those tires/wheels are heavy! Then I thought "hey, that's why I've got a son and two son-in-laws".:cool:

Lynn1130

The install crew kept in touch prior to their arrival and showed up when they said they would. They were done in under 4 hours. More like 3 1/2. I am very happy with the fact that the brakes now stop the trailer instead of the "hope we get stopped" feeling when applying brakes.