Direct TV genie

carl.swoyer

I'm considering a DirecTV instl at my house. I currently take a box from my daughter s house and toggle it back and forth from my house to my fifth wheel. Can I toggle the new direct TV genie from my house to my Rv. Our install is set for tomorrow afternoon. Input greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do it all the time. I use a Genie and one client.
Depending on what model your current DTV box is you might have to add some equipment in your RV.
If you were not using SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) equipment you will have to add a power inserter in your RV. If your old receiver was SWM then you should be good to go.
Also if you did not have hi-def you will need to get a new dish. Oval with an SWM LNB (Low Noise Block).
If you need any of that equipment for your RV you might be able to talk the installer out of some. I have always been successful in doing that. Sometimes a little cash offer helps persuade.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

I do have a swm set in the camper I was using the Wingard carry out
85119aa89064a6334d3562b01c5ee268.jpg

TxCowboy

I do it all the time. I use a Genie and one client.
Depending on what model your current DTV box is you might have to add some equipment in your RV.
If you were not using SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) equipment you will have to add a power inserter in your RV. If your old receiver was SWM then you should be good to go.
Also if you did not have hi-def you will need to get a new dish. Oval with an SWM LNB (Low Noise Block).
If you need any of that equipment for your RV you might be able to talk the installer out of some. I have always been successful in doing that. Sometimes a little cash offer helps persuade.

Peace
Dave

Dave, good information. Does Wingard or anyone else make a portable satellite that will receive HD quality for DirecTV? I see it all day long for Dish but see nothing on the Wingard site for DTV.

carl.swoyer

Wingard has an hd dish but its like 1200 bucks.it looks like the hd dish on a house but it fully automatic

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What is one client
A client is a small box that will allow you to view your DTV programs on another TV. Like having another receiver but smaller. And if you have the Genie you can record and view recordings through the Client (Genie Mini).

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wingard has an hd dish but its like 1200 bucks.it looks like the hd dish on a house but it fully automatic

Are you referring to the Winegard Trav'ler? Mounts on the roof? They're nice.
More like $1600.

Peace
Dave

farside291

If your only interested in Directv on one television consider having a stand alone receiver like the H25-100 added to your home package and that's the one you leave in the camper. But, when it in the house it will not be able to access the DVR because it is a stand alone receiver. Bringing the client/wireless transmitter and the genie will allow you to bring more than one genie and view Directv on more than one TV. Also, you only have to worry about the wire from the dish going to one spot such as the living room.

Crumgater

We added the genie system recently, but kept our old boxes. We can take one or two of the old stand-alone boxes with us when we travel, no problem. When home, they hook back into the network, and share info with the genie.

I'd love to take just the little genie client box... but would that mean we lose DVR-ability in the RV?

I don't want to mess with the main genie box - it's loaded with programs and needs to keep recording when we're away.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
When we added Genie we kept our HD-DVR. We use it on the road and when at home it is connected to our system there. We record shows and movies we want to watch when camping.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have the Genie and a genie client mini that we had in our house and 2 years ago we got the Winegard Trav'ler installed on the fifth wheel. Now we just leave the network adapter at home and take the Genie and the mini client with us when we go. We have access to all of our recorded shows on the client or the genie receiver. The only thing we don't have is access to be able to stream on demand stuff, but everything else works just like it does at the house.

Rod

porthole

Retired
Does Wingard or anyone else make a portable satellite that will receive HD quality for DirecTV? I see it all day long for Dish but see nothing on the Wingard site for DTV.

With DirecTV if you want HD you have to have the large dish (oval instead of round).
The portable automatic antennas for Direct are SD.

TxCowboy

With DirecTV if you want HD you have to have the large dish (oval instead of round).
The portable automatic antennas for Direct are SD.

Yeah, that's what I gathered from reading the DTV website. Sucks. I really like DTV much better than the others but we need to have a portable dish.

porthole

Retired
Yeah, that's what I gathered from reading the DTV website. Sucks. I really like DTV much better than the others but we need to have a portable dish.

You can have a portable dish, just not automatic (well I supposed you could if you wanted to make a Traveler portable).
Portable is a relative term, are you looking for a set it and forget 2 foot square antenna or are you willing to assemble your antenna mount it on a tripod and aim it (10-15 minutes typical)?

Look at the SAT link in my signature, a lot of info on doing what you are looking to do.

TxCowboy

Duane, thanks for the link. I remember that old thread. :)

Portable for our use would mean auto-tracking and self-contained as we'll be using it at two different locations each week. The tabletop models would be perfect if they had DirecTV HD capability. Both RVs are pre-wired for satellite. The LM is specifically wired for Winegard but I'm not tied to that provider if other options are available.

Time to review that old thread. :)