Direct TV

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stayed at two private RV parks on the way to the Vegas Rally . . . one had wifi but it didn't work, the other didn't offer it.

At the Vegas Rally, I could connect to the wifi at the site, but it didn't work at the site we were in (all my neighbors said the same thing), but going to the main building the wifi worked.

On the way home we stayed at a KOA in Richfield, UT and another KOA in Grand Junction, CO . . . both had awesome wifi.

SNOKING

We stayed at two private RV parks on the way to the Vegas Rally . . . one had wifi but it didn't work, the other didn't offer it.

At the Vegas Rally, I could connect to the wifi at the site, but it didn't work at the site we were in (all my neighbors said the same thing), but going to the main building the wifi worked.

On the way home we stayed at a KOA in Richfield, UT and another KOA in Grand Junction, CO . . . both had awesome wifi.

Well that just shows that Colorado pothead techs know their WiFi stuff. Toke on!

Colorado.jpg

danemayer

From a WiFi standpoint, I've had an interesting trip east. Stopped at campgrounds in Ogallala, NE, Lincoln, NE, and Davenport, IA. At all 3 my Edimax unit was able to stream Netflix without any problems.

porthole

Retired
From a WiFi standpoint, I've had an interesting trip east. Stopped at campgrounds in Ogallala, NE, Lincoln, NE, and Davenport, IA. At all 3 my Edimax unit was able to stream Netflix without any problems.

Ah Dan - two things - are we supposed to guess at what this magic "edimax" thing is that actually works ?

And Iowa barely even qualifies for a trip east and Nebraska is about dead center ;)

For a moment I thought you might have actually made it out East

danemayer

Ah Dan - two things - are we supposed to guess at what this magic "edimax" thing is that actually works ?

And Iowa barely even qualifies for a trip east and Nebraska is about dead center ;)

For a moment I thought you might have actually made it out East

Well, I was in Las Vegas and headed toward the rising sun for close to 2000 miles. Elkhart isn't the atlantic coast, but it's pretty far east for me.

The device is an Edimax BR6478AC-V2 WISP Router. On signal reception, it seems to work about at least as well, maybe better, than my Pepwave Surf-on-the-go did when combined with a signal booster. It connects on 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz to the campground WiFi, and provides either a 5 GHz or 2.4 Ghz WiFi signal to my devices.

I connect on 5 GHz to the campground when possible, and always on 5 GHz with my devices that are capable. And to 2.4 GHz for the devices that aren't capable, like the printer, and DW's laptop.

Campground WiFi is seriously compromised by channel contention and interference on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Moving to a 5 GHz connection is a big improvement. Also, if you can get an 802.11AC source, which some campgrounds are starting to provide, the protocol provides bigtime improvements in quality of service. Which all means you get a better signal and a much better shot at streaming.

Kbvols

I've had a couple of not-so-great phone conversations with DirecTV CS as well.

I tried to renegotiate my deal and they refused . . .

Which is why after almost 5 years with them I may either switch to Dish or put up a roof antenna.
I had the same issue with Direct finally got fed up and switched to Dish...wasn't long after I switched I received frequent calls wanting me back. After several months of telling them to stop calling me I finally had to threaten legal action before they stopped.

SNOKING

Well, I was in Las Vegas and headed toward the rising sun for close to 2000 miles. Elkhart isn't the atlantic coast, but it's pretty far east for me.

The device is an Edimax BR6478AC-V2 WISP Router. On signal reception, it seems to work about at least as well, maybe better, than my Pepwave Surf-on-the-go did when combined with a signal booster. It connects on 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz to the campground WiFi, and provides either a 5 GHz or 2.4 Ghz WiFi signal to my devices.

I connect on 5 GHz to the campground when possible, and always on 5 GHz with my devices that are capable. And to 2.4 GHz for the devices that aren't capable, like the printer, and DW's laptop.

Campground WiFi is seriously compromised by channel contention and interference on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Moving to a 5 GHz connection is a big improvement. Also, if you can get an 802.11AC source, which some campgrounds are starting to provide, the protocol provides bigtime improvements in quality of service. Which all means you get a better signal and a much better shot at streaming.

And RV parks and other customers just love it when a few people start streaming video and stuck the parks upstream pipe dry. Just saying, and have been guilty myself from time to time. My high power UBNT WiFi repeater/router will over power other users. Just using MiFi(s), I have both a T-Mobile and Verizon one, so far this year.

danemayer

RV parks and other customers just love it when a few people start streaming video and stuck the parks upstream pipe dry.

At Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge, we had a 50 Mb/sec pipe feeding the system and as with most campgrounds, the thought was that we had too many users sucking up data. The system was virtually unusable. Actually, it turns out we had a bunch of problems; the worst of which was congestion on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

With our new equipment handling 2.4 GHz communications better, and a lot of users now on 5 GHz, the situation is completely different. We now encourage video streaming, allowing each site 2 connections, each good for 10 Gigabytes of data per day at 7 Mb/sec. Then they get slowed down to 1 Mb/sec which is fine for everything except video streaming. The system is designed to deliver the same kind of internet experience you would have at home.

In the off season, we're running 40-80 users consuming between 500 MBytes and 12 GBytes of data per day. Yet our peak aggregate consumption at the pipe is only occasionally hitting 40 Mb/sec. Most of the time it's 10-20 Mb/sec.

All that to say that I'm now less concerned about hogging the pipe as I doubt it's the primary problem with most WiFi installations.

SNOKING

At Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge, we had a 50 Mb/sec pipe feeding the system and as with most campgrounds, the thought was that we had too many users sucking up data. The system was virtually unusable. Actually, it turns out we had a bunch of problems; the worst of which was congestion on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

With our new equipment handling 2.4 GHz communications better, and a lot of users now on 5 GHz, the situation is completely different. We now encourage video streaming, allowing each site 2 connections, each good for 10 Gigabytes of data per day at 7 Mb/sec. Then they get slowed down to 1 Mb/sec which is fine for everything except video streaming. The system is designed to deliver the same kind of internet experience you would have at home.

In the off season, we're running 40-80 users consuming between 500 MBytes and 12 GBytes of data per day. Yet our peak aggregate consumption at the pipe is only occasionally hitting 40 Mb/sec. Most of the time it's 10-20 Mb/sec.

All that to say that I'm now less concerned about hogging the pipe as I doubt it's the primary problem with most WiFi installations.

Dan I met a couple in Idaho with a a really nice custom painted 2005-6 Travel Supreme that winter there with it. I wonder if you know them? Got Ski's! Chris

danemayer

Is the a regular wifi router for use in the home?

Or is that one for use to extend wifi at an RV park?
It has 5 modes and can do home and RV but the configuration SW will pretty much make you start from scratch at each change. You might be able to shortcut that by saving profiles for each.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Porthole: Have you looked into Dish Network home internet? This was set up for remote ranchers and the like, but isn't portable like their satellite TV service (no good for RVers).

Also, I still see some Hughes Network and other satellite internet dishes in use - in fact, Thousand Trails Yosemite Lakes uses that as their park internet provider.

I cannot find anything that makes "common" sense. Only packages bundled with TV and from what appears to be internet and DSL. DSL is not available in my area though.