Dimmer Switch for Ceiling Fan

Would it be possible to install a dimmer switch on the 110V ceiling fan with the objective of modulating the fan speed?

jbeletti

Bob and Sylvia - I don't see why not. Bear in mind that the light and fan motor are tied together on a common power feed. So varying fan voltage will also dim the fan lighting (if used).

Replace the household style wall switch for the fan with a fan speed control switch. Keep your packaging and receipt if it doesn't work out.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim:

Yes, those were my own thoughts, but then I wondered if the speed of the fan is varied electrically or mechanically and if reducing the voltage to the fan motor through a rheostat might harm the motor.

FlyerChief

For what it's worth.....I installed a new fan in my home yesterday. There was a whole section of the instructions that talked about this very subject. It said that connection of the fan to a dimmer switch and use of the dimmer to vary fan speed would result in a loud humming noise from the fan motor and eventually damage the motor. The instructions said don't do it. I don't pretend to know the technical reasons, but the fan manufacturer specifically advised against it.

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FlyerChief

I should clarify that the instructions advised against using a LIGHTING dimmer switch. Use of a variable fan switch was OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rick_debbie_gallant

I thought all fans had three speed switches on them. We put up a 6 blade fan that works real well. Moves twice as much air as the OE.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353253594.802729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
With the wrong type of switch you create an excessive amperage draw on the motor. You will either smoke the motor or switch.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Debbie, What kind of fan is it and where did you get it?

rick_debbie_gallant

We got it at Menards. If you don't have one close to u you may be able to order it on line from. I will look and see what I can find about what kind she bee.

Bill:

Thanks for the link, but right now I'm in Arkansas where they are selling what appears to be the same switch for about $13.00. Go figure!

Thanks for all the responses, but a small bit of market research indicates that what I want to do - infinitely vary the fan speed - may not be easily done. Probably because lowering the voltage will drive the amperage and burn the motor. Most of the switches simply allow one to avoid reaching for the pull chain, while some do add one or two fixed rate speeds. However I have been in places where the fan speed is infinitely variable, but these were not residences and the fans didn't have lights. I'll put this on the back burner until I get settled in for the winter. Watch this space.